PDA

View Full Version : USA TSA "Pre".

Hartington
30th May 2018, 19:26
I was under the impression that TSA Pre check was something I had to apply for, attend a screening centre etc.

Last night, coming home from Nashville on the new (ish) BA non-stop my boarding pass said I could use the pre channel. I was travelling in Club World.

My assumption is that BA have some kind of deal with the TSA at Nashville for Club (and maybe Gold cards?) but it feels like that devalues the idea of Pre. I can't see the TSA letting all Club passengers through Pre so does that mean I've been quietly "vetted"?

My last trip home from the US in Club was from San Francisco 18 months ago and I didn't get Pre on that occasion.

obgraham
30th May 2018, 19:37
The airlines can grant precheck to certain groups of ticketholders at their discretion, and change that at will. Lots of them give it to buisness class or to gold card members.

And they can choose to participate with precheck or not -- BA does not participate with precheck at PHX, even if the passenger holds precheck status.

Hartington
31st May 2018, 06:50
How interesting, thank you obgraham.

RevMan2
31st May 2018, 14:54
Identical experience when flying with LH business class from BOS/LAX/SEA. Although in Terminal E at Logan, there’s no dedicated Pre lane (due to “lack of demand”) despite virtually all carriers participating in the program. Go figure...

B2N2
31st May 2018, 15:00
I can't see the TSA letting all Club passengers through Pre so does that mean I've been quietly "vetted"?

Yes........

Heathrow Harry
31st May 2018, 15:55
Yes........

Having been "persilled" (Persil washes whiter...) a few times I was never asked in advance but I beleive it was a reasonable precaution.........

SeenItAll
31st May 2018, 17:50
Getting TSA Pre via the airline is different from getting it directly from the TSA. The latter requires a particular vetting. But airlines are allowed to grant it to flyers they know well (i.e., ones with high frequent flyer status). It is not related to the cabin you are booked into.

Hartington
31st May 2018, 18:09
SeenItAll..... I'm only Blue on BA! That said, I am a loyal BA user when I do fly so, yes, they probably know me quite well (but these days only every 9 months or so- hence Blue never more than Silver). I suspect the US Authorities also know me pretty well - I had my first visa something like 40 years ago.

Here's another thought. One of my sons works in an environment which means he has had to have UK positive vetting and he travels on a US visa (yes, visa, not ESTA) which allows him through the US lane on arrival rather than having to queue like me. I've sometimes wondered how much probing "they" did on my wife and I and our family when he was vetted. Yes, I know, paranoia rules!

liteswap
31st May 2018, 22:51
I was under the impression that TSA Pre check was something I had to apply for, attend a screening centre etc.

Last night, coming home from Nashville on the new (ish) BA non-stop my boarding pass said I could use the pre channel. I was travelling in Club World.

My assumption is that BA have some kind of deal with the TSA at Nashville for Club (and maybe Gold cards?) but it feels like that devalues the idea of Pre. I can't see the TSA letting all Club passengers through Pre so does that mean I've been quietly "vetted"?

My last trip home from the US in Club was from San Francisco 18 months ago and I didn't get Pre on that occasion.

Same thing happened to me coming back from SFO-LHR on Sunday last in BA's World Traveller Plus. It felt like redemption after a SSSS search on the way in...

tdracer
1st Jun 2018, 04:37
It is not related to the cabin you are booked into.
Not sure about that part. I've been Medallion on Delta for over 10 years (at least silver, several years gold). Sometimes I get pre check, sometimes not, but it's near 100% when I'm in business/first, less than half when I'm in coach.
The real surprise (this was a few years ago) - I was traveling with my wife. Booked together on the same ticket, I'm Gold Medallion, she's only got a handful of miles on Delta. She's also a resident alien (Green Card), from a predominately Muslim country (although she's Christian). She got pre-check, I didn't :uhoh:

BassoRider
2nd Jun 2018, 01:49
I'm not so sure if FF status is that important. As an occasional flyer who can't be bothered with FF programs (such as they are these days) I have had my boarding pass marked TSA pre a few times, most recently on a coach LH flight EWR-FRA. To be honest, it didn't appear to make a big difference in the time it took for screening at EWR. One story I've heard is that the government agency in charge of TSA pre is disappointed in the number of people signing up for the full monty, so they are basically giving out free samples, hoping you will join.

Mike Echo
2nd Jun 2018, 13:47
Just curious about what Harlington said. I also have a US Visa and once at Fort Lauderdale in a massive queue at immigration the US resident lane emptied very quickly, they then went along our line asking for anybody with US Visa's, pulled us out and we were very quickly through a scanner and into the baggage hall.
Anybody come across anything written about this or is it just when they feel like it?

BAengineer
2nd Jun 2018, 14:18
I have been ushered through TSA pre several times when there is no queue and that was on normal economy tickets. I must just look honest.. ;)

Heathrow Harry
2nd Jun 2018, 17:26
Just curious about what Harlington said. I also have a US Visa and once at Fort Lauderdale in a massive queue at immigration the US resident lane emptied very quickly, they then went along our line asking for anybody with US Visa's, pulled us out and we were very quickly through a scanner and into the baggage hall.
Anybody come across anything written about this or is it just when they feel like it?

Seen it done a few times but I think it's up to the Officer in Charge of the shift at the time - basically the whole team stay busy rather than half a dozen loafing around waiting for a US citizen which I'd have thought has to be better for team morale

TBH I've seen it elsewhere outside the USA as well

lomapaseo
3rd Jun 2018, 01:25
The idea is that security checks should be un-predictable to you even though based on some data to the agencies involved.

Try being unsucesfullin taking a loaded gun through and your future TSA checks will be more predictable

Heathrow Harry
3rd Jun 2018, 09:38
The idea is that security checks should be un-predictable to you even though based on some data to the agencies involved.

Try being unsuccessful taking a loaded gun through and your future TSA checks will be more predictable

ZERO - at least in the UK you'll be doing 5 years in a "closed environment"

longer ron
22nd Jun 2018, 20:26
Sorry late reply but we have just got back from a 3 week holiday (vacation) in the states.
We were very kindly given 'pre' TSA by the check in lady and joined a very short and quick line through the check area.
We must look as honest as BAengineer as we were also flying cattle class :)