PDA

View Full Version : Idiot uses hand held radio on tower frequency to contact aircraft in Buenos Aires

rotornut
14th Nov 2018, 10:38
https://www.rt.com/news/443915-argentina-imposter-airport-traffic/

Officer Kite
14th Nov 2018, 12:13
it became clear that somebody was messing around since the vector Penín told the captain to use did not correspond to the runway.

I've never been given a vector on the ground corresponding to a RWY so don't follow this bit

Checkboard
14th Nov 2018, 13:17
Probably "Take-off Runway 23" ,,, when the duty runway was 28 or something similar.

nevillestyke
14th Nov 2018, 16:50
I knew an ex-captain who used a hand-held to sometimes talk to the tower, without abusing the privilege. However, he got his set confiscated, one day, when a nearby Phillips RF engineer happened to overhear him using it.

RealUlli
14th Nov 2018, 19:25
I knew an ex-captain who used a hand-held to sometimes talk to the tower, without abusing the privilege. However, he got his set confiscated, one day, when a nearby Phillips RF engineer happened to overhear him using it.

I heard about quite a few private pilots that carry hand-held radios in case of electrical failure in the aircraft. (Much safer than just squawking NORDO...)

I think I also heard someone mentioning picking up their clearance before powering up the aircraft...

mike734
14th Nov 2018, 20:07
I heard about quite a few private pilots that carry hand-held radios in case of electrical failure in the aircraft. (Much safer than just squawking NORDO...)

I think I also heard someone mentioning picking up their clearance before powering up the aircraft...

I was inbound to Juneau recently and had to go around because the tower had cleared a Piper Cub to land via cell phone but had lost contact with him when he hung up! We were a little too close for comfort so we went around and landed opposite direction a few minutes later.

AN2 Driver
14th Nov 2018, 22:29

Both of which is useful. Many even have the radio added to their aircrafts radio license.

As for getting the clearance e.t.c this makes a lot of sense, as in smaller planes, starting up the radios draws quite some power and they need to be shut down again for engine start to avoid damage. Particularly in cold days getting ATIS and clearance from delivery is practical using a handheld, so you don't have to do that.