PDA

View Full Version : (flight safety) Interview questions for pilots

The_Aviator101
16th Oct 2018, 23:23
Hi guys,

I have an interview coming up and I've heard that the following questions may be asked. Can any (experienced) pilot maybe tell me how you deal/best answer the following questions. I'm also eager to hear how pilots flying encounter the following in real time operations. Especially the one about Environment & surroundings, apart from Noise Abatement Procedures and buying your organic coffee at the departure gate ;)

How do you as a pilot do you deal with:

Flight safety
Operations integrity (how do you make sure to arrive and depart on time)
Costs and benefits
Environment & surroundings
Passengers
Employees (colleagues)

Also maybe some inspiration about proper interview questions that you can ask at the end when you get the possibility by the recruiters. Things as: "How long does the type rating take". Any other idea' s ?

Your help is much appreciated.

Notso Fantastic
13th Nov 2018, 10:59
Nobody answered?
How about follow correct established procedures at all times without exception. Form own opinion of day to day events always viewed with an eye to safety. Keep up with the operation as it develops to be aware of danger points and potential dangers developing. Always support the other pilot in his endeavours to carry out these things to the best of his ability. Be prepared to report transgressions of safety rules and occasionally put good ideas to higher authority.
Keep aware of the operation and what is happening around you. Keep monitoring external factors to try and ensure all processes get completed in a timely fashion, observing the rules at all times.
Always operate in accordance with the flying manuals keeping efficiency and safety factors at the top of your mind.
Think 'green', operating efficiently and trying to save fuel and costs. Sometimes you have to carry fuel to reduce uplift at expensive stations though. Be aware of noise problems (full flap higher power approaches at night, full reverse thrust on landing?), following noise reducing routings.
Be extremely civil to passengers- they pay your salary! Be always aware of their needs, safety and comfort, with these uppermost in your mind.
Treat all staff with respect and be aware of their safety at all times, whether at work or off duty (ensure they are not left to it on downroute slips). Take care of your colleagues and be ready to speak to themor draw your managers attention to any dangerous patterns of behaviour you see.

You can go on and on, but this sort of framework gets you started. Give it more thought, add a some points of your own, but basically they want to see that you are aware and naturally receptive of this pattern of thinking.

The_Aviator101
13th Nov 2018, 20:14
Hello Notso,

Thank you very much for taking the time to think about my questions and come up with this great story. Some of the answers like the full reverse thrust really cuts the ice. Its not always necessary unless told mandatory in company SOP's maybe.

I deeply appreciate it. I hope other experienced pilot can pitch in and add some points but i got something to build on now.

alf5071h
17th Nov 2018, 08:33
You should manage these situations by acting on what you assess at that time; if in extreme circumstances this means deviating from SOPs then you should be able to justify the decision afterwards, what ever the outcome good or bad.
The risks identified by outcome should not be used to judge the risk assessed in the decision - hindsight bias.
Do get drawn into specifics; these are no win arguments.
Safety is what is both required and done at the time, by the person there.
Safety is not something you have or a set standard. Safety is what you do, what you create.