PDA

View Full Version : In-flight bacon roll row passenger fined

PAXboy
18th Jul 2018, 16:25
A plane passenger who flew into a rage after being denied a bacon roll by cabin crew has been fined £230.
BBC Devon (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-44874908)

Sounds like progress.

Fairestcape
18th Jul 2018, 20:09
This sort of behaviour on board an aircraft in flight poses a real danger to everyone on the aircraft. A mandatory jail term should apply if found guilty - at least a year.

Hotel Tango
18th Jul 2018, 21:37
Disgraceful. I think that a British airline running out of bacon rolls should be fined!

Davef68
19th Jul 2018, 09:24
Sounds like a bully and an idiot

easyflyer83
20th Jul 2018, 00:35
I love how he demanded to see the Captain. I've had someone demand to see the Captain over a catering issue. They too were told no. The captain doesn't even know how to make his own brew let alone deal with a catering complaint.

rationalfunctions
20th Jul 2018, 04:12
'He said he wanted to speak to the captain to suggest that customers should be warned at check-in that there would be "no hot food"'

What a hero :D, obviously just misunderstood

wiggy
20th Jul 2018, 08:05
I love how he demanded to see the Captain. I've had someone demand to see the Captain over a catering issue. They too were told no. The captain doesn't even know how to make his own brew let alone deal with a catering complaint.

I hear where you are coming from but there actually are some Flight Crew around who can work the brewers. :E

That aside you’ll often find buried somewhere in the Ops manual that ultimately the captain is responsible for customer service once passengers are onboard the aircraft.

If I could offer a hypothetical parallel situation: You go into a restaurant tonight, have a problem with the quality of the food, and get no traction with the waiter or the chef or (posh restaurant) the Maitre d’. Might you just possibly want to escalate the problem upwards to the duty manager or owner? Would you care if the manager or owner could or could not cook?

Now of course there are acceptable ways of complaining and just to make clear so there is no misunderstanding I’m not defending this passenger’s behaviour - .he should have kept his inner chimp caged......

Planemike
20th Jul 2018, 09:19
This sort of behaviour on board an aircraft in flight poses a real danger to everyone on the aircraft. A mandatory jail term should apply if found guilty - at least a year.
"a real danger to everyone on the aircraft".......I wasn't there but I very much doubt it. It was a minor disagreement with the cabin crew. If it had happened in the local café, it would not have even been reported. We already have far too many folk in prison. Yes, he probably deserved the fine.....

rog747
20th Jul 2018, 12:10
if we didn't have this B on B food lark now first implemented by the bottom feeding airlines then all this 'no bacon rolls' air rage would simply not occur - i personally hate it and I would be pee'd off not having something to eat on an early morning flight

i came home from mykonos on BA thankfully in CE the other evening and the BonB grub had all been eaten by the pax on the way out from LHR so the 140 or so poor sods down the back in Y had bugger all to eat on a 3h 25m evening flight

Knowing how much a hot charter meal costs to buy (my career since 1972 was mostly holiday airlines) I feel its a complete nonsense that we cannot serve a meal to all pax on IT charter flights and on legacy scheduled fights on durations of say over 2.30 - 3.00 and longer

they say its progress - really?

chevvron
20th Jul 2018, 18:34
On an ATCO familiarisation flight from Gatwick to Palma and return, I was on the jump seat and the stewardess brought me my hot breakfast. I was tucking into my bacon and what appeared to be scrambled egg and the two guys in the front seats kept glancing round at me, then the stewardess brought them each a breakfast cereal with milk.
I remarked how come they only got cereal and they explained that as the sector length was less than 2 hours, they weren't entitled to a hot meal, so on the return leg I declined another hot meal to save torturing them!

finncapt
20th Jul 2018, 20:15
That's a bit unfair Chevvron.

You admit that you were on an ATCO famil flight, a guest of the airline.

You were on the jumpseat, perhaps having a crew meal.

I want to add more but perhaps it is better I do not!!

Hotel Tango
20th Jul 2018, 23:11
That's a bit unfair Chevvron.

Huh? What exactly is your beef with that little anecdote finncapt? I'm puzzled by your reaction.

easyflyer83
21st Jul 2018, 10:58
I hear where you are coming from but there actually are some Flight Crew around who can work the brewers. :E

That aside you’ll often find buried somewhere in the Ops manual that ultimately the captain is responsible for customer service once passengers are onboard the aircraft.

If I could offer a hypothetical parallel situation: You go into a restaurant tonight, have a problem with the quality of the food, and get no traction with the waiter or the chef or (posh restaurant) the Maitre d’. Might you just possibly want to escalate the problem upwards to the duty manager or owner? Would you care if the manager or owner could or could not cook?

Now of course there are acceptable ways of complaining and just to make clear so there is no misunderstanding I’m not defending this passenger’s behaviour - .he should have kept his inner chimp caged......

Of course the Captain is ultimately responsible but the example here is curious in that the Captain often has little knowledge of the area he is being complained to about.

It’s like complaining about something to the completely wrong department. I’m sure we can both agree that the correct and most logical person to complain to would be the senior crew member/cabin manager who, in keeping with your example, is the closest to a Maitre d’ on board on aircraft, more so than the Captain.

Ultimately in charge doesn’t mean everything has to go through the Captain. As a Cabin Manager myself, the Captain deals with flying the plane/technical stuff and I deal with customer service. Only if the Captain actively likes to get involved or I feel it needs escalating will he get involved.

Passengers demanding to see the Captain over a bag of jelly snakes (that is what it was in my example) just doesn’t wash.

meleagertoo
21st Jul 2018, 21:41
i came home from mykonos on BA thankfully in CE the other evening and the BonB grub had all been eaten by the pax on the way out from LHR so the 140 or so poor sods down the back in Y had bugger all to eat on a 3h 25m evening flight

From this gobbldegook I gather the catering was eaten on the outbound sector leaving none for the return. Situation pretty normal then.

This is a Pilot's forum. CE, BonB andf Y may mean something to people in other jobs but not to (most) pilots. The use of inpenetable insider- jargon from another job isn't helpful.

It doesn't really belong here. We all speak English...

wiggy
21st Jul 2018, 21:53
Of course the Captain is ultimately responsible but the example here is curious in that the Captain often has little knowledge of the area he is being complained to about.

No argument from me on that point at all...

Passengers demanding to see the Captain over a bag of jelly snakes (that is what it was in my example) just doesn’t wash.

Yes but sometimes if the cap fits you have wear it rather than hide behind the flight deck door..

Personally if a passenger had really got the hump over a bag of jelly snakes I’d extend the offer to see him/her after landing....at which
point my default position would be sympathetic but also supportive of my colleagues, who as you say have far more expertise in the subject than I do...

S.o.S.
23rd Jul 2018, 01:15
meleagertoo.
This is a Pilot's forum. CE, BonB and Y may mean something to people in other jobs but not to (most) pilots. The use of inpenetable insider- jargon from another job isn't helpful.

These short forms have been widely used for a long time. The people in this sub-forum are those who travel a great deal and/or also interested in commercial passenger flight. These letters are used by travel agents and regular pax (passengers) and include FC, Flight Crew, CC Cabin Crew (in the USA FA Flight Attendant) etc. There are many other short forms that we often see in here: LHR, EDI Edinburgh, LAX (Los Angeles International) FRAnkfurt and many airports around the world. Also in PPRuNe you will see the usual abbreviations of aircraft models: 744 is a Boeing 747-400, 738 is a Boeing 737-800 and 346 is an Airbus 340-600. If there are any contractions and acronyms that you do not know, please ask.

rog747
23rd Jul 2018, 11:32
From this gobbldegook I gather the catering was eaten on the outbound sector leaving none for the return. Situation pretty normal then.

This is a Pilot's forum. CE, BonB andf Y may mean something to people in other jobs but not to (most) pilots. The use of inpenetable insider- jargon from another job isn't helpful.

lol sorry old chap but if you worked for an airline then this gobbledygook would be quite plain for you and all here to understand including front end chaps - or you have been retired too long - shall i explain?
CE club europe Y economy JMK mykonos
B on B buy on board

best x

Dave Gittins
23rd Jul 2018, 12:05
Our family rules for BonB whether it by BA or easy is BatM (buy at Marks) in the terminal.

Last time I flew JMK-LGW on BA (mid June) they were very short of food as the outbound gannets had eaten it all so when we got a bit delayed, they let us back into the terminal to have a pee & get our own food and drinks.

olster
23rd Jul 2018, 12:19
We certainly live in an Alice in Wonderland world. I agree with easy flyer in that my role as captain is to get the aircraft from a to b safely, ie ‘the technical stuff’. I have zero interest in engaging with the self loading freight as to whether they get a bacon roll or not. Has common sense left the building? I back up the cabin crew when required and trust them completely to deal with customer service issues.

rog747
23rd Jul 2018, 12:42
Our family rules for BonB whether it by BA or easy is BatM (buy at Marks) in the terminal.

Last time I flew JMK-LGW on BA (mid June) they were very short of food as the outbound gannets had eaten it all so when we got a bit delayed, they let us back into the terminal to have a pee & get our own food and drinks.

outbound Gannets smacks of when I was with Court Line and we had SBC (seat back catering) on the 1-11 500's BTW that's code for an aeroplane
(also BMA put them in theirs too)

the pax on the way out often would be able to open the other meal container flap and snaffle the inbound meal too -

rog747
23rd Jul 2018, 12:46
We certainly live in an Alice in Wonderland world. I agree with easy flyer in that my role as captain is to get the aircraft from a to b safely, ie ‘the technical stuff’. I have zero interest in engaging with the self loading freight as to whether they get a bacon roll or not. Has common sense left the building? I back up the cabin crew when required and trust them completely to deal with customer service issues.

in the not so distant past though it was your call and prob still is (Capt) to decide whether to to depart if there was a catering uplift issue and pax had say NO grub/meals hot drinks cold drinks etc etc OR delay the flight until this was sorted (in the days of where we were nice to passengers and considered their welfare and stomachs - oh and the crew's as well)

olster
23rd Jul 2018, 14:01
I agree with you, Rog. If that were the case the probability, notwithstanding other issues would be to delay prior to catering uplift. That would be a decision taken in discussion with the sccm / ifs etc. I would not engage with individual pax ref their personal bacon roll requirements! You can easily envisage the situation discussed here. Some @rsehole feels aggrieved that they are being deprived of their ‘right’, no doubt booze fuelled and then aggressively kicks off and involves social media as to how ‘unfair’ it all is. Cue the Daily Mail and we have a monumental row over the square root of foxtrot alpha. In the week that Geoffrey Wellum and Tom Neil died one can only wonder what they would have made of society today. Personally if I can take my pax to their destination without catastrophe then it is a win but what do I know, I retire soon. Rant over.

rog747
23rd Jul 2018, 17:17
I agree with you, Rog. If that were the case the probability, notwithstanding other issues would be to delay prior to catering uplift. That would be a decision taken in discussion with the sccm / ifs etc. I would not engage with individual pax ref their personal bacon roll requirements! You can easily envisage the situation discussed here. Some @rsehole feels aggrieved that they are being deprived of their ‘right’, no doubt booze fuelled and then aggressively kicks off and involves social media as to how ‘unfair’ it all is. Cue the Daily Mail and we have a monumental row over the square root of foxtrot alpha. In the week that Geoffrey Wellum and Tom Neil died one can only wonder what they would have made of society today. Personally if I can take my pax to their destination without catastrophe then it is a win but what do I know, I retire soon. Rant over.

lol I do not think that was a rant, all well said --- I have now retired too - before buy on board was even being mooted - lol