PDA

View Full Version : Waddington gliders....

NotAnotherUsername
28th Jul 2002, 19:45
Firstly, I am not having a go at glider pilots (well, not all of them anyway). They have just as much right to bumble about in open FIR as I do, it's just that I like to do it with an engine!

Anyway, I was flying yesterday SW from Cambridge through the stub of (inactive) Waddington MATZ and had an 'unusual' RT interaction...

A few miles out from the MATZ I made a call on the ATC freq and, as expected, got nothing back, and then did it again, just to be sure. No answer. Fine. Then I made a blind position report just in case anyone was listening, particularly as I knew that there's weekend gliding from Waddington and I had no desire to meet them too close up. I reported at Sudbury and get a response from a glider pilot telling me that he too is at 3000' over Sudbury. No problem, matey, I thinks, "descending 2500" I says, with head swivelling like there's no tomorrow, thinking I'm exhibiting good airmanship. At this point I see him at 10 o'clock, no chance of paths crossing but keep descending anyway to stay clear and in case he's got any mates around. Then i get a response back of "bit bloody late". I may be being a touch sensitive on this, but that's just poor airmanship and a bad attitude.

Now, I'm well aware he has right of way (it was a he) but short of getting radar fitted to the PA28, we're always going to meet gliders at some point, hopefully from quite a distance! And it's not always easy telling where they're going next as they tend to do lots of circling.

Is this normal in this neck of the woods? Am I just being too sensitive? Should I have just told him to **** off? (just joking on the last one!)

WorkingHard
28th Jul 2002, 20:00
SW from Cambridge and through the Waddington MATZ. Please tell me how!!!!!!!

suction
28th Jul 2002, 20:20
NAU

You figured you should take avoiding action - and did. Let's face it - it's not unknown to pass close to other traffic in uncontrolled airspace. Sounds like he/she was having the gliding equivalent of a bad hair day !

-S

Chilli Monster
28th Jul 2002, 21:00
You saw it - you missed him. No great shakes and no real problem as you are both VFR. You did what was required but happened to meet a whinger in the process. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Top tip though - maybe the aviation geography needs brushing up on ;) (I take it you meant Wattisham, not Waddington).

CM

NotAnotherUsername
28th Jul 2002, 22:06
Waddington, Wattisham, oops !! :o :o :o