PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic landing at Stanstead [apparently]

glad rag
3rd Jun 2018, 19:22
Any updates on the reverse thrust deployment prior to wheels on landing being reported?

-RO66a_nvus

3wheels
3rd Jun 2018, 19:35
Oh get a life....at the most 1 second...look at the time bar of the video.
And learn to spell Stansted too.

172_driver
3rd Jun 2018, 19:42
Can be done from 10 ft RA. Shouldn't be done.. but well, I guess someone got desperate to get it down...

Council Van
3rd Jun 2018, 19:49
Catch up, this was ages ago, the video was posted to YouTube on the 26th February 2017.

If you visit YouTube you will find the comments of 830 armchair experts who are only to happy to give their updates and opinions. Enjoy!

Pugilistic Animus
3rd Jun 2018, 20:10
As to the videotape WTF!?

A DC8 could deploy it's inner reversers as speed brakes but I have, unfortunately, never flown a DC8

Airbubba
3rd Jun 2018, 21:30
Years ago I was riding on a USAir jumpseat. The CLT crew told me of an unapproved Piedmont short field landing 'technique' in the 737-200 where you would pull the throttles to idle in the flare and pull up and back on the reverser levers. As soon as you had weight on the wheels the reversers would unlock and spool up without delay to slow you down in a hurry. Those new-fangled -300's arrived and the crews were given differences training. Yep, they tried the short field landing technique on the new plane and the reversers popped at 10 feet RA and put wrinkles in the fuselage.

I'm thinking I've seen some similar homemade technique with the speedbrake where you pull the lever before touchdown and let the squat switch deploy the ground spoilers on old planes without autospoilers.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Jun 2018, 21:38
Methinks the originator needs to get out a bit!

hr2pilot
3rd Jun 2018, 22:30
Pardon my ignorance (never flew the '37), but isn't groundshift or wheelspin required activation? I can see some Swiss cheese holes lining up here.

This video kindles a memory of the 42 souls who perished when a 737 go-around took place with activated reverse that did not stow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Western_Airlines_Flight_314

172_driver
3rd Jun 2018, 22:44
hr2p,

No groundshift needed. Just 10 ft or less on the radio altimeter.

Old Boeing Driver
3rd Jun 2018, 22:57
hr2p,

I believe on the -200 (which are few these days), weight on wheels, 25 kts of wheel spin up, and thrust levers at idle were all required in order to get the buckets open.

hr2pilot
3rd Jun 2018, 23:19
hr2p,

Well, that explains it....thanks. Did not know that.

And I do remember using max continuous reverse on numbers 2 and 3 airborne on the DC8 to get down fast. Drop the gear and you could put the outboards in reverse too....boy, did that plane shake and rattle and when you did that...kind of scary to think about it now!

Shows you how old I am.

Airbubba
3rd Jun 2018, 23:28
And I do remember using max continuous reverse on numbers 2 and 3 airborne on the DC8 to get down fast. Drop the gear and you could put the outboards in reverse too....boy, did that plane shake and rattle and when you did that...kind of scary to think about it now!

And it seems like with the gear down you could only do idle reverse on the outboards, at least with the CFM's. And yes, it was scary. :eek:

Pugilistic Animus
4th Jun 2018, 00:34
Ah I seemed to have made an error...outboards on the DC8