PDA

View Full Version : Optimum flaps for takeoff

ks737
10th Sep 2018, 11:36
Hey all

Wondering what individual airlines like southwest/ Ryanair/ Turkish etc are using for take off flaps. Fixed or optimum?

RVF750
11th Sep 2018, 16:14
Virtually every airline would use optimum as an SOP now, The performance data for most companies is set to exclude F1 for -800/900.

172_driver
11th Sep 2018, 20:33
Virtually every airline would use optimum as an SOP now, The performance data for most companies is set to exclude F1 for -800/900.

The vast majority of our take offs are flaps 1, on the -800. That's what "Optimum" often spits out. On shorter runways in suggests higher settings to allow higher ATM.

Flyer007
23rd Sep 2018, 04:26
Hey all

Wondering what individual airlines like southwest/ Ryanair/ Turkish etc are using for take off flaps. Fixed or optimum?

Application calculates the best scenario, and optimum flaps are being used in most of the cases, even though , if compare fuel used Flaps1 nad Flaps 5 TKOF on NG the difference reaches 80kg accordingly. For specific scenarios or airport you can choose fixed flaps ....

Centaurus
23rd Sep 2018, 13:47
and optimum flaps are being used in most of the cases
Optimum flaps often requires higher takeoff speeds; therefore higher tyre speeds. Higher VR speeds than necessary increase the chances of tyre failure. High speed tyre failure on limiting runway length increase the chances of an over-run if the pilot decides for whatever the reason to abort the take of run. Especially as loss of braking efficiency will occur with tyre failure. No brainer for the safety conscious pilot especially if runway wet

FlightDetent
23rd Sep 2018, 22:27
How much of a higher EGT would you scarifice for a lower tyre speed? There must be a break-even point, I guess. But maybe I am just allergic to mis-applications of the S word. :E

GlenQuagmire
23rd Sep 2018, 22:50
Optimum flaps often requires higher takeoff speeds; therefore higher tyre speeds. Higher VR speeds than necessary increase the chances of tyre failure. High speed tyre failure on limiting runway length increase the chances of an over-run if the pilot decides for whatever the reason to abort the take of run. Especially as loss of braking efficiency will occur with tyre failure. No brainer for the safety conscious pilot especially if runway wet

hello Centaurus

do you have any reference material to support the suggestion of increased liklihood of tyre failure with the higher Vr? Having done a fair bit of research into tyre dynamics at university I am not sure where that comes from. It isnt supported from anything I remeber from those days and would be interested to see the reasons for it. Marginally increased wear I could understand but if you remain within the stated performance envelope of the tyre I dont understand what is failing.

honest question, not fishing..

Officer Kite
24th Sep 2018, 09:49
hello Centaurus

do you have any reference material to support the suggestion of increased liklihood of tyre failure with the higher Vr? Having done a fair bit of research into tyre dynamics at university I am not sure where that comes from. It isnt supported from anything I remeber from those days and would be interested to see the reasons for it. Marginally increased wear I could understand but if you remain within the stated performance envelope of the tyre I dont understand what is failing.

honest question, not fishing..
Incident: Alitalia Cityliner E175 at Rome on Sep 15th 2018, burst both right main tyres on departure (http://avherald.com/h?article=4bde3234&opt=6400)

what happened to these tyres?

Centaurus
24th Sep 2018, 14:27
do you have any reference material to support the suggestion of increased liklihood of tyre failure with the higher Vr?

Fair enough question. The answer is not off the top of my head. The evidence comes from my recollection of reading numerous incident and accident reports over the many years I have been flying aeroplanes big and small. Some of these included tyre failure incidents. One recommendation by McDonnell Douglas does stick in my mind, however.
That is, do not abort for a tyre failure if the failure occurs at speeds more than V1 minus 20 knots. Loss of braking efficiency means V1 as a decision speed becomes invalid. MD would not have issued that warning unless there was evidence that tyre failures at high speed have happened. MD did not supply individual details.

Skyjob
24th Sep 2018, 14:36
That is, do not abort for a tyre failure if the failure occurs at speeds more than V1 minus 20 knots. Loss of braking efficiency means V1 as a decision speed becomes invalid. MD would not have issued that warning unless there was evidence that tyre failures at high speed have happened. MD did not supply individual details.
MD could've issued the warning as it is proven much safer to continue a departure and land (normally) with a tyre missing instead of a executing a (rare) high speed RTO. Crew familiarisation comes into play here as well as recognition and non-eventful execution of an RTO.

divinehover
25th Sep 2018, 14:14
My company has dabbled with the fixed versus Optimum Flap for A330/340 fleet for some time. Tail strike avoidance was one reason given by the fixed flap fans. At the end of the day, it's all just silly really. The manufacturer wouldn't have called it optimum if it wasn't that. Train your pilots properly and use Optimum Flap. In the 2 yrs since moving back to Opt Flap, we haven't seen any tail strikes, or increased tire failures for that matter.