PDA

View Full Version : Average pass rate

Non-PC Plod
20th Jul 2018, 08:18
I am interested to compare my experience with that of other TREs. Just as a rough approximation, what percentage of LPC and LST candidates will get a pass/partial pass/fail? (I am aiming this mostly at the rotary-wing world, as it is likely to be different from the much more extensive and organised fixed-wing speciality.) I know this will be completely unscientific, because the results will be very skewed according to where you work, and who your candidates are.
I am asking because (rightly or wrongly) I often get the impression that many examiners in some ATOs just pass everyone, because its less hassle for them and for the training organisation.
As a rough guess, I think I see about 70% pass, 20% partial and 10% fail. My candidates are from every different background, and every part of the world.

BigEndBob
20th Jul 2018, 19:25
I am interested to compare my experience with that of other TREs. Just as a rough approximation, what percentage of LPC and LST candidates will get a pass/partial pass/fail? (I am aiming this mostly at the rotary-wing world, as it is likely to be different from the much more extensive and organised fixed-wing speciality.) I know this will be completely unscientific, because the results will be very skewed according to where you work, and who your candidates are.
I am asking because (rightly or wrongly) I often get the impression that many examiners in some ATOs just pass everyone, because its less hassle for them and for the training organisation.
As a rough guess, I think I see about 70% pass, 20% partial and 10% fail. My candidates are from every different background, and every part of the world.

Certainly fixed wing is about the same pass rate.

Non-PC Plod
21st Jul 2018, 16:40
Bob,
Thanks - thats interesting. Would that be even for internal checks by company TREs? I am guessing in some environments there is operational pressure not to fail people. I remember a seminar I went to years ago at the CAA, and a show of hands revealed that none of the line trainers present had ever failed anyone on a line check. Would it be similar for in-house LPCs and OPCs?

S-Works
22nd Jul 2018, 14:38
My experience fixed wing has shown that Instructors rarely put a candidate forward that’s not fully ready for test. As a result it’s pretty rare rare to have to fail a candidate on an LST . I get around 15% partial where the candidate puts themselves under so much self induced pressure they lose the plot on one or two particular elements. At TR level they are usually well versed in the system and know what to expect. For OPC and LPC for pilots who are active on line I can’t remeber the last time I had to partial or fail one. They are professionals and the company tends not to recruit “tools”so they are up to standard. I certainly do not feel any operational pressure to pass anyone. They either make the grade or they don’t. If they did fail then it’s down to the company to decide on a course of action but I know for a fact they would not attempt to over ride me.

Non-PC Plod
28th Jul 2018, 08:13
That figures. I find by contrast, I am often called upon to do an LPC for someone who has been flying VFR every day for the last year, (eg in the Middle East) and is put in for the full IFR check by their company with zero or minimal recurrent training first. As you can imagine, this is a big ask! Also, I find a lot of the "professional" pilots out there have either flown very few hours on type ( I had one candidate who was an instructor with his organisation, who had a total of 12 hours!!) ; or they have had abysmal training in the past, and lack even the most basic awareness (situational, system, mode).
I think that helicopter operations globally tend to be on a much smaller scale than fixed-wing, and for the most part lack proper training organisation, procedures and oversight. This is why the candidates are, shall we say... more variable.