PDA

View Full Version : Test tomorrow

Viggen
30th Jul 2002, 14:21
How's this for a skills test route:

Barton - Warrington - Rednall (thru Liverpool Class D) - East Midlands (via Sleap, Shawbury) then o'head Nantwich, back up the low level route, into Barton. And the customary diversion upon return to Barton (simulated closure of airfield) now dare I pick Manchester?

Wish me luck - and better weather...

RotorHorn
30th Jul 2002, 14:52
That'll keep you busy!

Good luck - although I think the weather may be against you....

MANCHESTER EGCC 30/18-12Z 33007KT 7000 BKN020 TEMPO 1803 2000 +TSGR BKN009CB TEMPO 0009 1400 BR -RADZ BKN004 PROB30 TEMPO 0207 0600 FG BKN001=

:eek: :eek:

I'll keep me fingers crossed for you on both counts....

Vortex what...ouch!
30th Jul 2002, 15:35
Good luck. You will be fine :)

Let us all know how you got on.

dublinpilot
30th Jul 2002, 15:42
Best of luck.

But remember... you will make mistakes. The examiner expects that you will make mistakes.

He is there to make sure you are safe, not absolutly perfect. So when you do make those mistakes, don't get too dishartened. Put them behind you and keep going. Don't give up untill it's over.

And good luck.

Viggen
30th Jul 2002, 16:26
thanks guys... as for the weather though, there's a bl**dy monsoon going on outside at the moment, so unless I can get some seaplane training in before tomorrow morning and put floats on ... it's looking marginal for this week!

As an aside ... the Grob being plastic and low-wing would probably float very nicely on it's own, don't you reckon?

AerBabe
30th Jul 2002, 16:45
Of course you would choose Manchester, in a real situation... If you have to divert, you want to go somewhere big where they will look after you well (depending on the reason for the diversion of course!). For your test though, make things as easy for yourself as possible ;)

Fingers crossed the weather holds out for you! :)

Keef
30th Jul 2002, 19:53
Hope it works out, Viggen! After a week of roasting weather, you have to choose the monsoon season for your skills test?

Enjoy it - probably some of the busiest flying you'll do for a long time.

Let us all know (you will!)

BEagle
30th Jul 2002, 20:29
Ermm - the Examiner is not permitted to give you the route the day before the Skill Test...... You're supposed to get it after the introductory pre-test brief and then to have around 1 hr to plan before you give your pre-flight brief.

The route you mention should be 'uninterrupted' on the first leg. On the second (from Rednal) you should expect the diversion after about 5 or 10 minutes - you certainly shouldn't expect to fly much further than Stafford before being given the diversion.

Good luck with the Wx - The vis. should be >6 km generally, but not <3000m at any stage. Cloud? For you nav route, generally >1500' agl but not <1100'; for the GH not <1500' (not <2500' for stalling). Wind velocity < 30KT, and crosswind < aeroplane limits. If it's worse than this - DO NOT FLY until you've asked your FE to refer to the FE Handbook, page A2-1, for these recommended Wx limits!

Hope it goes OK!!

tacpot
31st Jul 2002, 21:15
Had Rednall for a turning point on my Skill Test as well - found it very difficult to spot from the air, but using the shape of railway line I figured out where it must be, and sure enough it was.

(Never found Coal Aston when looking for it recently though :D)

Best wishes for the test and the weather to do it in.

sennadog
1st Aug 2002, 09:17
Viggen , so what happened?

Cat.S
1st Aug 2002, 12:24
Good luck Viggen, but having just looked out of the window, I don't think you'll be on today. The only thing that's gone through the LLR today was fast and very low. Even the birds are grounded!