PDA

View Full Version : Q2: ALWAYS Blue Line when OEI??

GoneWest
31st Jul 2002, 02:46
Decided on a series of questions - feel free to jump in with your own question, using the next number.

Q2: ALWAYS Blue Line when OEI??

Consider flying a light twin - say, Seminole, Seneca, Aztec etc.

One engine inoperative.

With a healthy throttle setting on the operating engine during a straight and level operation (including downwind in the circuit/pattern) - the aircraft can maintain - lets say - 25 knots above "blue line".

Would you prefer to fly the aircraft with the extra power and more spead - or fly at blue line, with minimum power required, and be more protective of the operating engine??

Turbine
31st Jul 2002, 04:15
I know this doesn't answer your question at all GoneWest, but there are a couple of related threads you should have a look at (for a start):

Light twin asymmetric decision heights (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48994&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)
Asymmetric performance for a/c less than 5700kgs (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22851)

Both good recent threads that capitalise on the knowledge of the likes of john_tullamarine & Chuck Ellsworth.

StrateandLevel
31st Jul 2002, 20:11
Blue Line is the best single engine climb speed under specified conditiions.

Would you fly a normal circuit at Blue Line? Of course not, so why fly a single engine circuit at that speed when energy management is critical. You want as much energy downwind as you can get.

I remember a candidate on a check who tried it, when he turned base he took gear and flap and needed full power in the descent to try and retain Blue Line.

Remember the Army rule don't come off high ground unless you have to, its much harder to get back!

dragchute
31st Jul 2002, 23:23
The ‘blue line’ represents single engine best rate of climb speed – Vyse. If faced with obstacle clearance on the take-off flight path then Vxse would be preferred, at least until achieving a safe height above such obstacles. The student should be aware of both speeds so that he/she can formulate a safe departure plan should engine failure occur.

As ‘Strateandlevel’ suggests it is a climb speed and any subsequent cruise and descent will be completed at a higher speed. However, the speed may be used in a single engine approach plan. By that I mean as a minimum speed until landing is assured after which the manufacturers recommended approach speed becomes the target. If a missed approach is executed, the pilot simply flies the blue radial until cleaned-up and established in the climb (no obstacles). The techniques simplifies missed approaches and ensures a safe margin above Vmca.

Low-Pass
1st Aug 2002, 09:15
Well if I had the fuel, I wouldn't be hanging around "blue line" except during a go-round climb. Remember, "Speed is Life" - it gives you more options.