PDA

View Full Version : Castle Bromwich factory

arthur harbrow
29th Jul 2002, 14:16
Where in relation to the M6 motorway was the Supermarine Castle Bromwich factory situated?

Spiney Norman
29th Jul 2002, 14:40
If I remember correctly...and I may not, it was to the East of the M6 about 2 miles beyond Fort Dunlop, (still standing). I'm thinking of the plant that used to belong to Pressed Steel Fisher postwar after aircraft manufacture had ceased. The best way to see it used to be from the Birmingham New Street to Nuneaton railway line. I've a feeling that some of the old factory buildings are still standing and in use but haven't been that way for some time.

Can anyone confirm?

Spiney

Dr Jekyll
29th Jul 2002, 15:44
North of the M6, very near Fort Dunlop but I can't remember which side. Most of the factory was demolished in the late 80's or early 90's, but part of the complex (including I believe some original buildings) is now used by Jaguar cars.

There is an east/west row of (I think 4) tower blocks forming an estate called Castle Vale on the site of the airfield.

Spiney Norman
29th Jul 2002, 18:04
Dr.Jekyll...you're absolutely right, it would help if I'd looked at a map and noticed that the M6 goes East-West, (or vice-versa) in that area! I remember the airfield before it was built on being a large grass area but have just found that there was a hard runway, 23/05 Concrete 650x50yds. I believe the new BMW engine plant is not far from the old airfield boundary, just shows how times change!

Spiney

wet wet wet
30th Jul 2002, 12:12
The factory is currently used by Jaguar, the field is now a housing estate. Alex Henshaw's book "Sigh for a Merlin" gives a good description.

forget
30th Jul 2002, 12:20
See http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/spitfirefactory/history.htm

arthur harbrow
30th Jul 2002, 13:09
Thanks for the answers.I have often crawled through one of those never ending traffic jams on the M6 and wondered where
the factory was.
Years ago an uncle of mine would regale me of his wartime
experiences working at Castle Bromwich, i am sure he had a
nickname for the factory but cannot for the life of me recall it.