PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight license in the USA & UK

case106
4th Jun 2018, 06:44
Does anybody know if a specific license is needed to fly ultralight airplanes in the USA?

Does anybody know if I can fly in the UK with my ultralight italian license? I mean, flying ultralights.

Thanks.
Nuccio
Italy

chevvron
4th Jun 2018, 13:07
As far as I'm aware, you do not require any training or license to fly an aircraft which meets the US definition of an 'ultralight' in the USA.
Just try to get insurance though.:ugh:
If you don't and you cause some damage, they won't be reluctant to sue you.

Silvaire1
4th Jun 2018, 14:20
Since the OP is posting from Italy, I'll assume that the intended defintion of Ultralight is the Italian defintion, which is roughly equivalent to Light Sport in the US. Answering the question on that basis, the FAA Light Sport certificate is essentialy a slimmed down private pilot certificate, not unlike the situation in Italy except that the certificate is government issued and flying into tower controlled airports is OK. The Light Sport certificate has not proven to be popular in the US, it's not much more effort to get the Private.

Ultralights by the US defintion are something different, aircraft under a very low weight limit (254 lbs = 115 Kg) which are essentially unregulated in the US, no pilot certificate or aircraft registration required.

case106
4th Jun 2018, 14:20
As far as I'm aware, you do not require any training or license to fly an aircraft which meets the US definition of an 'ultralight' in the USA.
Just try to get insurance though.:ugh:
If you don't and you cause some damage, they won't be reluctant to sue you.

Very much appreciated advise!

case106
4th Jun 2018, 14:28
Since the OP is posting from Italy, I'll assume that the intended defintion of Ultralight is the Italian defintion, which is roughly equivalent to Light Sport in the US. Answering the question on that basis, the FAA Light Sport certificate is essentialy a slimmed down private pilot certificate, not unlike the situation in Italy except that the certificate is government issued and flying into tower controlled airports is OK. The Light Sport certificate has not proven to be popular in the US, it's not much more effort to get the Private.

Ultralights by the US defintion are something different, aircraft under a very low weight limit (254 lbs = 115 Kg) which are essentially unregulated in the US, no pilot certificate or aircraft registration required.

we have, here in Italy, two categories of ultralight licenses: the basic which do not allow to enter controlled airspaces and the advanced with which you can enter controlled airspaces and communicate with flight controllers.
To get both you have to pass an examination
Thanks

Jan Olieslagers
4th Jun 2018, 18:22
Agreeing with the previous, I'd like to point out that EASA, though owning the definition of the various categories of aeroplanes including ultralights, does not do anything about regulating them nor their pilots. This makes all ultralight regulation in European countries a matter of national ruling. Most countries accept each others' ultralights and the associated pilot licenses - I fly my Belgian registered ultralight with a Belgian license, and can freely enter most other European countries and their skies quite legally. But whether one can fly - say - a UK-registered ultralight with a foreign license is quite a different matter, I have no idea there. Best consult the LAA?

BTW for unclear reasons, the Brits use the term "microlight" for the type of aeroplane that almost all the rest of the world calls an "ultralight" or a local variation - "ultra-ligero" in Spain &c. Still more confusingly, the Dutch follow suit, using the term "MLA" with the ML standing for Micro Light. Perhaps that's to confuse the enemy ;)

patowalker
4th Jun 2018, 18:32
If your ultralight is factory built, you need permission, which costs £64. If it is amateur built, you do not need permission and therfore there is no cost involved.

https://apply.caa.co.uk/CAAPortal/terms-and-conditions.htm?formCode=aea

chevvron
4th Jun 2018, 18:38
BTW for unclear reasons, the Brits use the term "microlight" for the type of aeroplane that almost all the rest of the world calls an "ultralight" or a local variation - "ultra-ligero" in Spain &c. Still more confusingly, the Dutch follow suit, using the term "MLA" with the ML standing for Micro Light. Perhaps that's to confuse the enemy ;)
Not unclear at all.
Many years ago (1946) the 'Ultra Light Aircraft Association' was formed to oversee the operation of 'ultra light' aircraft in the UK, an ultralight aircraft being defined as an amateur built aircraft operating on a Permit to Fly rather than C of A with a maximum weight of (I think) 1,000lb and no minimum wing loading. The ULAA became the PFA in 1949 and is now the LAA.
Meantime the Americans developed even lighter aircraft with a minimum wing loading so to avoid confusion, the term 'microlight' was adopted for use in the UK.

Jan Olieslagers
4th Jun 2018, 19:23
Thanks for a lesson in history, it had to be something like that. And if you drive on the - ahem - unright side of the road, it is because William the Conqueror landed his ship on the port side in 1066, or because of some preference of Henry VIII in Anna Boleyn's bed? :)

Jan Olieslagers
4th Jun 2018, 19:33
we have, here in Italy, two categories of ultralight licenses: the basic which do not allow to enter controlled airspaces and the advanced with which you can enter controlled airspaces and communicate with flight controllers.

Yes, and it might be quite a good idea. Still, to my knowledge Italy is the only country with such a ruling. In Germany, ultralights are allowed in controlled airspace, and it is not uncommon for one to turn up at the smaller international airports such as Hamburg or Leipzig. In Belgium OTOH controlled airspace is basically closed to ultralights. It really is a matter of country per country, and I think no two are totally the same. But of all European countries, Italy is the only one I know to have two categories of UL license.

chevvron
4th Jun 2018, 21:52
Used to be 2 grades of PPL(M) in the UK;
'Unrestricted' required a minimum of 25 hours instruction and allowed you to fly cross country and carry passengers..
'Restricted' only required 18 hours instruction but you were only allowed max 8km from your home airfield and could not carry passengers.

case106
5th Jun 2018, 04:49
If your ultralight is factory built, you need permission, which costs £64. If it is amateur built, you do not need permission and therfore there is no cost involved.

do you know how long this permission lasts?

patowalker
5th Jun 2018, 05:46
https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Aircraft/Airworthiness/Exemptions/Foreign-exemptions/Apply-for-an-exemption/

The exemption can be valid for up to 28 days in any 12 month period.

This may be a single block of 28 days or split into smaller periods.

If you need an exemption for more than 28 days submit an application including justification and we will review your case.

case106
5th Jun 2018, 06:18
https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Aircraft/Airworthiness/Exemptions/Foreign-exemptions/Apply-for-an-exemption/

The exemption can be valid for up to 28 days in any 12 month period.

This may be a single block of 28 days or split into smaller periods.

If you need an exemption for more than 28 days submit an application including justification and we will review your case.

Thanks very much :ok: