PDA

View Full Version : Pseudo Military Flying

javelin
28th Jul 2002, 20:43
So there you are having fun when you hear some artificial callsign call up saying proceeding to 'Initial for the break'. Not standard civvy speak, not current military aircraft, not using correct callsigns. What is a PPL going to make of that when a couple of Yaks come whizzing down the runway and pull up in cavalier fashion into a circuit. If you want to be military, join up, if not join correctly.

formationfoto
28th Jul 2002, 20:56
Couldn't have been somewhere in Essex could it?. A long standing debate on this issue and for many who participate in this action joining up isn't an option. Rather like paintball and other combat games military style flying is just another angle to the sport like aerobatics. Where this becomes less benign is where it inconveniences others or causes danger through non standard operating. What is the answer?. Don't know. Would I like the opportunity to play in a JP, L39, or even Yak 52 in this way? - Yes but I guess I would have to ensure that it wasn't likely to endanger others.

javelin
28th Jul 2002, 21:02
Nope, bit further north

Vlady Hell
30th Jul 2002, 17:03
So what is this man formationfoto say? Is point to write on this forum in the way of just ringing your hands with the public?

formationfoto
30th Jul 2002, 17:30
Vlady
Not hand ringing with the public just offering a balanced comment - not often seen in forum submissions!.

Nothing wrong with military style flying providing it does not endanger or inconvenience others. I have found airline style flying of C150s to be equally inconveniencing at times (although I have yet to experience the ten mile circuit creating additional dangers but perhaps other posters know different!).

This is my view however I have seen (and other posters have reported) circumstances where civilian pilots assume that adopting a military style of approach to land (run and break) gives them priority over other users.

There are responsible and irresponsible aviators (good and bad airmanship) in all styles of flying.

treadigraph
30th Jul 2002, 22:16
I seem to recall that there may have been at least one "run and break" in the past at a civil airfield which resulted in a midair...

Nuff said...

Final 3 Greens
30th Jul 2002, 22:37
If the airfield is not ATC, its the pilots call and see and avoid applies. I fly from the airfield that had the middair and it was a tragedy, but we can't bring them back now, sadly. I think that we have all been very aware of keeping a good lookout/maintaining situational awareness since then.

The "military" guys normally declare their intentions clearly on the r/t, unlike some (not all) Bl**dy gliders who have been known to appear in the circuit at various airfields without any warning and do all sorts of non standard things on the basis that "Steam gives way to sail" and I've run out of thermals, so I'll land here.... and you can avoid me or go around because you have an engine .

:mad: :mad:

Tigerformation
31st Jul 2002, 09:20
The idea behind the run and break is you fly it rather like a low approach go around. At high speed down the runway towards the centre making a sharp high angle of bank turn climbing up into the circuit height cutting the power and if done correctly should give you enough speed/glide to land. This should not be done in a busy circuit and can only really be done on a oval shaped military circuit where final is one long turn.

Chilli Monster
31st Jul 2002, 09:42
It's amazing how many people think this particular manoeuvere is executed along the runway. The way I was shown, and the countless hundreds I have seen, which is also the way it is depicted in the JSP318 (Military Flying Regulations), is down the dead side of the runway with the break being executed across the runway from dead side to live.

It was introduced to allow military aircraft returning back to base to keep the speed up to the last possible minute, thereby causing them to be less susceptible to interception by any enemy fighters loitering in the vicinity. Can't say I've seen that many Spam Cans with 20mm cannon waiting to shoot up returning Yaks and Extras ;)

CM

Evo7
31st Jul 2002, 10:00
It's not just Yaks and Extras - I remember some muppett in an Tomahawk calling "initial for the break". It was unimpressive.... :)

sennadog
31st Jul 2002, 11:41
Chilli Monster ! That last paragraph of yours was funny!:D

I can't say that I'd have a clue if I heard the above RT but surely with the different types of flying such as Military/PPL/Commercial you should adapt your RT to the type of flying environment you are in?

Twin Peaks
31st Jul 2002, 13:07
Javelin....this wouldn't have occured at a pseudo-military airfield in North Yorkshire would it?

B***Y??