PDA

View Full Version : Post PPL confidence

SuttonPPL
9th Jul 2018, 08:45
Hi All,
Having finished my PPL earlier in the year, I have been flying as often as I can to boost my confidence and keep the skills fresh - usually sticking to familiar routes and aircraft. This weekend, I had my first big 'wobble' and crisis of confidence and I wondered whether anyone had had a similar experience at this stage in their flying, and any advice for getting over it!?

The situation wasn't ideal this weekend. I had a booking for an aircraft which I hadn't flown before (also from a club I had not flown from before as my usual one has amalgamated with its sister club). I don't know whether it was the new aircraft (with its slightly different radio set up which I had to get my head around) or the hassle of signing up at the new club and completing reams of paperwork before even getting out to the aircraft, but when I got in and started my pre-flight checks, I had a total loss of confidence and ended up abandoning the flight. I just didn't feel comfortable.

I know I made the right decision. The mantra "If in doubt, don't go" was running through my head and I am pleased with myself for making a decision based on safety, and not my desire to get up in the skies. However, I cannot help but worry that this knock to my confidence shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Incidentally, this was also going to be my first land away since qualifying and I think I was probably nervous about that too. It was a familiar airfield and one that I have visited before (albeit not solo) but I still found myself nervous. I cannot help but worry that if I get nervous about going somewhere I am familiar with, how on earth am I going to build to visiting somewhere new and perhaps further afield?!

sharpend
9th Jul 2018, 20:40
So it was a new club, a new aircraft and your first land away since qualifying. Well perhaps try less than 3 new things at once. Maybe if you were flying a new aircraft at a new club, a local bimble would have be better. But, more importantly, don't worry. Far better to be a little under confident than over confident. Many new PPLs think they are immortal and end up in trouble. You will be fine. By the way, there are no old, bold pilots. I should know, I have been flying for over 50 years & I am still cautious. So it's ok to be less bold, you will make old bones.

eckhard
9th Jul 2018, 20:57
Hear, hear!

I think your attitude and decision reflect well on your approach to flight safety.

One of the major threats to safety in private flying is time pressure. Imagine if you had had passengers with you as well, or had arranged to meet friends at the destination.

As sharpend said, try to introduce new factors gradually and always allow plenty of time for preparation and unforeseen delays. I’ve been flying for 46 years, so not quite as experienced as sharpend, but like him/her I am cautious and like you I have cancelled trips when something didn’t feel right.

Good luck with your next flight!

Johnm
9th Jul 2018, 21:41
You followed my rule of 3. If 3 things go pear shaped i’m Probably not going. I have 1500 hours and an IR. If your confidence is iffy why not fly with a more experienced pilot? If you join AOPA you could find a mentor like me :-)

Where are you in the country from a flying perspective I assume somewhere South of London?.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Jul 2018, 22:14
One new thing at a time is probably enough for most people most of the time. I once went on a trip with more challenging weather than I was used to and more challenging navigation than I was used to. But when I found no obvious way out of a surrounding circular wall of cloud, with controlled airspace above me and to the sides, and too busy worrying about the cloud to be certain where I was, the Luton controller was very helpful. The only time I've ever phoned a controller to thank him after I've got down. I could have coped with the weather or the nav, but both at once were a bit much on that particular day, and I really did need to offload some of the nav onto the controller. Yes the job he was actually being paid for was shuffling airlines around the controlled airspace, but if you need help ask for it and you'll get it.

So ILAFFT, but of course one of the lessons was that I should have stayed on the ground that day.

ChickenHouse
10th Jul 2018, 18:25
So, you are a freshmen and doubt upon your confidence. Huh, the fact itself is a real good sign. If in doubt, don't go! I cannot count how many times I was eager to fly, prepared the aircraft, got it out of the hangar ... just to feel a point at which I simply pushed the plane back into the hangar to get wherever by car.

Fly if you feel comfortable, especially in the beginning. As other said, as a freshmen (btw: at how many hours in flight?) do not overstretch new things. I am not advising the road you took - staying in the area and at fields familiar! I always told students to extend their skills step by step, but -> stay frequent on gaining new insights and you won't get that from resting in your training area. My rule of thumbs was one new thing at latest after three to five flights, but only one new thing - a new aircraft OR a new field OR new weather conditions OR new border to cross.

There already must have been the point in your training when we all felt the lack of confidence (usually when you circle and circle and cannot never get the landing right). Remember that feeling and how you went past it. Apply the same now, just go on.

jamesgrainge
11th Jul 2018, 09:23
As a new PPL I can totally sympathise. I frequently have huge moments of self doubt. But then I have to remember that my instructor wouldn't have sent me for my test if I wasn't capable, that they have taught me everything I need to fly safely and I demonstrated that to an examiner.

I'm a little torn, I think you piled a lot of pressure on yourself, but at the end of the day, flying is flying, if the weather is good then you have less concerns. Plan the flight properly, check the airfield procedures, write them down if necessary, pre flight and get knowledgeable and comfortable with the aircraft. And ask people if you are unsure.

I visited Sherburn In Elmet for the first time last week. (Exotic I know). I printed the circuit instructions and even drew my expected join. I planned where I was going to descend, wrote my heading for OHJ from my intended position and it all worked out perfectly. I think you should go unless there's an obvious physical or weather reason not to. Ultimately if you take off into clear skies the airfield is there behind you if you feel really uncomfortable.

scifi
13th Jul 2018, 21:03
I see that you give your location as London, so you will not have the same sort of freedom of airspace that we have in Wales. So maybe you are more concerned with your ability to Navigate safely, and legally. Have you followed the modern trend of using GPS, and I Pad apps, which you will have to be familiar with?
You could try a flight away from any airspace, by following a coastline and landing at Clacton or Southend.

Maoraigh1
13th Jul 2018, 22:28
Did you consider asking for an instructor to accompany you?