PDA

View Full Version : Venice (LIPZ) Vicenza departures?

Landing_24R
25th Jul 2002, 07:11
Yesterday, I flew (GO 184) from Venice to Stansted, but something puzzled me about the flight, I'm just wondering if anyone can help demystify the situation for me :)

We left Venice on 04R, to the east as is (I believe) the norm. After departure, we climbed straight ahead, and I was fully expecting a left turn to comply with the Vicenza SID, as we have always done before when flying out of Venice. However, instead we turned 180 degrees right, to head south west, over Cavallino and Venice, then another 90 degrees right to head out to the north west to the west of the airfield. A little research shows that this might have been a Chioggia departure- certainly more long winded and in completely the wrong direction, to my (untrained) eye. The Captain did mention in her PA that we had a tight ATC resriction- could it have been a reroute because we missed that slot and the Chioggia route was less congested or something?

I was just wondering if the Vicenza SIDs were closed for some reason, or perhaps there was an air display event going on or something. I know it's a long shot, but if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

PS. The new Venice terminal is now open- it's extremely swish, although sadly the price of flying with Go is that we didn't get to use the fancy new airbridges- it was the coach again I'm afraid.

Doors to Automatic
25th Jul 2002, 14:50
I'm no expert but yesterday's lightning history shows an enormous amount of activity in the Venice Area (see
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/eurobli.htm) around the time of your departure.

I suspect a possible reason could have been to avoid thunderstorm cells located on the path of the original SID. No doubt someone can confirm?

Landing_24R
25th Jul 2002, 14:55
Doors to Automatic

Thanks for that. We left at about 10:30 am.. there's a lot of activity later on but nothing at all at that time. It was a bit hazy but otherwise the weather was good, no rain or CBs or anything like that.

Thanks
24R

Doors to Automatic
25th Jul 2002, 15:06
You're right - I was looking at an old schedule which had the 184 departing around 1700! At 1100 there was no activity to be seen so I'm afraid I'm at a loss!

Lord Fulmer
27th Jul 2002, 11:10
Was in Venice yesterday, and yes we too did the righthand departure over the top of Venice. What a view at 5000'!

If my memory serves me right it is the VIC 6Y departure, and in common with a lot of Italian ATC departures, is just down to luck as to which one you get on the day.

Unlike most UK airports you only find out the clearance on the way to the hold so a lot of knob twiddling can ensue. As to the reason for this secrecy as to the SIDS, I can't help , but it may be due to the proximity of Treviso to the north and the military stuff.

Pegasus77
27th Jul 2002, 11:23
In Venice there are several different VIC-SIDs, normally you would fly the VIC5V-departure, because it is shortest. My guess is you flew the VIC6Y-departure, which takes you out with a right turn to a track of 164 degrees, and then another right turn to a track of 203 degrees, and then direct to VIC-VOR.
There are two other VIC-departures which take you out even further south.
There could be several reasons why ATC ordered the other departure. An example might be an active military zone, or maybe a lot of traffic in the Treviso CTR, which lies north of Tessera.

P77

Pegasus77
27th Jul 2002, 11:25
Pff after typing for a few minutes and taking out the Venice-charts, it seems Lord Fulmer had exactly the same thought as I did :D

Landing_24R
27th Jul 2002, 16:35
Lord Fulmer/Pegasus,

Thanks for that- I've been to Venice many times, and every time I've been we've departed to the east and turned left out over the countryside- it certainly did make a nice change to see a bit of the city, especially the beaches at the end of the lagoon, although it was a shock to turn right- I thought for a second we were returning for something! The view's great when you're sat on the right hand side on approach to 04R as well, although it always seems to be hazy whenever I fly in!

Thanks again for your help,
Landing_24R