PDA

View Full Version : Any Wycombe pilots here?

Evo7
29th Jul 2002, 07:23
Wycombe is going to be one of the stops on my QXC (hopefully next week, but I've got a couple of things to do first and this week's weather isn't looking helpful... :( ). I've not been there before, so any advice, do's, don't's etc. from the locals would be gratefully received.... :)

Wycombe
29th Jul 2002, 07:37
Evo....

Make sure you read up very carefully on Wycombe's joining and circuit procedures, as they are decidedly non-standard. This is principally because there is no deadside (as that side is used by gliders & tugs).

If it's busy, you should expect to be sent into the overhead, descending to fly overhead the runway (ie, along it) at 1200' QFE, then to execute a descending to turn to 1000' to join the downwind leg.

If departing from 25, you need to climb out on a *track* of approx 240, for noise abatement. If departing on 07, you need to execute a turn to track 020 as you pass the upwind end of the runway (can be fun!), due EFATO/noise considerations.

Also bear in mind that Wycombe has "proper" ATC, so you need to ask permission, and be cleared, to do everything. Also, when it's busy, there will be a Ground Frequency in use on 121.775.

This is just a quick summary of the main points to be aware of....hope it helps.

Cheers

Aussie Andy
29th Jul 2002, 12:16
Agree with all Wycombe's points, but don't be put off. If its weekday it won't be so busy, but weekends can be.

I would encourage you to read up the details on the o/head join in e.g. Bottlang or whatever - its as described above plus requiremetn to be I think 1500' in the base-leg area before 1200' on the runway QDM then turn onto downwind. But still may be easier than simply joining downwind if unfamiliar as our d/wind leg on 25/07 is pretty wide due noise abatement.

We have some good landmarks for approaching, especially on 25... your base turn will take place quite near to "The Golden Ball" which is the tower atop West Wycombe hill, and your turn onto final will take place over the Cressex industrial area which stands out thanks to contrast of the white roofs of the light industrial unit's versus the otherwise red-roofs of houses.

Presumably though, if this is QXC, you'll have been into Wycombe before on previous trips, perhaps with an instructor?

Feel free to email me if you want.

Evo7
29th Jul 2002, 12:51
Thanks chaps. Planning on doing it mid-week, so good to know it isn't going to be too busy.

AA - I will be flying to Wycombe with an instructor before my QXC (that's one of the things that the weather has got to let me do), but he's supposed to sit and do nothing while I get on with it.

AerBabe
29th Jul 2002, 18:44
WAP was my second stop for my Qx/c, and my main advice would be be careful !!! I did mine mid-week, but it was a lovely day in December, and so very busy. I had called in advance to check out the joining procedures, and they had changed by the time I got there. I was also passed the QNH instead of the QFE, but was relayed the correct pressure setting by another aircraft. As has been said, there are strict noise abatement rules there, but you can brief yourself on those before departure. Worry about getting in safely first!

Good luck! :)

(and check your email)

Evo7
30th Jul 2002, 08:47
Thanks for the e-mail AerBabe. Very useful - check yours. :)

AA - will e-mail you when my flight planning has sorted itself out a bit. Right now I'm not sure how I'm going to get there from here...

Wycombe
1st Aug 2002, 07:39
Evo....

Any more news on when you'll be doing this yet? Although it looks like you've plenty of offers of help (flying ODAK much at the moment are you, AA?), I'd also be pleased to help if I can, at Email ([email protected]).

Would go along with everything everyone has added. Surprised "Wycombe Tower" got it wrong for you though, Aerbabe, they are normally very good.

Evo7
1st Aug 2002, 08:03
Wycombe

Thanks for the offer. Andy has send me a detailed write-up about how best to arrive (I'm starting from Goodwood and the other stop is Bournemouth, which will probably be first - but that's still tbd). I've yet to do the detailed flight planning so I'm not sure if I've got more questions, but I'll copy you too if I have (if that's OK). Would rather have too much info than too little :)

Now planned for 14th/15th, weather permitting. Bl**dy hope it's sunny that week because I'm busy at work for the two weeks after that...