PDA

View Full Version : LFPG STAR Restrictions

FoxHunter
24th Jul 2002, 20:56
As an example DPE 3A LDG 27L has DPE MAX IAS 280 KT at FL240, CRL 43 DME At FL150, MERUE at FL110 MAX 250 KT. ATC(London) gives a decent clearance FL240 20 Miles prior to DPE. That takes care of the altitude restriction. Paris gives the DPE 3A. The FMS data base has the 280 KT restriction in the STAR, but not the altitude restriction. Paris says "cleared to FL110" after we pass DPE. The 43 DME data base fix in the FMS does not have a Flight Level restriction, but the Jepp STAR page does. The FMS then has both FL110 and 250 KIAS at MERUE.

I understand, I think that the 280 KIAS restriction is in force unless cleared otherwise. On a normal descent profile in order to cross MERUE FL110@250KIAS we will cross the 43 DME of CRL very close to FL150. +-100' When Paris clears us to FL110 is ATC looking for 43 DME CRL@FL150 as a hard altitude? Will they state the restriction if the restriction is in force? The Jepp STAR has a "CAUTION - Actual descent clearance will be given by ATC" My guess is that they want us down at that 43 DME of CRL in order to get us below departures going north. :confused:

Direct HALIFAX
24th Jul 2002, 20:59
Sounds complicated - just ask ATC what they want.

Hand Solo
25th Jul 2002, 14:55
I fly the DPE3W with drudging relentlessness and find the DPE and MERUE restrictions are generally the ones Paris are most interested in. 280KIAS at DPE tends to be enforced when they are particularly busy though they'll often specify other speeds. The FL240 restriction applies 99 times out of 100. Restrictions at CRL43 are a bit looser, I've been higher due to late descent clearances so there doesn't seem to be a great problem with northbound departures in that area. The 250KIAS restriction at MERUE normally applies, you can usually keep high speed if they're not too busy but they'll slow you down to 220KIAS on the way in to CRL. I have occasionally been higher than FL110 at MERUE, again due to late clearances, but that doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. However being low at MERUE would be a very bad idea as the northbound departures are at FL100 directly beneath you! As the above poster says, if in doubt just ask. Contrary to popular opinion the French are actually quite good!

Hope that helps a bit, now all we've got to do is reduce the constant :

"Say again for NWA10.........

....NWA10 was that for us?.....

....errr NWA10 how d'ya spell that?.."

that accompanies the transatlantic rush-hour!:p

5milesbaby
26th Jul 2002, 23:27
Its amazing how, as a SFD sector controller, I had no idea of the speed restrictions at DPE. Shows how much 'its not IN my bit' comes into play.

If these restrictions were in London airspace I would assume all pilots are expecting the level restrictions, but will always enforce them to be sure, as if I don't, non-compliance is permittable. Speed restrictions however are only cancelled by a direct ATC instruction to do so.(assuming Class A anyway) I would check the technical bits inside French aviation law as to how concrete the SID/STAR plates are, but asking never hurt anyone, and can sometimes work in your favour :D :D