PDA

View Full Version : Maycom AR108 Airband Radio

Piper Warrior Pilot
29th Jul 2002, 12:09
Hi guys

Does anyone have any information about the Maycom AR108 Airband Radio such as its reliability, performance etc...

Any help is appreciated

Thanks guys in advance

Newcastle Airport on the day of the Sunderland Airshow, 2001

ATCO to BA757 pilot: Speedbird 346 do you mind if the USAF F117 does a flypast before you takeoff on runway 25

BA757 Pilot: Not at all, im just picking him up on radar now

cargosales
29th Jul 2002, 12:14
Try calling one of the enthusiast shops. E.g. Air Supply in Yeadon, Leeds. Don't know a number. Try directory enquiries? Good guys, honest impartial advice etc.

Nopax,thanx
29th Jul 2002, 12:38
Yeah, I've got one; bought it from Lowe electronics earlier this year. I hummed and haahed about what to get as I've not the opportunity to listen to the military airbands, I just wanted something to replace my old £14 Murphy, which was cr@p but all I could afford at the time......

It's a nice little set - and I mean little - the box it comes in is the size of a paperback book. It's got useful features, like search and a good memory store, and the reception is fantastic. It was about £70 and for the price, a real bargain.

Lowe are very good as well - I had the unit in my hand 36 hours after ordering it one night. I think the unit has been renamed now as the Commtel 307 or something like that.

If you're after just listening to civil aircraft, it does the trick. The Yupiteru 7100 is a much more capable set, but that's in the £300 arena.

Piper Warrior Pilot
29th Jul 2002, 12:49
Thanks guys.

Does the memory allow you to enter the frequency followed by the name of the frequency eg. Newcastle Tower 119.7. After all it cant expect you to enter 99 frequencies and remember them all... can it?

Evo7
29th Jul 2002, 13:08
I've got one too - would also recommend it. Lives in my flight bag and is quite a handy thing to have. It doesn't let you name the frequencies, but it doesn't bother me. You'll recognise most, and I just look others up in Pooley's.

Piper Warrior Pilot
29th Jul 2002, 13:12
What is the sound on it like. I bought a Steepletone SAB 2000 on friday and the sound was terrible. I had to keep re-tuning it and even then, i could only get part of the transmissions so i took it back and now ive ordered the AR108.

Is the sound clear and once the frequency is saved in the memory will it always have a clear sound on it or is it quite hard still to understand what is being said?

Nopax,thanx
29th Jul 2002, 15:17
No, you can't enter a name against a freq. It is a budget device, after all.

Sound quality is superb. My old radio had loads of background noise and was always wandering off tune; with the AR-108 you select your saved freq. and use the squelch knob to turn it down until background noise is eliminated - anything on the freq. comes thru loud 'n' clear.

My son is at University in Egham, about five miles from Heathrow - I can hear the man on the ground talking from there; as you can imagine, the aircraft are clearer still. Also, the 108 is really tiny and robust - it will happily live in your pocket. I lost it in the car once!

rob_frost
29th Jul 2002, 20:36
If you want some detail try

strong signals review (http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=fi&class=recv&num=017)

Piper Warrior Pilot
29th Jul 2002, 21:50
Thanks everyone. Not long now until i can test it out for myself. So ill be up at newcastle tomorrow listening away.

If any here lives around the Newcastle Upon Tyne area and is looking for an excellent pilot shop which will order you anything you want from Transiar, AFE, Pilot Warehouse etc... next day delivery FREE, e-mail me and ill let you know where you can find it in Newcastle.

Ill not say on here because ill get called for advertising

Thanks for all of your help and good look with your flying, controlling, and all other aviation careers