PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Wings 1956

Airtoday
30th Jul 2002, 21:48
Hello

Arctic Wings in Churchill 1956. I have had a look on and in the history channel.

My father was a flight engineer with them then. As a result of this I lived in Churchill then (eight years old). Anyone out there with parents/grandparents who remember that place and time.

They were flying Avro Yorks then up to the DEW line.

justcurious
31st Jul 2002, 04:52
The old arctic wings were active all along the coast. One of the Yorks had a bad day at Cape Parry. Oneof the engines is still there, but the rest has all been dragged off. Doing the sort of flying they did, with decent maps altimeter settings a GPS and a half decent watch to set my astro compass , I really have to admire the job they did.

Airtoday
15th Aug 2002, 22:43
If you could give me more information about where and when I would be grateful.

justcurious
16th Aug 2002, 03:33
I'll have to rummage around to find the date and circumstances. I will be flying there some time this week, and I'll take a few pics of the site. If there's time I'll see if I can find the remaining Merlin. The prop is the only decoration in the site kitchen.

There's another bellied-in in Resolute Bay, not far from a USAAF DC4, that's in much better shape. I just don't know where my CD of YRB pics is these days.

PaperTiger
16th Aug 2002, 03:50
And Hall Beach (CF-HMX Arctic Wings).

http://www2.magmacom.com/~lwilson/foxm-2-jh.jpg

3 Yorks crashed in 6 weeks in the spring of '55, 7 in 18 months, 2 on the same day 13 Sept 56.

Airtoday
17th Aug 2002, 22:07
Paper Tiger

Where did that information come from. Do you know more details or have access to anyone else who does?

I am really very interested because when I went to school in Churchill in 1956 my father did not get home often because his Avro York had always crashed somewhere between Baffin Island and Frobisher Bay.

If you know anything please tell me.

Airtoday

PaperTiger
17th Aug 2002, 23:43
Basic details at
http://aviation-safety.net/database/type/070.shtml

I doubt there are any full reports that far back.