PDA

View Full Version : CPDLC frequency change question

norse12
31st Oct 2018, 11:50
Hello, a quick question for pilots here. If you are already on a radar heading, and then subsequently receive a CPDLC message from ATC with the frequency for the next sector, does the CPDLC message reiterate that you should report the radar heading to the next sector or does it just simply give you the frequency? Hopefully this would be implied anyway but would be good to know what you receive on your end. Also I assume the next sector frequency message you receive is the same on FANS/ATN CPDLC?
Many thanks!

5LY
31st Oct 2018, 11:54
If you're already on a radar heading then you must have radio contact. You wouldn't or shouldn't be getting CPDLC instructions. I would check with the sector that you're talking to to see what they want you to do.

eckhard
31st Oct 2018, 11:59
I’ve had heading instructions via CPDLC.

I’ve also had a CPDLC frequency change while on a radar heading and the message always(?) includes a request to inform the next sector about the assigned heading.

These scenarios have been with London and Maastricht but I can’t remember whether it was via ATN or FANS.

norse12
31st Oct 2018, 13:10
If you're already on a radar heading then you must have radio contact. You wouldn't or shouldn't be getting CPDLC instructions. I would check with the sector that you're talking to to see what they want you to do.

Sorry I should have clarified, yes you already have voice contact established too. So ATC gave a radar heading via voice, then later gives a contact message via CPDLC. I was just wondering if the CPDLC message with the next sector frequency included any reitiration to report the heading.

norse12
31st Oct 2018, 13:12
I’ve had heading instructions via CPDLC.

I’ve also had a CPDLC frequency change while on a radar heading and the message always(?) includes a request to inform the next sector about the assigned heading.

These scenarios have been with London and Maastricht but I can’t remember whether it was via ATN or FANS.

Thanks that's very helpful, glad to hear that the CPDLC frequency change automatically includes a request to inform the next sector about the assigned heading. Cheers!

agg_karan
1st Nov 2018, 05:13
Norse12- if it’s over Maastricht i think it’s ATN CPDLC :)

777newbie
9th Nov 2018, 13:02
Probably shouldn't be altering the initial question enroute but..... cpdlc message received to climb to a new altitilude (or any other instruction for that matter), do we need to wait until the message is "sent" before acting on the instruction?. Sometimes there can be a delay between "sending" and "sent" of a minute or more.

Smithy02
9th Nov 2018, 17:10
No you do not need to wait until the ROGER or WILCO displays SENT. The clearance or instruction is valid from the time the controller issues it.

S02