PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Abnormal/Emergency procedures in A320

IFLY_INDIGO
12th Jun 2018, 17:38
Airbus permits the operators to modify normal SOP to suit its need.

Does Airbus permits the operator to modify abnormal / emergency procedures?

Can Operations Manual of an operator contradict the abnormal/emergency procedures described by Airbus in FCOM?

vilas
13th Jun 2018, 03:52
That depends on what you mean by abnormal procedures. The operator doesn't have access to the software, hardware or test flight data. The FCOM tells you what to do. With bare minimum system details on what basis is he going to develop the abnormal procedures? Yes some innocuous variations are possible like after EFATO after ECAM action do you make restart attempt before STATUS or after completing STATUS. But not the failure procedure itself.

IFLY_INDIGO
13th Jun 2018, 04:53
during Reject takeoff, Airbus procedure says ' PM calls ATC after aircraft comes to full stop'

but some airlines ask PM to make such call during deceleration if time permits. Is it legal to do so?

Feather44
13th Jun 2018, 06:27
As far as I understand Manufacturer SOP's, it is just a suggested way (a guide line) on how to proceed following an abnormality (or normal ops)
The word legal/illegal does not interfere in that matter.

vilas
13th Jun 2018, 07:26
I am in agreement with airbus procedure. I am not sure about the legality part but safety issues are definitely there. Should anything go wrong the airline is definitely responsible for it. During deceleration the PM has primary duty to monitor that aircraft is stopping and more importantly not leaving the runway. If the PF efforts are inadequate in these regards he needs to bring it to his attention/take over. Once the parking brake is set ATC can be informed. Nothing is achieved by doing it 15 seconds earlier at the risk of excursion. The procedure is based on a logic and flow. That was explained in a document by airbus in 2008. It was as follows:
1. Stopping the aircraft
2. Communicate
3. Manage the fire
4. Secure the aircraft for evacuation
5. EVAC required/ Not required

vilas
13th Jun 2018, 13:59
but some airlines ask PM to make such call during deceleration if time permits.
Is it in the airline SOP or just an idiosyncracy of an individual instructor?

RUMBEAR
13th Jun 2018, 20:57
I think the question you should be asking is will your local regulator permit you to modify abnormal procedures away from manufacturer recommendations?

IFLY_INDIGO
14th Jun 2018, 04:10
Is it in the airline SOP or just an idiosyncracy of an individual instructor?
part of SOP

IFLY_INDIGO
14th Jun 2018, 04:10
I think the question you should be asking is will your local regulator permit you to modify abnormal procedures away from manufacturer recommendations?
DGCA doesn't permit operators to modify the emergency procedures without prior approval from DGCA

pineteam
14th Jun 2018, 05:21
part of SOP

That's the problem when the airline tries to rewrite the manufacturer SOP. :}
The communication shall be after parking brake is set. It's important to communicate but it's still the last of the priority.

vilas
14th Jun 2018, 05:22
In any case it is vague. "If time permits" actually means nothing. Who decides that? Obviously the PM at that moment. So he can call ATC after parking brake is set. However should he decide to get involved with ATC during motion and excursion and fatality occurs the airline will have to answer. I am never tired of quoting the JetStar Australia incident in which in go around procedure they changed the priority of FMA call to after gear up. And the PF had stopped short of TOGA so FMGS didn't transition from Approach to the GA mode. They followed the FD which took them below minima. It happened to two other airlines as well. They all changed back to manufacturer's procedure.

Check Airman
14th Jun 2018, 05:52
I'm a fan of following manufacturer guidance, but let's inject some common sense. (See the loudspeaker with headset thread)

I don't have a problem with the airline saying call ATC if time permits. If there's no time, don't do it- no harm no foul. Aviate Navigate Communicate.

Real world scenario- some airports in the US get stupidly busy at times. There are instances where if you don't make a timely call to ATC, there'll be another airplane commencing the takeoff roll, or in the landing flare on the same, or an intersecting runway as you're decelerating.

Ideal? No, but it's what needs to be done sometimes.

IFLY_INDIGO
16th Jun 2018, 03:56
Got a reply from Airbus on this matter:

This is in response to your query below :
QUESTION:
Airbus permits the operators to modify normal SOP to suit its need.
Does Airbus also permits/allows the operator to modify abnormal / emergency procedures?
ANSWER:
We would like to advise XXX that operators can customize the FCOM abnormal procedures only to
provide additional information. However Airbus does not allowed any abnormal procedure customization
implying deletion of information.

pineteam
16th Jun 2018, 04:03
Cool!
IFLY_INDIGO, could you share the email you used to contact them please? Thanks.

compressor stall
16th Jun 2018, 08:00
You won't get a reply pineteam. Go through tech request on Airbusworld. (or get your tech pilot to do it).

IFLY_INDIGO
16th Jun 2018, 10:08
You won't get a reply pineteam. Go through tech request on Airbusworld. (or get your tech pilot to do it).
:ok: absolutely.. Go through the tech request on AirbusWorld

pineteam
16th Jun 2018, 15:13
Thank you guys!