PDA

View Full Version : Cranfield Tels takeover?

hammerthrower
21st Aug 2018, 22:54
I see that Cranfield are recruiting a Manager of Air Traffic Services... With a JD written for a tels engineer.

Is this the begging of the end?

https://jobs.cranfield.ac.uk/vacancy/manager-air-traffic-services-363704.html

Bright-Ling
22nd Aug 2018, 06:58
The end of what???

Surely all ‘SATCO’ posts involve a huge amount of ATS/CNS knowledge nowaday? (Esp with a huge project like a new Remote Tower)

chevvron
22nd Aug 2018, 07:07
A 'Manager ATS' post often does not require the encumbent to carry out operational ATC duties so does sometimes go to a non ATCO, however it's rare for a 'techie' to have sufficient management expertise to hold such a post.
The spec does say the encumbent must work closely with the SATCO.

TelsBoy
22nd Aug 2018, 10:58
Looking at the JD and all the new systems/upgrades scheduled (managing those appears to be the main focus of the job as opposed to the day-to-day ATS stuff - presumably handled in this case by the SATCO) it makes sense for them asking for a candidate with a Tels background. Most ATCOs/SATCOs lack the required technical expertise for managing such projects - not a swipe at ATCOs, just a statement of fact. It's not their primary focus.

The JD also requests specific ATE management experience as a prerequisite so there shouldn't be any issues with a "techie" not having management experience.

With increasingly complex ATS systems like Remote Towers coming to the fore I can see many of these types of management roles, traditionally filled by Controllers, going to technical staff instead due to the technical demands of running such projects and the expertise required.

Interesting times ahead.

ZOOKER
22nd Aug 2018, 20:31
Well I remember a cracking fully-validated SATCO who got rid of the requirements for ATCOs to do METAR observations, and the same individual was responsible for installing the first U.K. colour approach radar displays.

More recently, wasn't a SATCO/GM post given to an individual from HR, resulting in the ANSP losing the unit contract?

Red Dragon
24th Aug 2018, 05:10
Out of interest, has the employment of ATCOs at Cranfield gone 'in-house' now, i.e. Serco no longer have a contract there?

mungoose
1st Sep 2018, 03:33
Nothing to add except I thought it was going to say that there had been a coup at Cranfield.

Mooncrest
1st Sep 2018, 12:20
Well I remember a cracking fully-validated SATCO who got rid of the requirements for ATCOs to do METAR observations, and the same individual was responsible for installing the first U.K. colour approach radar displays.

More recently, wasn't a SATCO/GM post given to an individual from HR, resulting in the ANSP losing the unit contract?
Which unit had the first colour displays, ZOOKER ? I would hazard East Midlands or Newcastle.