PDA

View Full Version : California Wildfires

Davidsoffice
26th Nov 2018, 11:13
Given the devastating damage to properties due to recent wildfires I'm surprised that there haven't been reports of airfields being damaged. Does anyone know of any?
I'm guessing there are tree clearances areas around airfield perimeters anyway so maybe the chances of fire damage are slim.

Pilot DAR
26th Nov 2018, 14:05
The territory of the fires is mostly hilly land not well suited to airports. I did pick up a 182RG a few years back fairly close to the "Camp" fire area, that airport was literally a carved off hill top. That said, I think that the citizens of that area are in such shock, they're probably not thinking airplanes much.

Further south in California, friends of mine who work at a fair sized airport, last year sent me a couple of photos they took of a DC-10 waterbomber dropping loads behind a ridge on the other side of the street which serves the airport. The aircraft is seen well below the hill tops behind, and through (not above) the electricity wires which run along that street.

MarkerInbound
26th Nov 2018, 15:36
Just overlaying the Cal Fire maps on a sectional it looks like the only airport in the burn area for the Camp Fire and the Woolsey Fire is the Paradise airport CA92. It is a private field with a 3000 foot runway that required advance permission for non tenant aircraft. There are reports that some people sheltered on the runway as the fire burned the area.

ChampChump
27th Nov 2018, 12:49
Slight thread drift, but too impressive to ignore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=0CbWkfCA9tc

custardpsc
28th Nov 2018, 08:15
If it is of interest, have a look on skyvector at the TFR for the firefighting aircraft. Its huge...