PDA

View Full Version : BA F/O faces Jail for reporting to work drunk

Doors to Automatic
6th Jun 2018, 20:09
There was an original thread on this story which was eventually locked but today a BA 777 First Officer was told he faces jail for reporting for a flight whilst over the legal drink-fly limit. Details are here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-44380667

What surprises me is not the 86mg reading, (which was over the 80mg drink-drive limit never mind the 20mg aviation one) but that the individual concerned claimed he had only had a single vodka and coke 8 hours before.

I cannot for a minute believe this to be true as this would have surely exited the system in entirety around 2 hours later? It is incomprehensible that he would still be so far over the limit 8 hours later. I would be interested in any views on this particular point.

Buswinker
6th Jun 2018, 21:31
What surprises me is not the 86mg reading, (which was over the 80mg drink-drive limit never mind the 20mg aviation one) but that the individual concerned claimed he had only had a single (bottle) vodka and coke 8 hours before.

fixed that for you ;)

Unixman
6th Jun 2018, 21:40
There was an original thread on this story which was eventually locked but today a BA 777 First Officer was told he faces jail for reporting for a flight whilst over the legal drink-fly limit. Details are here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-44380667

What surprises me is not the 86mg reading, (which was over the 80mg drink-drive limit never mind the 20mg aviation one) but that the individual concerned claimed he had only had a single vodka and coke 8 hours before.

I cannot for a minute believe this to be true as this would have surely exited the system in entirety around 2 hours later? It is incomprehensible that he would still be so far over the limit 8 hours later. I would be interested in any views on this particular point.

Before I moved into IT I was a biochemist and looked at the rate of alcohol metabolism. The following is from a paper published in 2012.

"Although rates vary widely, the “average” metabolic capacity to remove alcohol is about 170 to 240 g per day for a person with a body weight of 70 kg. This would be equivalent to an average metabolic rate of about 7 g/hr which translates to about one drink per hr.."

It must be said that the same paper goes on to say that there is a 3~4 fold variability in the rate of ethanol elimination but, even then, the sums, in my opinion, don't add up for one drink.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3484320/

TowerDog
6th Jun 2018, 22:21
We never learn..
Really boys and girls, on a short night stop have a cup,of tea and a light meal, sleep good and go to work next day knowing you are bullet proof.
Been there, done that and finally learned.
As far as flight safety, (for the peanut gallery, the finger pointers and the SLF) look at fatigue: A much more serious problem than some pilot showing up for work with 0.03 from a few glasses of wine with dinner the night before.
Quite a few of us can’t sleep due to time zones, bad hotels, or just having flown long-haul too many years.
Not only that but the FAA had not limit on Duty Time for international supplemental carries until recently:
Yes, you can go 40 hours with no rest and keep on flying as long as you don’t exceed 12 hours in the seat.
Many moons ago as a junior FO, I did it, not much choice shutting down the operation due to “fatigue”.
Later as a Captain I would indeed shut it down, set the parking brake and ask the company to arrange for transport to the hotel. Some guys would get fired for doing that: Pressure is on: Fly until you drop, perfectly legal, all 3 seats in the cockpit filled by zombies. Legal as can be, but hang the guy who is fresh and rested, but has 0.03 % alcohol in the blood.
The irony..

Max Angle
6th Jun 2018, 23:17
Really boys and girls, on a short night stop have a cup,of tea and a light meal, sleep good and go to work next day knowing you are bullet proof.
Never had any time for puritans, have a light meal with one beer which is much more enjoyable and still be bullet proof.

gileraguy
6th Jun 2018, 23:21
what about a small meal and a LIGHT beer....

krismiler
6th Jun 2018, 23:34
His solicitor made the argument that he wouldn't have taken control of the aircraft until three and a half hours into the flight, which was rejected. He could have had to take control earlier in the event of crew incapacitation and duties such a flight planning and carrying out a preflight check on the aircraft require a pilot to be sober.

Career down the drain at 50 and passengers will be looking at the rest of us, wondering if we've been drinking as well. Nice one.

M.Mouse
7th Jun 2018, 08:07
I flew more than once with Julian Monaghan as my co-pilot around 10 years ago. He was a thoroughly decent regular guy and a very competent pilot. He did not drink excessively during our layovers, or rather I didn't observe or suspect him of drinking heavily.

He is certainly far from stupid and he is paying and will continue to pay a heavy price for what has happened. I would hazard a guess that he might have developed an alcohol problem for whatever reasons in his life.

I do not excuse his behaviour but I suspect it was not a reckless disregard for the rules or common sense but something far deeper.

I hope he gets the help he needs and it saddens me to see someone lose their career in this way.

beamer
7th Jun 2018, 08:18
There is UK precedent for this and I believe the person jalled some years ago got his licence back and is still flying commercially.

42go
7th Jun 2018, 09:54
Quote 'Mighty Mouse'

"I would hazard a guess that he might have developed an alcohol problem for whatever reasons in his life.

I do not excuse his behaviour but I suspect it was not a reckless disregard for the rules or common sense but something far deeper."

No sh*t Sherlock! I think you may be right. As a pilot you should know that pilots have a certain responsibility to act sensibly. This man did not. He suffers accordingly, and yes, I hope he is given appropriate help. I trust that your 'sympathies' for him would also extend to those car passengers he might have killed or injured driving to work while drunk, or those passengers and crew he likewise might have endangered as a crew member.

Whatever his problem, 'passed over' BA RHS queen, marital. financial or whatever, the public and his fellow crew have the right to expect that he would act sensibly. He did not. It was unforgiveable. I hope you are equally 'saddened' by his failure to exercise his responsibilites too? Your 'suspicion' that it was not a "reckless disregard for the rules or common sense" gives me and others in the aviation community great concern, in particular for your judgement as a BA Captain.

ManaAdaSystem
7th Jun 2018, 09:58
We never learn..
Been there, done that and finally learned.
As far as flight safety, (for the peanut gallery, the finger pointers and the SLF) look at fatigue: A much more serious problem than some pilot showing up for work with 0.03 from a few glasses of wine with dinner the night before.
Quite a few of us can’t sleep due to time zones, bad hotels, or just having flown long-haul too many years.
Not only that but the FAA had not limit on Duty Time for international supplemental carries until recently:
Yes, you can go 40 hours with no rest and keep on flying as long as you don’t exceed 12 hours in the seat.
Many moons ago as a junior FO, I did it, not much choice shutting down the operation due to “fatigue”.
Later as a Captain I would indeed shut it down, set the parking brake and ask the company to arrange for transport to the hotel. Some guys would get fired for doing that: Pressure is on: Fly until you drop, perfectly legal, all 3 seats in the cockpit filled by zombies. Legal as can be, but hang the guy who is fresh and rested, but has 0.03 % alcohol in the blood.
The irony..

If you show up over the limit, chances are you are not fresh and rested. Alcohol has a negative impact on your sleep quality.
Fatigue is bad. Mixing alcohol with fatigue is worse. There are few easy rosters out there, we all work hard.

cargosales
7th Jun 2018, 11:15
We never learn..
... (quote snipped)

The irony..

I couldn't agree more about fatigue.

I was driving us home late one night after an airshow we'd been working at (and had absolutely no alcohol whatsoever plus ate sensibly), the long hours suddenly kicked in. And I couldn't stay awake / felt myself nodding off at the wheel. I pulled off at the next exit and turned off the engine. Mate next to me apparantly then woke up and asked where we were but I didn't answer ... because I was already asleep!!

When you're flying an aircraft you simply don't have the 'luxury' of being able to pull over at the next exit and take some time out.

These are scary times when airlines push the limits on crew hours. And equally when struggling with fatigue, why some people still report for duty when they are over the alcohol limit.

CS

Timmy Tomkins
7th Jun 2018, 12:06
I couldn't agree more about fatigue.

I was driving us home late one night after an airshow we'd been working at (and had absolutely no alcohol whatsoever plus ate sensibly), the long hours suddenly kicked in. And I couldn't stay awake / felt myself nodding off at the wheel. I pulled off at the next exit and turned off the engine. Mate next to me apparantly then woke up and asked where we were but I didn't answer ... because I was already asleep!!

When you're flying an aircraft you simply don't have the 'luxury' of being able to pull over at the next exit and take some time out.

These are scary times when airlines push the limits on crew hours. And equally when struggling with fatigue, why some people still report for duty when they are over the alcohol limit.

CS
I expect many of us know pilots who have crashed - sometimes fatally - driving home due to sleep deprivation. There have been 2 studies that relate fatigue directly as a measure against alcohol level and current regs allow crews to operate perfectly legally with fatigue levels equivalent to alcohol levels that are illegal. It's in the "too difficult/expensive" box and neither authorities nor companies will deal with it.

Doors to Automatic
7th Jun 2018, 12:26
It is also worth pointing out that this was not a morning flight, where a lively session the night before might have lead to a positive reading the following day.

To be reading 86mg at 8pm is very impressive if it is off a previous evening, and there is certainly no excuse for drinking anything during the day leading up to an evening departure. I suspect that there is more to this than meets the eye.

All that being said, I hope that the poor chap gets the help he obviously needs and is able to resume his career. I don't personally think anything would be served by sending him to prison (and I am no liberal when it comes to law and justice).

GKOC41
7th Jun 2018, 14:44
I expect many of us know pilots who have crashed - sometimes fatally - driving home due to sleep deprivation. There have been 2 studies that relate fatigue directly as a measure against alcohol level and current regs allow crews to operate perfectly legally with fatigue levels equivalent to alcohol levels that are illegal. It's in the "too difficult/expensive" box and neither authorities nor companies will deal with it.

Timmy
Its a bit like the C word (commuting) many CAA/Companies or Crew deal with it either

Evanelpus
7th Jun 2018, 15:17
what about a small meal and a LIGHT beer....

Why should people feel the need to drink (alcohol) with a meal?

Is this something along the line of "cigarette after a meal enhances the taste".

ShotOne
7th Jun 2018, 15:51
Yes, plonker, Grade 1. Do not pass go, etc. But for those concerned pax reading this, if you want to worry about something it's fatigue not alcohol that should be causing most concern.

arthur harbrow
7th Jun 2018, 16:05
I have never posted on rumours and news before being only an interested slf.However, I really cannot see what good a prison sentence would serve in this case.
This man has already lost his job and who knows what else.
I noted the magistrate stated as a pilot his actions were worse than driving a car in this condition, I would disagree.Surely in the cockpit his fellow crew members would have prevented him from killing everyone.

Tray Surfer
7th Jun 2018, 16:23
People make their choices, and they must live with the consequences.

I have little sympathy for people who put themselves in these situations, in any industry or job.

Orvilles dad
7th Jun 2018, 16:54
The Times report on this indicates that Pilot's Solicitor reported his client had a Vodka and Coke at 10:30 in the morning.

Generally, few people drink hard liquor at breakfast, which seems to indicate an underlying drink problem that needs proper treatment.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/british-airways-pilot-was-four-times-over-drink-limit-as-jet-prepared-to-fly-7nsrsn6cx

OvertHawk
7th Jun 2018, 17:05
I have never posted on rumours and news before being only an interested slf.However, I really cannot see what good a prison sentence would serve in this case.
This man has already lost his job and who knows what else.
I noted the magistrate stated as a pilot his actions were worse than driving a car in this condition, I would disagree.Surely in the cockpit his fellow crew members would have prevented him from killing everyone.

I consider Alcohol related problems to be a health issue and have a significant sympathy for anyone with a problem.

That sympathy stops when they let it risk the safety of other people.

I agree entirely that fatigue is a much more significant problem but that does not excuse other kinds of breaches.

The suggestion that "his fellow crew-members would have stopped him from killing anyone" is absolute bunkum as an argument in this case - he's onboard to support them as part of the crew not to be a burden to them. What happens if it's him that's needed to step up and stop them killing everyone if they make a mistake, become fatigued or become incapacitated?

As for prison - I don't think that in his direct case it will be necessary but as part of the wider issue I think there is a strong justification for a prison sentence to underline to everyone else in this industry that this is not acceptable.

Once again - This Gentleman has my genuine sympathy if he is suffering from Alcoholism. I personally hope they give him a suspended prison sentence, but a custodial one would be entirely warranted.

Herod
7th Jun 2018, 20:31
Regarding his having a vodka in the morning, it is reported that he came off an overnight positioning flight. That being the case, the vodka was probably a "wind-down" drink (although 8 hours before duty sounds a bit odd. 11 hours would be more in line with crew rest). I also suspect there is a lot more here than meets the eye. 8 hours from a single vodka might leave some residual alcohol, but not enough to be over even the driving limit. So, either porky-pies or there is some underlying medical problem we don't know about. I guess we'll never know the full story.

Joe le Taxi
7th Jun 2018, 22:16
The Times reports he spent the day prior to reporting (after the commuting flight) without food or sleep. If true, was he not falling to ensure adequate fitness for duty, in multiple respects, not just alcohol? "Colleagues became concerned about his appearance" - I'm not surprised; Anyone would look a wreck after that, before even starting work.

hans brinker
8th Jun 2018, 02:10
The Times report on this indicates that Pilot's Solicitor reported his client had a Vodka and Coke at 10:30 in the morning.

Generally, few people drink hard liquor at breakfast, which seems to indicate an underlying drink problem that needs proper treatment.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/british-airways-pilot-was-four-times-over-drink-limit-as-jet-prepared-to-fly-7nsrsn6cx

Not saying you aren't right in this case, but I fly mostly at night, get into the hotel at 7am, have an alcoholic drink with my "breakfast" (or as I call it "dinner"). I then go to bed. sleep for 8 hours (if I don't get woken up by housekeeping....). Get up 5pm, go work-out, go for "dinner" around 8pm (or as I like to call it "brunch"), and normally have a pick-up around 10pm. Definitely not everyone's schedule, but also very legal. This guy reported for long-haul so there is way more reverse side of the clock then for the 9-5 crowd.

cargosales
9th Jun 2018, 09:41
Not saying you aren't right in this case, but I fly mostly at night, get into the hotel at 7am, have an alcoholic drink with my "breakfast" (or as I call it "dinner"). I then go to bed. sleep for 8 hours (if I don't get woken up by housekeeping....). Get up 5pm, go work-out, go for "dinner" around 8pm (or as I like to call it "brunch"), and normally have a pick-up around 10pm. Definitely not everyone's schedule, but also very legal. This guy reported for long-haul so there is way more reverse side of the clock then for the 9-5 crowd.

Quite - few realise that someone's breakfast time might be someone else's supper time.

A few years ago I dated a nurse who worked the typical NHS 12.5 hour shifts, starting at 7am or 7pm ish. If she was on nights then her 'supper' at 9am would often involve a 'meat and two veg' meal, plus a glass of wine. If possible eaten outside in the morning sunshine. After some strange looks from the neighbours they took to putting the wine in coffee cups .....

But, equally, when she came over for the weekend after a straight 7 night shifts in a row (only just legal but it was), she was absolutely wrecked and fit for nothing. Think about it, you pilots who are taking your kids to A&E when they've had an accident .. 12.5 hours x 7 = 87.5 hours worked in one week. That's one week, not one month!! And these are people charged with looking after the lives of others.

It was a very boring weekend by the way...

CS

Radgirl
9th Jun 2018, 10:03
Sorry, medicine and aviation are different. That is not to say you dont need to concentrate in the NHS but it is totally different work, mostly done in one time zone, on static or regularly rotating rostas indoors on the ground. Fatigue does play a role in safety in both industries, but whereas pilots are restricted well below the european working time directive, doctors are actually exempt. Doctors work single handed - no multi crewing which is a very good idea as we have no CRM training! I worked 112 hour weeks for many years in medicine and it was far far easier than flying within EASA limits.

cargosales
9th Jun 2018, 10:21
That's a fair point Radgirl about time zones and being different types of work etc and I'm not trying to pick a fight (just genuinely curious) but .. how do you know that it was 'far, far easier than flying within EASA limits'? How can fatigue be measured or assessed or compared across different industries?? Genuine question... and I don't know the answer

Doctors don't always work alone though .. they have nurses to help them, carry out their instructions etc. And just occasionally to call them on bad decisions because they themselves are too tired to make the right one. As happened with this lady I was seeing who once refused to carry out a doctor's instructions to do xyz. He went off on one and reported her to his consultants group who looked into it. and told him "You owe this nurse a serious apology because what you told her to do would probably have killed that patient". She never did get one..

(My respects to you for working those hours by the way!)

Radgirl
9th Jun 2018, 11:37
Thanks Cargosales. No offense taken - it is a fascinating subject covering many industries. My personal experience is that fatique was more of an issue and effected my performance and safety to a greater extent in aviation as opposed to medicine. and although there are others around, Many of us in medicine are working such that there are no cross checks and nobody else has the expertise to pick up errors nor to react to them. You correctly point out this is not universal.

Heathrow Harry
9th Jun 2018, 15:28
Today almost everything is all over the web in seconds - compared to Pprune 10 years ago I start to think we need new forums for

Planes running off runway/taxiways
Aircrew arrested for possible intoxication
Passengers attacked by airline/security staff
Drunk passengers

It's not that things are getting worse - I suspect the rates of all of the above were much the same 10, 20, 30 years ago - it's just we know about EVERYTHING these days - whether we like it or not...............

blind pew
9th Jun 2018, 16:17
But my last company saw it as a health problem and paid for the pilot to attend an institute like the priory then give them a useful job on the ground for a year or so on full pay. They were reintroduced back on the line. Always with company medical back up over an extended period.
Maybe BA has changed and had already done this.. if not they should look at their welfare policies.

flash8
10th Jun 2018, 17:24
Doctors work single handed
They work as part of a multidisciplinary team and even clinical judgement can be questioned. Even in my part of the world if a doctor had alcohol on their breath and was suspected of being impaired (s)he'd be pulled.

As for aviation, many single pilot ops.

This guy needs support, rehabilitation and insight so that he may again be productive, however most Airlines will make a big show of pushing offender out of the door pronto and trying to turn it into a "we put passenger safety first" advert and "said person is no longer employed by us".

Radgirl
11th Jun 2018, 12:43
Thanks flash8

'Multidisciplinary team' is just a PC term whereby individuals' decisions are questioned after the event. nothing has really changed. Unlike multicrew aviation post Windsor where decisions are cross checked at the time. An anaesthetist works on his own most of the time. Nobody can question or is even aware of his judgement until it is immaterial

We do have quite a good system for picking up those addicted to drugs and alcohol with a protocol accepted by the government in some countries such that the individual is stopped from working, given help and then allowed to continue working, albeit sometimes in another specialty. These systems were designed by and operated by doctors, not employers or authorities. No police or court involvement. I have seen more than a few colleagues / trainees continue to work successfully afterwards.

However there is no proscribed alcohol level for being a doctor or nurse. I have never seen anyone breathalyzed. I have never seen anyone picked up for being drunk as opposed to being an ongoing alcoholic. Is it that fellow doctors are more ready to pull the individual up, is it that the presence of a rescue system and no prosecution means the individual is more ready to admit their problem and accept help, or is medicine less safe? I certainly dont know but food for thought

bafanguy
11th Jun 2018, 12:52
Sorry, medicine and aviation are different. Doctors work single handed - no multi crewing which is a very good idea as we have no CRM training!

Radgirl,

Interesting comparison between medicine and aviation. Seen this book ? It's pretty good and makes the point that medicine could learn some things from aviation:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Checklist-Aviation-Teamwork-Politics/dp/0801478294

Reverserbucket
11th Jun 2018, 13:31
I would add that in my wife's NHS trust there are also no planned rest/nutrition breaks during these 12.5hr plus shifts cargosales describes, and with an expectation that staff will be present typically half an hour prior and as required after handover with little roster stability including lates to earlies, often with less than minimum rest. Three of her colleagues are currently participating in tribunals and malpractice enquiries. She also enjoys a wind-down glass of wine at 9am following a nightshift (which I think was the point being made - not all who drink in the morning fall into the 'problem drinker' category). But back to the case of the BA F/O, I don't believe BA is a company that would be seen to be making a big show of pushing offender out of the door however in this case, wasn't there an element of bringing the company into disrepute as a consequence of reporting by the media following the event?

Herod
11th Jun 2018, 14:13
however in this case, wasn't there an element of bringing the company into disrepute as a consequence of reporting by the media following the event?

Trial by media then.

GKOC41
11th Jun 2018, 14:17
If your working 112 hours week in week out your most likely to suffer from fatigue. If your working to EASA (how many times do Pilots work to the limits e.g. of FDP / duty hours etc) your most likely to suffer from sleepiness. There is a big difference imho.

Ian W
11th Jun 2018, 14:28
Radgirl,

Interesting comparison between medicine and aviation. Seen this book ? It's pretty good and makes the point that medicine could learn some things from aviation:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Checklist-Aviation-Teamwork-Politics/dp/0801478294

Interesting - I had the 'good luck' to require minor surgery here in the US. They wheeled me partially sedated into the operating theater where the surgeon went through the who are you, is this where we are operating etc. then they started the anesthetic - as they did, the surgeon went into PF briefing crew mode and his demeanor went from bedside manner to punchy CRM, We will be doing this - your task is ...., your task is.... then I was recovering ;-)
I was quite impressed and told him so at a post op check a week later. I said it sounded like a crew brief. Turns out they had been cross training on the flight crew approach to CRM for use in the operating theater. Happens when you use university medical centers.

Radgirl
11th Jun 2018, 15:05
Ian W sadly dont believe a word a surgeon tells you

Some years ago a doctor from Africa showed the large number of errors being made in operating theatres - wrong operation, wrong patient, wrong site. He worked tirelessly to get most nations to introduce what is called the WHO check list. We all use it. Fantastic

The only difference is that outside the US we tend to think of surgeons as just doctors not god so it is usually the anaesthetist, who is able to talk to god, who leads the checklist and tells everyone what to do

Seriously, this simple check list has made a massive difference in terms of reducing risk. I totally agree that, although there are major differences between aviation and medicine, the latter can learn a a lot from the former. One of the most important is confidential reporting such as CHIRP - in medicine you can only report an error by going public, and often get crucified.

cargosales
11th Jun 2018, 20:42
Radgirl, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the WHO checklist but having done a quick Google it makes a lot of sense..

Kind of like when the surgeon came round to have a chat to my (then) partner about the op she was about to undergo. And explained that they wanted to make damned sure they had got it absolutely right (and didn't remove the wrong kidney or bit or whatever) so there was a cross check in the operating theatre so they looked for the 'big blue cross'. And he then got out a marker pen and drew a large blue cross. On one of her boobs! And he agreed with her that that was indeed the problem area (and the correct boob) which needed to be operated on.

Momentarily embarrassing, yes. Lifetime of anguish and unecessary lawsuits - avoided!!

cargosales
11th Jun 2018, 21:11
Radgirl, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the WHO checklist but having done a quick Google it makes a lot of sense..

Kind of like when the surgeon came round to have a chat to my (then) partner about the op she was about to undergo. And explained that they wanted to make damned sure they had got it absolutely right (and didn't remove the wrong kidney or bit or whatever) so there was a cross check in the operating theatre so they looked for the 'big blue cross'. And he then got out a marker pen and drew a large blue cross. On one of her boobs! And he agreed with her that that was indeed the problem area (and the correct boob) which needed to be operated on.

Momentarily embarrassing, yes. Lifetime of anguish and unecessary lawsuits - avoided!!

pulse1
12th Jun 2018, 10:06
Sounds like the medical world is slowly catching up with aviation:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44413443

Nige321
12th Jun 2018, 11:29
He got 8 months...
BBC report (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-44451094)

GKOC41
12th Jun 2018, 14:27
So the Pilot flew into LHR from Cape Town at 0630 (based on assumption the times have not changed to those today) and was due to depart from LGW at 2020 (assume 1 hour report 1920) so to be safe leave LHR at 1720?
If I was BA i'd be wondering should we allow this practice and be going through tickets and rosters for commuters.
#can of worms

wiggy
12th Jun 2018, 14:55
So the Pilot flew into LHR from Cape Town at 0630 (based on assumption the times have not changed to those today) and was due to depart from LGW at 2020 (assume 1 hour report 1920) so to be safe leave LHR at 1720?
If I was BA i'd be wondering should we allow this practice and be going through tickets and rosters for commuters.
#can of worms

Then you will no doubt be pleased to know that BA have already done exactly that over the last couple of months without seemingly finding a #canofworms to be opened, though they have promised they will be carrying out further audits of pre-duty travel in the future. Whether the particular case being discussed here was the catalyst for the very recent audit I do not know.

If you are genuinely concerned about the travelling, rest and fatigue culture at BA then I’ll point out that this summer BA are scheduling ( iaw the EASA rule set) a two pilot night flight out to the Gulf/16 hour daytime layover/two pilot night flight back to LHR. I’d suggest the fact BA are quite willing to produce rosters like that means they are perhaps not in a strong position to take the moral high ground about someone travelling to work as a passenger, sleeping quite possibly in a “comfy” seat, then having daytime rest in a hotel bed and then reporting for a duty as part of an augmented crew.

BusyB
12th Jun 2018, 17:48
Totally agree with you TowerDog.

I think there is a hugely greater percentage of pilots flying fatigued than flying under the influence of Alcohol.

Most Airlines now roster max FDP followed by Min Rest ad infinitum.

As far as comparisons with medicine go I suspect there are many Doctors and Nurses working when fatigued (I don't mean tired). Who knows what mistakes are made in these circumstances?

Don't forget there is a comparison chart of Hours Awake/ Alcohol Equivalent.

Patrick99
12th Jun 2018, 18:48
Personal tragedy for this man - the 8 month prison sentence feels to me like kicking a man when he is down. I'm not a pilot, but I am only a few years younger than this man. To lose not only my job now, but also the opportunity to work again in the only career I know would be devastating for both me and my family. There would be no need to add a prison sentence on top of that (or at least they could have suspended it if they wanted to send a 'message').

If I'm reading it correctly he was at the UK drink drive limit, and not due to actually fly the plane for another few hours (I get what people are saying about he might have had to fly if someone else took ill etc). I think the loss of his career and a suspended sentence would have been punishment enough. I don't see why he is in prison when people who set out to hurt people are free on suspended sentences?

RAT 5
12th Jun 2018, 19:17
I think there is a hugely greater percentage of pilots flying fatigued than flying under the influence of Alcohol.
Most Airlines now roster max FDP followed by Min Rest ad infinitum.
Don't forget there is a comparison chart of Hours Awake/ Alcohol Equivalent.

Filed under, as has been for years, 'an inconvenient truth.' As a result nothing will change. If there is not a solution acceptable to share holders then the problem will stay 'undiscovered'. This is not the only such issue in commercial aviation. Standards and quality are under threat the whole time and dribbling downwards. If they can get away with it, they will. Until there is a problem, there is no problem. Yet we are in an industry that supposedly prides itself on anticipation of problems and being proactive. IMHO that has disappeared long ago and we've been lucky so far; or perhaps not considering the number of serviceable a/c that have come to grief for bizarre human factor reasons.

IRRenewal
12th Jun 2018, 19:25

However, that does not justify turning up for work drunk. Ever.

exeng
12th Jun 2018, 23:02
As Patrick said I think the loss of his career and a suspended sentence would have been punishment enough.

The punishment in this case does not seem to fit the crime, particularly when compared to other more serious crimes.

BusyB
13th Jun 2018, 06:12
IRRenewal,

Never said it did. I was pointing out that the Elephant in the room is fatigue in both professions which is almost completely ignored.

Heathrow Harry
13th Jun 2018, 06:29
IRRenewal,

Never said it did. I was pointing out that the Elephant in the room is fatigue in both professions which is almost completely ignored.

Much tougher to measure and to set a one size fits all standard - blow into the bag , simple measurement and it's Pass/Fail

Tired?? varies from one person to another, and even day to day...............

garp
13th Jun 2018, 06:36
Everything has been said but I just wanted to add that there is something seriously wrong with publishing his pictures in handcuffs. Public media lynching in its finest form. I wish the man and his family all the best.

ShotOne
13th Jun 2018, 07:02
HH, fatigue may not have an easy blow-in-bag detector but the circumstances which produce it are entirely predictable and avoidable. If the travelling public are taking an interest in this case fatigue is a far wider and more dangerous issue

beamender99
13th Jun 2018, 08:57
Headline of the article in the online UK Daily Mail

Drunk BA pilot had empty litre bottles of vodka in his lodgings.
Colleagues covered up for pilot etc. etc.

Plus lots of photos.

garp
13th Jun 2018, 09:16
Headline of the article in the online UK Daily Mail

Drunk BA pilot had empty litre bottles of vodka in his lodgings.
Colleagues covered up for pilot etc. etc.

Plus lots of photos.
That is what I was referring to with the handcuffs pictures. Public lynching, totally shameful.

wiggy
13th Jun 2018, 09:25
IMHO the DM as usual uses interesting/perjorative language. It is just possible this “dosshouse”, as the DM describes it, is a basic but clean B&B, one of several in the area that caters for the needs of crew who don’t live near the airport. There might just perhaps be several rooms, and just one occupant to a room..so perhaps it’s not a “dosshouse” in the sense of a dormitory set up with several people sleeping in bunks in a room and being in each other’s pockets socially.

I guess it is also just possible that this individual kept himself to himself and chose to drink alone in his room. In that case it is perhaps a bit unfair to speculate that his colleagues were going to know what he was up to and just perhaps a bit unfair to assume that they were knowingly engaging in a cover up.........

Radgirl
13th Jun 2018, 09:54
However, colleagues claimed he had a longstanding drinking problem that saw him down one-litre entire bottles of vodka a night.

This behaviour is completely unacceptable and not what we expect from our highly professional fleet of pilots.

Quotes from the DM need to be used with care, but if these are correct it seems even BA are ignorant about drug addiction, seeing an alcoholic as a criminal as opposed to a patient with a mental illness who needs treatment. Until employers and the law recognise mental illness as illness we will continue to incarcerate addicts, schitzophrenics etc labeling them as bad. If this pilot had keeled over with a heart attack there would have been sympathy and support for his incapacitation. Because the illness is above then neck he is a criminal. There is a lot of education to be done....

AviatorDave
13th Jun 2018, 10:02
It is beyond me personally how some people just cannot stay away from booze for a limited time like if they were addicts, especially in the face of risking the career or worse. He made it into BA, into a 777 flight deck, and then this.
However, media treatment of the case with picturing the poor chap in handcuffs is just appalling.

pax britanica
13th Jun 2018, 10:12
The big problem with all of these cases is where do you draw the line-not in terms of alcohol units or hours of rest but as regards the job itself
In my business career I often spent months and even years trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube where lawyers had 'worked all night' to finalise an agreement which turned out to be materially different from the technical and commercial aspects it was intended for. Should corporate lawyers be drug and alcohol tested. How about criminal lawyers are they tested before going to court to radically impact an individuals life-how about judges

The story was covered in the Daily Mail, not a paper lauded for accuracy and objectivity and an industry where drinking is not an unknown past time. Should journos and editors be tested.

Politicians, isn't drinking actually subsidised for MPs ?

City traders, well how many times have city bankers f--ked up the world for the rest of us, does no one threre drink or use recreational drugs before signing up to sub prime mortgage hedges and the like..

To me it seems huge degree of hypocrisy over the likes of say pilots and train drivers being prosecuted or fired . Admittedly none of the people i listed can kill a couple of hundred people in a burning wreck but we have all read about over tired doctors making catastrophic mistakes, peoples lives wrecked by incorrect media reports, Who is to say someone hadn't had a few too many when signing of the spec on W London Tower block a few years ago. for example. Its hard to draw a line but I have felt that as a start any industry where some staff members are tested then everyone else has to be upto and including the CEO and in an era where people work very long hours more thought needs to be given to academic studies that show that most if not all human judgement and mental capacity is drastically reduced after 9-10 hours.

So while clearly it is wrong to fly airliners and drive trains after excessive drink or drug use there are usually personal reasons behind these cases where the person concerned is demonised and criminalised in the name of sensationalism but people who have far from clean hands themselves.

wiggy
13th Jun 2018, 10:19
Radgirl....

As you have detected BA’s disciplinary code with regard to alcohol doesn’t leave much of any wriggle room (rightly or wrongly)....yet funnily enough just a month ago BA were running an internal campaign labelled as a “Mental Awareness Week” to (rightly) encourage us all to be more understanding of certain health issues that can impact on any of us at anytime...yet even so it looks like some mental health problems are more acceptable than others.

BusyB
13th Jun 2018, 12:05
HH,

If you think tiredness is the same as fatigue you are obviously not qualified to make any comment.

M.Mouse
13th Jun 2018, 12:55
As you have detected BA’s disciplinary code with regard to alcohol doesn’t leave much of any wriggle room (rightly or wrongly)....yet funnily enough just a month ago BA were running an internal campaign labelled as a “Mental Awareness Week” to (rightly) encourage us all to be more understanding of certain health issues that can impact on any of us at anytime...yet even so it looks like some mental health problems are more acceptable than others.

I have been retired some years now so the policy may have changed but the last time I had any dealings with management when I had concerns that a captain had an alcohol problem I was told that BA helped those who came to the attention either by asking for help or being confronted directly if an individual had been brought to their attention. The help was in the form of the individual being sent to a clinic to dry out and retained their employment status. It was done in full co-operation with the CAA. There was no second chance. Similar help was offered to both flight and cabin crew.

I was also told that if it came to the attention of BA through cases such as Julian Monaghan's where the issue was splashed all over the press then dismissal was inevitable. The justification for that is arguable given that alcoholism is an illness.

It is beyond me personally how some people just cannot stay away from booze for a limited time like if they were addicts, especially in the face of risking the career or worse. He made it into BA, into a 777 flight deck, and then this.

If it was a case of just careless drinking I would agree. If it is alcoholism then the individual is indeed an 'addict'.

However, media treatment of the case with picturing the poor chap in handcuffs is just appalling.

Loss of career, time in jail and the utterly humiliating and disgraceful coverage from the Daily Mail and others.

The article refers to a 'pilot's dosshouse' when it is common knowledge within BA that there are several rooms available in well run, fully serviced houses set up for precisely the sort of need pilot's have, for a variety of reasons, for short term, comfortable and quiet rest facilities.

Heathrow Harry
13th Jun 2018, 13:20
HH,

If you think tiredness is the same as fatigue you are obviously not qualified to make any comment.

It's a matter of language TBH - my point was that there is no simple test for fatigue/tiredness compared to that for drinking. I've found the effects of fatigue vary not only between individuals but also can vary rapidly in any one person. Both the person involved and those around them have to be on constant watch to detect the first signs. In the last 12 months I've sent three guys home because IMHO (and it was my opinion that counted) they were showing signs of fatigue/tiredness - 2 were due short term/intense work conditions (less than 72 hours but full-on concentration in very tough physical conditions) but the other was a guy who was running out of steam after 4 months of work - mainly office based but unremitting grind and attention to detail. All of them were on full pay while they were off and no disciplinary action ever mentioned, noted or contemplated. Sometimes you have to save people from themselves............

clareprop
13th Jun 2018, 14:35
Loss of career, time in jail and the utterly humiliating and disgraceful coverage from the Daily Mail and others.
I am no apologist for The Mail but be careful you don't go too far the other way. Transport workers who carry members of the public in their vehicles have a unique requirement regarding the level of alcohol content in their blood. Unfortunately, one of the tenets of justice is deterrence and for that to work, it must be public which is unfortunately, humiliating. I don't think the gentleman in question has been treated any differently in relative terms to the majority of train or bus drivers (or indeed, other pilots) who have been found in charge, or preparing to become in charge, of their vehicle.
He will begin his rehabilitation program quite quickly and probably be released in 3 months or so. That his career is over is not in question but he is in a position many others have experienced and hopefully, he will get the support of friends and family to help him in the coming months.

Bergerie1
13th Jun 2018, 14:48
We had a policy in my company which said, if you - the man/woman with an alcohol problem - seek help, the company will lean over backwards to help. Equally, if a colleague seeks help on your behalf the company will do the same. But if you come on duty over the limit the book will be thrown at you, unless you immediately admit the problem and are willing to accept help. There were a number of success stories - but you tend only to hear about those that are not successful.

back to Boeing
13th Jun 2018, 14:52
HH,

Only people who's mother tongue is English will make the distinction between fatigue and tiredness. The rest of the world doesn't.

BusyB
13th Jun 2018, 15:13
In Aviation you should be able to make that distinction regardless of your mother tongue. I accept that in other professions it may be less well known.

beamender99
13th Jun 2018, 15:39
BA pilot jailed for being three times over alcohol limit in plane cockpitJulian Monaghan drank three double vodkas in hotel before a long-haul flight to Mauritius

Press Association
Tue 12 Jun 2018 14.04 BSTLast modified on Wed 13 Jun 2018 11.09 BSThares
589https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/6b1384f0319237b0fb545ca9f8fca2690f33d258/0_122_3500_2101/master/3500.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max& (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/12/british-airways-pilot-jailed-drunk-in-cockpit-boeing-777#img-1)
Julian Monaghan arrives at Crawley magistrates court on Tuesday for sentencing. Photograph: Dominic Lipinski/PA A British Airways pilot has been jailed for eight months after being caught more than three times over the alcohol limit while on duty
Julian Monaghan drank three double vodkas and diet Pepsi in his hotel room on an empty stomach before he was due onboard a long-haul flight from Gatwick to Mauritius on 18 January.
Police were called when Verity McAllen, a technician who was checking the Boeing 777 before takeoff, noticed a strong smell of alcohol on Monaghan’s breath.
Passengers had already started to board the plane when he was taken from the cockpit in handcuffs on suspicion of reporting for duty as a pilot while his level of alcohol was over the limit.
Three hundred people were on the 12-hour flight, which was scheduled to leave at 9.20pm but was delayed for nearly two hours while a replacement pilot was found. It eventually left at about 11pm.
The 49-year-old pleaded guilty after tests revealed he had 86mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood in his system – more than four times the 20mg limit for a pilot.
Monaghan, who worked for BA for 17 years, initially queried the results, but resigned two months after his arrest when further tests confirmed the samples were accurate.
Sentencing him at Lewes crown court on Tuesday, the judge Janet Waddicor said: “You took a risk and it didn’t pay off because you were caught. You are in charge of a huge aircraft. The safety, if not the lives, indeed, of passengers and crew members are in the hands of the pilot. They are entitled to feel that they are safe.”
Monaghan lowered his head as he was handed his sentence before being led to the cells while a woman in the public gallery blew him a kiss.
Monaghan insisted he obeyed by the airline’s eight-hour “bottle to throttle rule”, which forbids pilots from drinking for that period of time before going on duty, and claimed he “felt fine”
In a prepared statement given to police on his arrest, he said he drank a glass of wine on his overnight flight as a passenger from Cape Town to Heathrow while travelling to report for duty
Then, when he was in his hotel resting before his shift, he drank a “measure” of vodka with diet Pepsi at about 10.15am and nothing after. He had not eaten and barely slept.
In court, Emlyn Jones, defending, said Monaghan had since remembered drinking three miniature bottles of vodka – each of which are the equivalent to a double bar serving – which he could buy at a discount in a duty-free scheme available to airline staff.
Amy Packham, prosecuting, said the reading taken at 10.30pm remained so high that he must have drunk a “significant amount” just before the eight-hour limit.
Jones said Monaghan was shocked by his arrest and surprised by the readings, and his fall from grace had been very public and had caused huge embarrassment.
His teenage son had not spoken to him since and, due to a costly divorce a decade ago, he had no savings. He was hoping to find work in South Africa – where he was living – by re-training as a drone pilot to take pictures of homes for estate agents, the court heard.
Jones said Monaghan, who gave his address as care of his solicitors, had an “impressive career” after gaining his pilot licence before he was 20. His childhood dream was to be a pilot and he was “proud and delighted” to work for BA, where he was well-liked and trusted by colleagues.
But he had been “extremely stupid” and bitterly regretted his actions, and wanted to apologise to the court, the public, passengers and his family, Jones said.
He added: “He didn’t knowingly arrive at work over the limit. Certainly he will never fly as a commercial pilot again. He appears before your honour as a shadow of the man he once was. His career and livelihood and personal and professional reputation are all up in smoke.”
Jones said being four times the limit “sounds terrible” but there was no evidence his conduct caused direct harm, adding: “He was not falling down drunk, making mistakes, being rude, picking fights.”
This article was amended on 13 June 2018. The pilot was not “more than four times over the alcohol limit”, as we said. At 66mg over the 20mg limit, he was more than three times over the limit. He had more than four times the legal limit in his blood. This has been corrected.

Timmy Tomkins
14th Jun 2018, 09:27
We had a policy in my company which said, if you - the man/woman with an alcohol problem - seek help, the company will lean over backwards to help. Equally, if a colleague seeks help on your behalf the company will do the same. But if you come on duty over the limit the book will be thrown at you, unless you immediately admit the problem and are willing to accept help. There were a number of success stories - but you tend only to hear about those that are not successful.
When I was active in BALPA (some years ago) there was a discussion about this and in the US unions had negotiated a proper process to allow those with problems to seek help without punishment. It seems like a sensible way to go, otherwise there is pressure for someone to hide their problem.

I know a captain with a major airline who has worked successfully and with the knowledge of his employer that he is a "recovering alcoholic" -who btw has not had a drink in 25 years. Before that he was a closet drinker with all the issues that go with that and a sensible policy like that seems a win win all round.

MaximumPete
14th Jun 2018, 17:16
I lost my long-term partner to long term alcohol abuse which became chronic in the last couple of years. This was my friend, mentor, lover and best mate and been with for over twenty-five years, a lovely lady missed by many.

I beg anyone who does have an alcohol problem to get help before it takes your life and has a lasting impact on those around you.

You only get one life! You can get help and maybe make a career move. An alcohol problem won't go away by itself.

MP

AviatorDave
14th Jun 2018, 20:08
If it was a case of just careless drinking I would agree. If it is alcoholism then the individual is indeed an 'addict'.

It was only later that I learned it was not a case of just having had one too much, but indeed most likely an addiction problem. A sad story, and more so since he didn‘t get a chance to sort it out and come clean before the media got their hands on him, leaving his employer no chance other than firing him.

Daysleeper
14th Jun 2018, 21:00
To me it seems huge degree of hypocrisy over the likes of say pilots and train drivers being prosecuted or fired . Admittedly none of the people i listed can kill a couple of hundred people in a burning wreck but we have all read about over tired doctors making catastrophic mistakes, peoples lives wrecked by incorrect media reports, Who is to say someone hadn't had a few too many when signing of the spec on W London Tower block a few years ago. for example. Its hard to draw a line but I have felt that as a start any industry where some staff members are tested then everyone else has to be upto and including the CEO and in an era where people work very long hours more thought needs to be given to academic studies that show that most if not all human judgement and mental capacity is drastically reduced after 9-10 hours.

The Railway & Transport act was introduced in 2003. It didn't materialise out of thin air, every clause was written to solve some "issue" or another they thought society (that's you) was worried about. So if you don't like the law or think that a similar law should apply to others then I suggest you get busy; start a campaign group, lobby your MP, hell why not stand for parliament or donate a big enough wedge of cash to get someones manifesto to include the "Alcohol etc at work: editors, surgeons, MPs and others act 2019".

It is tragic that this has ended up this way but eight months seems in line with the sentences being handed around at the moment and remarkably consistent international sentencing considering different legal systems. Cases in the last year or so have results of Canada 8 months, Norway 6 months, Scotland 10 months.

Now for the positive. Drug and Alcohol treatment for pilots is fantastically effective and people who commit themselves to it recover to lead successful flying careers.

If you need help it is there.

Bergerie1
15th Jun 2018, 06:17
Further to my previous post, we had several pilots in my company who had been treated successfully for alcoholism and who continued their careers with distinction. When the management heard rumours that a pilot was suffering from a drinking problem one of the ploys was to manipulate the roster so that the successfuly treated pilot was teamed up with the suspect alcoholic without the suspect knowing that that had been done. This created the opportunity to discuss the company policy and how he/she could be helped. Sometimes there was a positive outcome.

ph-sbe
15th Jun 2018, 07:15
there is no simple test for fatigue/tiredness compared to that for drinking.

Mythbusters dedicated an episode to the "Deadliest Catch" TV show where crab fisherman in the Bering Sea work for days without sleep. In that particular scenario, they measured weather or not a 20-minute nap would improve performance in fatigued persons. If I recall correctly, it did.

They did tests while fully rested, while totally fatigued without any sleep, and while fatigued, but with 20 minute naps.

Ancient Mariner
15th Jun 2018, 13:15
Only people who's mother tongue is English will make the distinction between fatigue and tiredness. The rest of the world doesn't.
Really?
Per

GKOC41
16th Jun 2018, 05:30
Then you will no doubt be pleased to know that BA have already done exactly that over the last couple of months without seemingly finding a #canofworms to be opened, though they have promised they will be carrying out further audits of pre-duty travel in the future. Whether the particular case being discussed here was the catalyst for the very recent audit I do not know.

If you are genuinely concerned about the travelling, rest and fatigue culture at BA then I’ll point out that this summer BA are scheduling ( iaw the EASA rule set) a two pilot night flight out to the Gulf/16 hour daytime layover/two pilot night flight back to LHR. I’d suggest the fact BA are quite willing to produce rosters like that means they are perhaps not in a strong position to take the moral high ground about someone travelling to work as a passenger, sleeping quite possibly in a “comfy” seat, then having daytime rest in a hotel bed and then reporting for a duty as part of an augmented crew.

Wiggy
That's good to hear I wonder if other airlines will do the same. My point was that an AOC could unlikely roster what the Pilot did other examples might be position Europe or UK - LHR on the day, hang around a crew room for 3 hours, operate transatlantic day flight - is this any different or worse. I get your point on EASA but Pilots are there own worse enemies when it comes to commuting it's safe when crews do it of their own accord but not when the AOC roster it...

GKOC41
16th Jun 2018, 05:31
HH,

Scientists call tiredness sleepiness e.g. the need to sleep.

ShotOne
16th Jun 2018, 08:39
"...pilots are their own worst enemies". No. Flight duty rules which cause performance degradation equating to an alcohol level which would have ppruners in self-righteous conniptions are the enemy.

opnot
16th Jun 2018, 09:36
In the world of nats and possibly non nats units, atcos, engineers, and possibly assistants are subject to random alcohol and drugs test whilst on watch.Somebody from a company which nats uses appears unannounced at your unit and somebody is picked at random to be tested so you may not smell of alcohol but could be over the limit .Are aicrew subject to these random tests and as you cannot smell drugs has anyboby been caught or convicted of being under the influence of drugs whilst operating a aircraft

ShotOne
16th Jun 2018, 17:31
How come no testing for others in safety-critical roles? Medical staff for instance. If this had been a doctor or surgeon about to operate, nobody would have any right to impose an alcohol or any other test on him (unless he was driving a car) There would be no possibility of prosecution, very worst-case scenario would be being sent home.

VinRouge
17th Jun 2018, 13:27
"...pilots are their own worst enemies". No. Flight duty rules which cause performance degradation equating to an alcohol level which would have ppruners in self-righteous conniptions are the enemy.
That and living in South Africa when your hub is Heathrow. Personal responsibility perhaps, or indeed, approved and prescribed medication for body clock control that doesn't involve a bottle of grey goose?

hunterboy
17th Jun 2018, 13:30
Why can’t you live in ZA and be based at LHR? Next you will be telling us you can’t live in LA and be based in JFK. At least the ZA commuter arrives at work acclimatized. I think that speaks volumes more than the focus on alcohol and flying.

BusyB
17th Jun 2018, 14:39
A stupid comment from VinRouge. You could live 2hrs away and have been kept awake all night by sick kids and awake all day by school runs and chores. Who wouldn't prefer to rest in J class and watch films/sleep? You can live anywhere providing you allow enough time on arrival at your place of work. My employer was happy for me to do similar duties with time zone changes as well.

Pinkman
17th Jun 2018, 14:52
Why can’t you live in ZA and be based at LHR? Next you will be telling us you can’t live in LA and be based in JFK. At least the ZA commuter arrives at work acclimatized. I think that speaks volumes more than the focus on alcohol and flying.

This is why:
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/nyregion/14pilot.html

Members of the board said that the crew of the twin-engine turboprop that crashed, killing all 49 people on board and one on the ground, was set up for fatigue and inattention before they even took off, partly because of the structure of the commuter airline business.

In the crash, the first officer, Rebecca L. Shaw, 24, a Colgan employee for about a year, apparently pulled an all-nighter to get a free transcontinental trip to work. She was living near Seattle and commuting to her job at Colgan’s operation in Newark, according to board investigators. She flew from Seattle to Memphis in a spare seat on one FedEx jet, and to Newark on another, planning to sleep in a crew lounge, investigators said.

As flight crew you have a duty of care to be the best you possibly can be given the cards you are drawn and to arrive at work as rested and alert as possible. The schedules that you work to are stressful, fatiguing and in some cases insane, depending on who you work for, I acknowledge that. But don't make it worse than it needs to be.

topgas
17th Jun 2018, 16:31
If this had been a doctor or surgeon about to operate, nobody would have any right to impose an alcohol or any other test on him (unless he was driving a car) There would be no possibility of prosecution, very worst-case scenario would be being sent home.

I think not. As a minimum, local disciplinary action +/- referral for help with alcohol problems. Referral to the General Medical Council a strong possibility, leading to restrictions on practice or ultimately being struck off the Medical Register. BTW, a surgeon is a doctor.

RexBanner
17th Jun 2018, 17:20
This is why:
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/nyregion/14pilot.html

Commuting cannot explain why the Captain reacted incorrectly to a false stall warning (caused by the increased ref switch being on with no ice accumulation) by pulling back on the stick putting them into an actual stall, nor can it explain why the First Officer (who by the way turned up to work streaming with cold, a far more contributory factor in fitness to fly than where she lives) dumped all the flaps uncommanded and doomed the aircraft at the critical moment.

The simple fact fact is if you stopped all commuting tomorrow the entire aviation industry would grind to a halt. Where are all these flights falling out of the sky like Colgan because people use an aircraft rather than a car to transport themselves to work? The fact is you cannot prove the causality.

M.Mouse
17th Jun 2018, 19:08
There is also a difference between commuting on a JS long distances and napping in a crew lounge when compared with Business Class travel and a proper room and bed for pre-flight rest.

ShotOne
17th Jun 2018, 19:42
"Disciplinary, referral, struck off"?Firstly, there's no possibility of prosecution unless they were literally falling-over drunk. And how could a doctor be struck off, topgas on the strength of someone's subjective opinion?

hec7or
17th Jun 2018, 20:27
A stupid comment from VinRouge. You could live 2hrs away and have been kept awake all night by sick kids and awake all day by school runs and chores. Who wouldn't prefer to rest in J class and watch films/sleep? You can live anywhere providing you allow enough time on arrival at your place of work. My employer was happy for me to do similar duties with time zone changes as well.

Er... because -the kids behaviour is outside your control and you have Flight Time Limitation legislation and a possible fatigue report on your side, but your commuting pattern, which is your own responsibility is self induced fatigue, like spending the weekend at Glastonbury and going to work tired having not slept for 3 nights. d'oh!

Rated De
17th Jun 2018, 22:02
But my last company saw it as a health problem and paid for the pilot to attend an institute like the priory then give them a useful job on the ground for a year or so on full pay. They were reintroduced back on the line. Always with company medical back up over an extended period.
Maybe BA has changed and had already done this.. if not they should look at their welfare policies.

When one removes the headline there is a human story.
It is conveniently ignored by airline management that circadian rhythm disturbance has health effects. Sure open any policy manual and there is a myriad of verbage 'directed' at this, but ultimately weasel words mean little.

BA roster as close, like many airlines do to the regulatory limits. To do so is deemed efficient and provided the pilot gets the requisite statutory 'rest' period, the sleep disturbance is dismissed as something that the pilot is responsible for.
Thus stories like this are complicated. This individual has sufficient experience of aviation to be fully cognisant of their responsibility, but something clouded that awareness.

Extended sleep disturbances as mentioned by a previous poster can render the most hardy of souls useless. Dare we mention that sleep deprivation is a big part of breaking down 'terrorists'. It often is far more effective than anything else.

As a society it is easy to point the finger, blame the individual and dismiss any further consideration. Nothing excuses him, he knows that likely better than anyone else.

As a society, if that's what it still is, perhaps it is time to look at this as a complicated problem. For a while an alcohol problem can be a little socially awkward, but like any drug, can eventually render the user chemically dependent. At what point our society accepts this and medical assistance and support are seen as generating better outcomes will be a sign of maturity. Incarceration by a beak in Crawley is unlikely to help. Crawley Magistrates court is a glum building on the sunniest of days.