PDA

View Full Version : Logos And Liveries

A300Man
28th Jul 2002, 15:54
Hi Folks,

I noted a lot of very lengthy and sometimes acrimonious (?) postings on the forums today, and thought I would try and lighten the mood a bit!! Ha. Ha.

This is actually provoked by comments about Monarch's G-MONC which is apparently all better and off to the paintshop. One of our fellow pruners posted a photograph of the same aeroplane in its former yellow and black cheatline colours.......

....and there the question comes. Where are cheatlines these days? And good old classic liveries.

Sure there's a strong marketing advantage in using billboard lettering, but absolutely no finesse.

Was at LGW a few days ago and saw an endless procession of newly painted aeroplanes from JMC, MYT, AMM, MON, EXC.......all curves, elipses, bright colours, waves and, well, crap really.

The same goes for the latest efforts from bmi and Flybe.

I guess that those commanders amongst you don't really give a s**t what the outside of your aeroplane looks like. (And in the case of JMC, the inside either!!!!!! Ha Ha)

But, what about some good old fashioned serious and "re-assuring" colourschemes, and not something that your 4 year old daughter could do at nursery on a Thursday afternoon.

I think the Kenya Airways cheatlines are very nice indeed. OK, boring tail livery, but you gotta start somewhere!!!

Would be nice to know what you all think are the best colours around just now. Let's give all the techy stuff a miss tonight!

Landing_24R
28th Jul 2002, 20:05
I too miss the cheatlines, especially the famous BA Landor ones, although I don't imagine they would have looked quite so impressive on BA's numerous diddy little EMB145's- the new livery suits them quite well.

The best airline livery by far in my opinion is Go- simple, stylish, chic and novel, with each aircraft having its' own slogan and colour (with a few duplications). However, on the new ones, (GIGOZ, GOMUC, GIGOX- Spotter? Moi?) there seems to be a distinct lack of large black 'Go' on the tail and also of the vibrant colours on the belly and engines I have become accustomed to when travelling on Go- perhaps something to do with the impending arrival of bright orange paint for these 737's?

I also like the new Monarch one, it looks nice on the 757, and I bet it'll look nice on their A330's- shame their DC10 is out of service, it would have been nice on there too.

Livery disasters- I loved the old Britannia livery, but the new one was and is hideous- I really hoped it would grow on me, but it just hasn't. It looks almost acceptable on the 767, but there's absolutely no excuse for painting a 757 like that. The new Air 2000 effort isn't as good as the old one either, although it's a nice idea to put the First Choice logo on the tail- also easyjet is a bit garish, but certainly a novelty.

There have been loads of threads like this in the past, just do a quick search and you'll find loads of opinions.

Cheers, hope I haven't offended any livery designers out there :D

Landing_24R

Flight Detent
28th Jul 2002, 20:08
Hi,
Well, for my part, I think both Virgin and Qantas have a very similar external paint scheme, and they both look simple, stylish and easy to look at, and, of course, very distinctive!!
That's my vote!
Cheers

kellykelpie
29th Jul 2002, 10:17
My favorite is the old Qantas paint scheme. The kangaroo with
wings and the orange stripe.
I think that the Virgin Blue paint scheme has too much red.
Singapore Airlines has resisted changing theirs and it still looks great.

reynoldsno1
31st Jul 2002, 04:44
Anybody remember Court, who had their fleet painted in all sorts of weird colours - I seem to recall a very fetching purple job (and I mean the WHOLE thing was painted purple).

A300Man
31st Jul 2002, 11:16
Yep. Remember them. They had Tri-Stars and 1-11's, all painted, as you say, tangerine, purple, yellow, sky blue, red........yuk!! And they all had very stylised lettering which looked OK for the time, but was a hideous silver colour.

Another one that springs to mind as being not too bad actually is the old Britannia one (not the belly pinstripes, but the one before that with the blue and red cheatlines and the lightning strike through the old lady on the tail.

All finished off with a brightly polished silver belly.......... long time ago.