PDA

View Full Version : F-86 Sabre production list

MARK9263
24th Jul 2018, 09:40
Morning,

I am looking for a publication (should one exist) that would cover the above, dates, serial numbers, history and fates etc..

If anyone has any ideas I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
Mark

treadigraph
24th Jul 2018, 09:55
Mark, failing anything better, as a starting point you can probably glean a lot of data on the North American built F-86s from this site:

USASC-USAAS-USAAC-USAAF-USAF Military Aircraft Serial Numbers--1908 to Present (http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/usafserials.html)

A lot of NA built F-86s used by overseas air arms may well have had USAF serials allocated.

Quemerford
24th Jul 2018, 10:55
No such thing exists but I have most record cards for F-86s. PM me.

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.

MARK9263
24th Jul 2018, 13:29
Thanks for the replies.

MARK9263
24th Jul 2018, 13:31
I am currently researching the F-86s that passed through Airwork at Ringway during 1955/56, these being RAF and Canadian examples that were overhauled and eventually delivered to the Greek and Turkish Air Forces.

I will get back to you.

Many thanks.

Quemerford
24th Jul 2018, 13:33
OK - I have records/record cards for all. I'm not sure the Canadian Sabre 2 record cards show movement through Ringway but I can check. RAF no problems though.

MARK9263
24th Jul 2018, 15:15
Thank you.

ian16th
24th Jul 2018, 19:11
Dont forget the Oztralian ones with Avon's.

Quemerford
24th Jul 2018, 19:30
Dont forget the Oztralian ones with Avon's.

Through Ringway? That's a new one on me... :)

Quemerford
24th Jul 2018, 19:33
Mark,

I see that I can't PM you and I haven't posted any of this: try dunxc 'at' aol.com and I'll send you what you need. Incidentally, as expected the RCAF Sabre 2s don't show a 'Ringway' date - just 'to Turkey' or 'to MDAP' after the Air Division strike date.

Geezers of Nazareth
28th Jul 2018, 11:46
Is there any information about where on the airframe you would look for a manufacturers plate?

I have a photo of a plate, on a bulkhead behind the seat, which shows a number, but this conflicts with previously known data. Maybe I took a photo of the wrong plate?

Quemerford
8th Aug 2018, 18:58
c/n plate is on the horizontal surface aft of the seat on the port/left-hand side. Many so-called manufacturers plates relate to items rather than the airframe and so won't tie up. Can you post the numbers you have?

DaveReidUK
8th Aug 2018, 22:43
Bear in mind also that the back ends of Sabres were removed for engine changes, so there is no guarantee that the two original halves of the same aircraft would stay together. :O

Quemerford
9th Aug 2018, 02:55
Fwd part is the main lifed item, so the tails are considered interchangeable. The airframe identity actually goes with the centre section, which is where a lot of the cracks eventually originate.

TSBitterman
16th Jul 2022, 20:26
Old thread I know. My father,while with RCAF 413 flew the reconstructed 19215 ( famous for it being swallowed by a Bristol freighter) to Eskisehir and led a Transition Team training Turkish pilots & crew. Interesting that they did have a stop over at Athens to demonstrate quietly to the Greeks that "both sides" were being welcomed into NATO.
Dad's log has a few more aircraft numbers logged if of value.
Larry Milberry's book "The Canadair Sabre" is excellent and tracks the aircraft manufactured in Canada. ( Dad flew the aircraft pictured on the cover) A wonderful resource for plane-spotters
I've recently posted a few pics on the 3 Wing Zweibrucken FB page
Mike

Pypard
25th Jul 2022, 05:51
Thanks for the update Mike - I'll take a look :)

TSBitterman
25th Jul 2022, 06:05
In addition, for Canadair Sabres the Canadair code was CL-13. There is an active FB CL-13 Group.
Many of the aircraft which were used by Canada, UK, Germany, Turkey, Greece etc are listed, shown & talked about.
Many great photos from individuals as well as the RCAF and Dept of Nat'l Defense ( DND).

In the parlance of the day F-86, Sabre, Sword were used- CL-13 was an internal code for the accountants - the serial plates say "F-86".

Most CDN Sabres have the serial on the tail 19XXX are Sabre II, 23XXX are Sabre 5 and maybe 6 there were running changes to the wings.
Pre '58 there is a 2 letter Squadron code followed by the last 3 of the serial- AP 139 would be 413 SQ and serial 23139

Mike

PA22
12th Aug 2022, 17:56
Tuesday 6th September: Rod Dean -"The F86 Sabre"

this is a presentation to the Bishop’s Waltham Aviation group. Check it out at https://bwavg.co.uk/ if you are interested.

megan
13th Aug 2022, 02:58
A listing of the Australian built Sabres, with associated history. One still flying.

ADF Serials - CAC Sabre (http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a94.htm)