PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick crossing - helicopter VFR

pilot_tolip
13th Aug 2018, 15:27
I'd appreciate your wisdom and advice. Would this be the correct radio call when requesting to cross Gatwick Aiport in a helicopter VFR? How can this be improved?
(Assuming I take off from a private field in Class G Airspace 20nm south of Gatwick and intend to land at Biggin Hill. Tuned into LARS Farnborough)
Using ADDPAR:
Frequency: 126.825
Helicopter: Gatwick Radar. Helicopter G-ABCD. Request zone transit
Gatwick ATC: Helicopter G-ABCD. Pass Your Message
Helicopter: Helicopter G-ABCD. Type Cabri G2. Departure private site Henfield. Destination Biggin Hill. Position 10 nm South of Gatwick. Squak 7000. 1,500 feet. Request basic service and zone transit to Biggin Hill.
Gatwick ATC: Helicopter G-ABCD Basic service and zone transit approved not above 1,000 feet.
Helicopter: Helicopter G-ABCD not above 1,000 feet.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Aug 2018, 12:28
I'd like to see the QNH mentioned somewhere.

Gonzo
14th Aug 2018, 15:25
Are you using the NATS airspace crossing online pre-note tool?

Thurleigh
18th Aug 2018, 09:38
You’ve pretty match nailed it there. A clearance will be subject to the weather (VFR) and the controllers workload both on Gatwick radar (based in Swanwick Hampshire) and at Gatwick tower, but requests like this are accommodated every day and the process is pretty straight forward.

You’ll generally be given a VFR clearance not above 1500’ VFR via Handcross VRP to hold at the southern maintenance hangars (just south of the 26L threshold). You’ll then be asked to report Gatwick in sight.

Once you enter the control zone south of Crawley you’ll be asked to hold at the southern maintenance hangars (your clearance limit) and to contact Gatwick Tower, using your callsign only (they’ll already have been pre-noted of your details and it reduces their RTF loading) on 124.225.

Subject to the arriving and departure traffic the Tower will on initial call confirm whether you’ll need to hold south of the runway or if you’re ‘lucky’ will issue you with a new clearance to cross the threshold of the runway in use (26L or 08R usually) and then route northbound to leave the zone via the Buckland VRP (west of Redhill).

Once safely north of the runway, you’ll be transferred back to Gatwick Director who will monitor your flight until you leave controlled airspace at Buckland.

The service will then probably be terminated (unless you request otherwise) but I’d recommend and early free call to Biggin on 129.4 (Keep a good look out for glider activity at Kenley which will now be close to your route).

Enjoy and let us know how you get on!

chevvron
19th Aug 2018, 06:18
Are you using the NATS airspace crossing online pre-note tool?
Does the tool apply for Gatwick Zone which is not NATS below 4,000ft?

Gonzo
19th Aug 2018, 06:44
Does the tool apply for Gatwick Zone which is not NATS below 4,000ft?

Yes, because it’s prenoting the details to approach radar, not the tower. There’s no hard boundary between aerodrome control and approach at 4000ft anyway.

pilot_tolip
19th Aug 2018, 09:23
Thank you everyone for the replies. Very useful information. Regards