PDA

View Full Version : EU airports: no deal Brexit would cause "major disruption & heightened safety risks"

BigFrank
19th Sep 2018, 22:52
https://news.sky.com/story/eu-airports-unable-to-cope-with-safety-risks-of-no-deal-brexit-leaked-memo-reveals-11502372

No I didn't say that I believed the contents of the letter in full.

(Giving statistics for MAD/BCN together does seem strange; and from an EU perspective quoting the effects in Iceland seems distinctly odd. Well to my eyes it does given that it is furth of the EU and of Schengen; though no doubt it does have an associate staus of some sort which might be used to justify its inclusion here.)

And I am aware that, as time goes by, both/ all sides are jockeying ever more desperately for position.

But it does seem an interesting straw in the wind.

DaveReidUK
20th Sep 2018, 06:42
I see no reason to doubt the transfer statistics. Do you think the letter is scaremongering?

Denti
20th Sep 2018, 07:42
Well, the letter assumes that there will be still flights between the UK and the EU. And personally, i don't see how that is legally possible. Leaving the EU and all its treaties means leaving the ECAA, and of course all other open sky agreements that the EU has negotiated, the most important one the EU/US/Canada agreement. Without the ECAA rights for the UK, all but the first 2 freedoms of the air will not be possible for UK airlines in the EU and for all EU airlines in the UK, all those traffic rights will have to be negotiated in that case. As we know if there is a no deal brexit coming some time before brexit day, there is of course the possibility to negotiate a very basic agreement on aviation, which is probably one of the more pressing topics.

bbrown1664
20th Sep 2018, 09:50
At the moment, If I fly in from a non-Schengen country (UK/USA etc) into France or Spain (as an example) and want to transfer to a Schengen flight, I have to go through security again before I can board my flight in some locations and not in others.
Years ago the EU recommended (or may have mandated) that for security reasons, all inbound and outbound passengers should be segregated regardless of their origin/destination. Most of the major airports in the UK have spent millions of pounds implementing this as we in the UK seem to bend over ot all the EU rules. Other countries such as Spain (Palma being an example) allow all inbound and outbound pax to mix in together still and have done nothing to implement these changes.

1+F
20th Sep 2018, 10:03
At the moment, If I fly in from a non-Schengen country (UK/USA etc) into France or Spain (as an example) and want to transfer to a Schengen flight, I have to go through security again before I can board my flight in some locations and not in others.
Years ago the EU recommended (or may have mandated) that for security reasons, all inbound and outbound passengers should be segregated regardless of their origin/destination. Most of the major airports in the UK have spent millions of pounds implementing this as we in the UK seem to bend over ot all the EU rules. Other countries such as Spain (Palma being an example) allow all inbound and outbound pax to mix in together still and have done nothing to implement these changes.

Same in FRA.

Nemrytter
20th Sep 2018, 13:15
Edinburgh, anyone? ;-)

akindofmagic
20th Sep 2018, 13:23
Again, as per the other thread: it is beyond belief that people genuinely seem to think that there’s the slightest chance of flights between the EU and the U.K. suddenly grinding to a halt post-(hopefully no deal) Brexit. It simply will not happen.

Both sides stand to lose far too much. The U.K. is not suddenly going to become a pariah state cut off from the rest of the world, with no transport links in or out. Honestly remoaners: must try harder.

Cheltman
20th Sep 2018, 14:54
Remoaner here! You are of course correct. A solution will be found. However I would not recommend travel on the first few days after the divorce. I would also suggest that until HMG gets all the bits of paper in place then there is a significant risk of a bit of occasional gamesmanship from some other governments to make things difficult for a while to extract further monies from the UK. The main point is that HMG have yet to do their job rather than just assuming a fairy will arrive from stage left and sprinkle pixie dust on the problem

HP6
20th Sep 2018, 15:19
A Customs Declaration may have to be made on each and every 'return flight' to the UK.

Denti
20th Sep 2018, 16:08
Same in FRA.
I think you may find that those arriving from Schengen destinations mix freely with other already screened schengen passenger, while those non-schengen will not be able to mix with Schengen ones past passport control. At least in FRA, dunno about PMI as i flew a lot in there but usually used a crew only channel, there is customs control right after the bag belts for all flights, no matter if schengen or not. They usually are very good to pick out those from, well, farther away places and pull them out even if they use the "nothing to declare" channel in case they become interested in any way. And of course, they do now which flights are now up to pick up their bags anyway.

As far as i know there is no actual EU rule in any way that arriving and departing passengers have to be segregated, but rather that those arriving from destinations that are not deemed safe enough in their security procedures are segregated from others. And i believe that is done in FRA, although as far as i know all european states are deemed safe enough.