PDA

View Full Version : Small Planet PL bankrupt

safelife
8th Oct 2018, 21:58
Small Planet Poland is bankrupt, all flights are suspended with effect from midnight (now).

Interesting development in view of their other EASA AOC, Small Planet Germany also being under administration.

rog747
9th Oct 2018, 07:49
Bravo Tours Denmark which used Primera Air announced last week that Small Planet PL would take over their flying contracts - The reference to SP airlines has now been removed.

Bravo need to find a carrier for their 450000 pax for next season S19...

Aso
9th Oct 2018, 08:04
So that leaves SP in Lithuania and in Thailand? Interesting development... Higher oil prices and rising pilot cost are not helping I guess...

Michael S
9th Oct 2018, 08:20
It looks like a difficult time is coming back. So many are bankkrupting now that it can’t go unnoticed.

Airone2977
9th Oct 2018, 08:31
Perhaps pilot shortage might be one of the issue on this case.

richardthethird
9th Oct 2018, 08:42
Next up, smartlynx and avion. Bring it on chaps, see you on the other side.

Denti
9th Oct 2018, 09:16
I believe smartlynx actually had quite a good year so far, huge and profitable wetlease contracts. They basically ran easyJets TXL base for most of the year, just phasing out now, with up to 10 aircraft. Another aircraft or two flying for Condor (Thomas Cook Germany) and so on. There was a lot of demand for wet lease this year, and with the bankruptcies piling up there will be even more next year.

RoyHudd
9th Oct 2018, 10:31
It all depends on margins. The wet lease boys have a lot of extra costs to deal with when working for the bigger airlines. Small Planet PL will be the thin end of the wedge. More bankruptcies are sure to follow soon. No names.

Diavel
9th Oct 2018, 10:52
Small Planet Airlines is another company that will not be missed by many. Hope the aircrews will find a better airline to work for soon.
Which one next. Smartlynx, or WOW or Wizz? The more of these companies with lousy employment contract, pay to fly, etc. that goes under, the better it is for our industry

macdo
9th Oct 2018, 10:59
Worth noting that although Smartlynx do work for Thomas Cook, Thomas Cook has joined the ACMI bandwagon with its own brand of ACMI operation called Thomas Cook Balearics based in PMI. If you can't beat them........

Bigpants
9th Oct 2018, 12:49
Airlines do tend to go bust at the end of the summer season and just before payday for the staff. No doubt the management will re appear next year with a brand new idea & airline.

gtaflyer
9th Oct 2018, 13:42
Wow (excuse thepun) so another one bites the dust. One of my friends said they closed the gdansk base but I did not realise they were in this deep trouble. Sorry to my ex colleagues hope u find another job.

gtaflyer
9th Oct 2018, 14:10
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/275x183/images_1__7777e89ce21a56e6c6318474b9cbd4e811733f65.jpeg

No more skittles to give to the kids

nightfright
9th Oct 2018, 14:23
It states that there is a fleet reduction - so contracting a fleet is not good, but reading this does not look like its bankrupt but starting to struggle
https://www.smallplanet.aero/en/about-small-planet-airlines/news/news/small-planet-airlines-poland-seeking-additional-investment-by-restructuring/73044​​​​​​

TBSC
9th Oct 2018, 15:33
It states that there is a fleet reduction - so contracting a fleet is not good, but reading this does not look like its bankrupt but starting to struggle
https://www.smallplanet.aero/en/about-small-planet-airlines/news/news/small-planet-airlines-poland-seeking-additional-investment-by-restructuring/73044​​​​​​
Reducing the fleet from 10 to 2 aircraft (one of which is only wet-leased) is more than a starting struggle.

Officer Kite
9th Oct 2018, 16:10
Reducing the fleet from 10 to 2 aircraft (one of which is only wet-leased) is more than a starting struggle.
but it's also not a bankruptcy, does anyone have any source to them being bankrupt? I can't find any

ttodd
9th Oct 2018, 16:15
Flew back from the Gambia last year and the plane was packed [? Airbus] very old plane with dicloured, crazed, plastic wash basins etc. Big drama as a crazy female passenger refused to sit down and had to be arrested in a diversion to, I think, Agadir, so we arrived back at some ungodly hour.
The captain handled everything with charm and tolerance, as did the rest of the crew, so it ain't their fault. They couldn't have been nicer in a difficult situation and a packedf aircraft.
I hope all the crew get jobs straight away!

David Sharpe
9th Oct 2018, 16:42
Presumably Ryanair Sun's appearance in the Polish IT market in Summer 2018 has not helped them, and I understand that they are hoping to put further aircraft in this market during Summer 2019

UAV689
9th Oct 2018, 16:51
Presumably Ryanair Sun's appearance in the Polish IT market in Summer 2018 has not helped them, and I understand that they are hoping to put further aircraft in this market during Summer 2019

yep...all poland based aircraft to operate under ryr sun, even doing the ryr flights. All pilots and CC been told to resign and join a new micky mouse agency with worse terms...such as report sick, 400e fine, late checkin, 400e fine...they even must get liability insurance to operate! Ryr is actively promoting tax avoidance to these crews stating they can pay as little tax as they wish...after getting stung in germany you would have thought that molly had learnt his lesson.

Really hope people dont agree to these terms, the eastern bloc is becoming a dumping ground for all human rights, and the good old eu sits idly by...

ShotOne
9th Oct 2018, 16:56
"..rising pilot costs not helping...". If they're rising above manual labourer rates that's surely not such a bad thing?

Klimax
9th Oct 2018, 23:26
****ty CoS. Not to be missed by industry pros. Sorry for concerned crew and orher staff - NOT including the beancounters and investors. Bye bye.

gtaflyer
10th Oct 2018, 07:24
I cannot understand how anyone would be willing to invest in an airline that is not making any money knowing full well they will never get there money back. Interesting to see if Ryanair will be putting money in to prop up small planet. As I understand SPA is in ICU with no visitors allowed and someone to switch off life support?

gtaflyer
10th Oct 2018, 07:27
It could be called RYANAIR Small....u:O

ShotOne
10th Oct 2018, 11:42
+1, lolo. Let's hope this is a low-water mark. If they can't make money offering such low pay the company simply shouldn't exist. Sorry for the crews but happy the game's up for the bean-counters and investors.

Affretage
27th Oct 2018, 02:56
Same scam as with XL, Viking Hellas, Tor Airlines etc etc. No doubt unrefunded tour operator deposits will be used to start yet another 'parachute' airline. The fact that Halldor Sigurdarson is still running the finances at Small Planet would suggest that PW (XL) has been behind this shower of sh1t. Tour operators never learn. The money they have lost will be used to lauch yet another new airline. And guess what, these idiots will book again. They will never learn their lesson. My guess is that PW will use his ill gotten gains to launch 'Scanblu', another Swedish 'parachute airline'. So, the story goes on ..........

Chidken Sangwich
27th Oct 2018, 09:32
Same scam as with XL, Viking Hellas, Tor Airlines etc etc. No doubt unrefunded tour operator deposits will be used to start yet another 'parachute' airline. The fact that Halldor Sigurdarson is still running the finances at Small Planet would suggest that PW (XL) has been behind this shower of sh1t. Tour operators never learn. The money they have lost will be used to lauch yet another new airline. And guess what, these idiots will book again. They will never learn their lesson. My guess is that PW will use his ill gotten gains to launch 'Scanblu', another Swedish 'parachute airline'. So, the story goes on ..........

Blimey are YOU still bitter 10 years later...?

ShotOne
27th Oct 2018, 20:15
..except it’s not ten years later. It’s the same trick being played again and again Yes, tour operators never learn -or perhaps aren’t bothered since it always falls apart at end of season so it’s just the flight crews left with no job and (usually) down a couple of months pay.

Hotel Tango
27th Oct 2018, 20:30
Blimey are YOU still bitter 10 years later...?

What an odd statement! It's a business model which keeps repeating itself without, it seems, any punishment for those responsible. I'd be bitter too.

safelife
28th Oct 2018, 06:10
Small Planet Germany will cease operations as of 31st October.
Notice letters to crew being printed, and will be sent out tomorrow.

TheEdge
28th Oct 2018, 08:58
Small Planet Germany will cease operations as of 31st October.
Notice letters to crew being printed, and will be sent out tomorrow.
is this something you know or just a rumor ?

booze
28th Oct 2018, 13:49
And SPL followed suit...

​http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/314880/small-planet-airlines-goes-into-insolvency​​​​​​

safelife
28th Oct 2018, 18:28
is this something you know or just a rumor ?

Inside fact...

FlightDetent
28th Oct 2018, 19:24
Caveat: Insolvency and closing down are two different animals (not disputing a word above).

Denti
29th Oct 2018, 04:38
According to a newsletter article last week the LBA informed small planet germany that their AOC will be suspended on 1st of November if they cannot produce a sound business plan with the required funding until the end of october. Therefore no flight operation will be legally possible from november on.

The same article cited some rumours that an investor might have been found. Without any name attached yet.

Denti
29th Oct 2018, 13:28
Well, apparently Small Planet Germany got a new end date of next sunday to get a financially sound business plan, is being reported on airliners.de (http://www.airliners.de/lba-small-planet-frist-sonntag/47447). Apparently they still negotiate with VLM Airlines and SF Aviation Holding BV. But even if that deal happens, it means a substantial downsizing of their fleet. It would include operating over the winter with just two aircraft, and during next summer with just three from only three remaining bases (CGN, DUS and LEJ). They cite a letter to the employees, which salary is supposedly secured until the end of November.

Aviateure
13th Nov 2018, 09:51
Stay away from those guys,they are a joke not professional at all.
They hired pilots in September and after conversion course they terminated their contract.Very unorganized and untrusted
Stay away

discus2
16th Nov 2018, 08:21
What will happen to the operation in Asia ?
are they ok there ?

FlightDetent
16th Nov 2018, 16:33
The KH operation is said to be only 30% Small Planet group. Think of it as sister-in-law.

The whole operation always relied on strong enough winter projects to keep the balance sheet positive.

The LT oldest sister which is also in insolvency protection counts on the Bamboo project that is still supposed to happen, even if delayed.

The German and Polish siblings are indebted so much that even with the insolvency protection they could not ever repay what is needed unless an investor is found. The LT core unit has a viable plan to make it through on their own, though the creditors will take a significant haircut. (this last paragraph is not my words).

​​​​​​

CargoOne
29th Nov 2018, 15:52
Small Planet LT lost license in Lithuania from upcoming midnight too. However, I believe that existing managers and executives (Kaikaris and Žiemelis) will open a new fresh company and continue the business. Actually there is a GetJet Airlines already - it's registered in 2016, in a flat which is located in low-end part of Vilnius, in a flat!

1. Ziemelis has nothing to do with SPA for many years, he sold it long ago.
2. GetJet has nothing to do with SPA or Z except flying for them from time to time.
3. Does it really matter where the company is legally registered? GetJet has an normal office, nothing fancy but not a flat.
4. Anything else?

captplaystation
1st Dec 2018, 07:33
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/318099/small-planet-folds-after-license-suspended

uberfly
6th Dec 2018, 08:03
Even pay to fly couldn't help them.

discus2
10th Dec 2018, 12:37
Apparently not so good on the Cambodizn side either:

https://cne.wtf/2018/12/08/small-planet-airlines-bites-the-dust/

kristofera
10th Dec 2018, 12:55
I have looked around a bit, but I wasn't able to find an answer to this: some Small Planet subsidiaries (Lithuania) seem to also have operated under the name SmartLynx. Is there any relationship between SmartLynx and Small Planet besides the occasional wet lease?

hid3
10th Dec 2018, 16:06
1. Ziemelis has nothing to do with SPA for many years, he sold it long ago.
2. GetJet has nothing to do with SPA or Z except flying for them from time to time.
3. Does it really matter where the company is legally registered? GetJet has an normal office, nothing fancy but not a flat.
4. Anything else?

Sold from his one pocket to another? There are lots of offshores controlled by him or people under his influence, that's what I know for sure.
And who is the actual owner of GetJet then?

TheEdge
11th Dec 2018, 07:04
I have looked around a bit, but I wasn't able to find an answer to this: some Small Planet subsidiaries (Lithuania) seem to also have operated under the name SmartLynx. Is there any relationship between SmartLynx and Small Planet besides the occasional wet lease?
This is a big nope

BluSdUp
29th Dec 2018, 09:59
Dear Me
That sounds terrible.
Do you have any more info?
First of all, Easy and RYR are ready for any and all crew that is interested.
I was in a company that went bust with two aircraft stranded in France, all had to get home on own expenses.
But Cambodia that is indeed a long haul.
Is the AOC European or local