PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 210 Auxiliary Fuel Pump Switch

Vate
25th Nov 2018, 08:11
Evidently Cessna changed the hi pressure side of the auxiliary fuel pump double rocker switch from a spring loaded one to a non spring loaded version on the C210.
Does anyone know when this occurred and hopefully from what serial model onwards?

gassed budgie
26th Nov 2018, 01:19
Evidently Cessna changed the hi pressure side of the auxiliary fuel pump double rocker switch from a spring loaded one to a non spring loaded version on the C210.
Does anyone know when this occurred and hopefully from what serial model onwards?

As far as I'm aware, it (as described above) remained spring loaded right through until the end of production in '86.

Bend alot
26th Nov 2018, 06:58
During the 100 hly you depress the switch listen for the click - release listen for the click.

The spring loaded are good but the hydraulic ones some time need a top up of fluid - from memory CO Contact Cleaner is the Mil Spec Fluid.

Captain Nomad
26th Nov 2018, 08:01
Vate's balus is broke and his/her boss is trying to convince them otherwise... :E

I could see some serious potential problems with that switch NOT being sprung loaded...

mustafagander
26th Nov 2018, 08:36
What does the POH say about the operation of this switch - momentary on/off or switched? What does the MM say about it?

Me_3
26th Nov 2018, 09:23
Has the 210 had an engine upgrade to an io550 by any chance? Some upgrades do change the switch setup.

Flying Bean
15th Dec 2018, 16:26
Came across this thread when looking at some C210 accident history.

I had an io550 conversion done on my 1980 C210 (in South Africa) and as far as I remember the fuel pump switch remained as a spring loaded rocker.

On another aircraft I had some interesting history with the same style of Fuel Pump.
I was ferrying a C206 from Joburg to Lusaka (same spring loaded rocker switch). The aircraft was straight out of some maintenance work. 50nm to go and the engine starts to wind down as if no fuel. Plenty in the tanks,so I switched to both tanks and pushed the rocker in. The engine picked up but only about 50% power. As soon as I released the rocker it starts to die. I was at about 7000ft agl. With the rocker held in I was able to keep the engine going but not maintain altitude, but it at least it gave me some extra minutes to try and select a forced landing site.
Bush was very thick and nothing was available so I just stalled it into the biggest tree I could find.
Got down with one broken wing and very bent airframe, but no fire. 3 pax were ok.
My Injuries were serious due to the fact I had to hold the stick with my left hand and leaning forward had my right arm across my chest to hold the fuel switch in position. Thus I only had my lap strap on and no chest strap. My face left an imprint on the control panel!
But the main point of interest was that the fuel failure was caused by maintenance not tightening the nuts on the fuel spider which sat on top of the cylinder block. Hence when they worked loose after 4/5 hours the fuel was spraying out instead of going into the cylinders. By activating the booster pump I was spraying a strong jet of fuel for several minutes onto a very hot set of cylinders. By rights I should have exploded in a fireball long before I reached the ground!
Another nugget of experience and I managed another 15 years of exciting bush flying.
��