PDA

View Full Version : UK University that accepts ATPL as equiv to Bachelor's

bb777
23rd Jun 2018, 04:33
Hi all,

First post so please do let me know if this is in the right place!

I'm hoping to find a Masters in the UK where I can use my EASA ATPL as credit for an undergrad (I am uneducated in this regard) -- does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Appreciate there's no 'clean' equivalent for an ATPL in academia!

Thanks in advance

Ben

bb777
23rd Jun 2018, 09:12
Great, thanks. I was trying to find something non-aviation related but will get in touch with them anyways, sounds like they are open to professional quals.

Jason Middleton
23rd Jun 2018, 11:19
bb777

Try University of New South Wales in Sydney. They offer Grad Dip in Aviation Management with 1 year or more in the industry.

I am not able to post an url as I am a newbie, but you might seek UNSW Aviation in your local browser, then go to the Future Student drop down menu and look for Postgraduate Coursework.

good luck

JM

bb777
24th Jun 2018, 10:41
Great, thanks Jason

anchorhold
25th Jun 2018, 06:48
BB777.... It's a really good question, and the academic status of the ATPL has been discussed previously. Sadly the ATPL has never really achieved status of an academic qualification, likewise and instructor qualification has no status as a teaching qualification outside aviation. This is unlike occupations like nursing, pysiotherapy and radiography are all now all carry degree qualifications.

Having said that I largely agree with daysleeper it will really be down to an individual case by case basis and the department with have to justify the application to the academic register. Having said that, these days universities are in the business of making money and will try to help you.

In your case, it is probably down to how you present both your experience, training and qualifications. I would say you are more likely to get yourself on a MSc course which relates to your past studies, such an MSc in Aviation Management is more likely that a MSc in Chemistry or Mathematics.

Just to clarify, in general terms in respect a Masters, in the UK is either a MSc which is a taught course with exams and a dissertation, and a MPhil is a research degree by Thesis, , although you can request some taught modules in areas you need to strengthen such as statistical analysis or factor analysis.

The way you present your application is important, list every course, exam and the pass marks, which all being above seventy per cent may seem impressive, likewise be prepared to provide a copy of the syllabus.

If yourapplying for a research degree, you really need to put together a good research proposal, this is not easy, and you probably need a mentor to help you with this as there is no set format, it is more like a sales pitch. I can you some pointers if you pm me.

Finally, it is encouraging when people established in their career such as the military or aviation want to further themselves outside their career, it will always give you that edge upon promotion. I can think of a line pilot who did a MSc and ended up as a fleet captain, and another chief pilot and fleet captain who had a PhD. The added benefit is that if for whatever reason you leave aviation, your ATPL will mean nothing to most employers, and these days most half decent jobs require degree qualified people.

PDR1
25th Jun 2018, 07:23
Unless you are looking to do an MSc by research, or an extremely technical/academic MSc, you will find that most English universities will accept candidates with no first degree. They dress it up a bit in the brochure to keep the academic accreditors happy, but they rarely turn anyone away. Masters degrees are extremely lucrative; they aren't price-capped like graduate degrees, so the unis mostly treat them as cash cows.

once you have a cash cow you have to keep its food bin topped up...

PDR [BSc(hons) MSc^2]

bb777
3rd Jul 2018, 12:10
Thanks PDR1 and anchorhold, found your replies really useful. Certainly think there's a case for an ATPL to be presented in such a way that it looks reasonably relevant. Cheers!