PDA

View Full Version : EASA or FAA CPL(H)

JackJones
16th May 2018, 11:04
Before I get bashed for not searching, or dredging up same old, same old questions; I have searched PPRUNE, EASA & FAA websites, UK CAA & Google, and can find no real definitive answer to what I am trying to ascertain.

So the score currently, I currently have a PPL(H) with more than enough hours to start a CPL flying course, have added more to my licence than the usual R22, so now have another 3 airframes including turbine helicopters on my licence, and ultimately unsure what my next move ought to be.

Has anyone on here any experience of using an EASA PPL to go and get either a TCAA CPL or FAA CPL, then changing it back to an EASA CPL once gained - or is this just making life extremely difficult for myself?

Ultimately I do want to get my EASA CPL (or whatever we will call it after Brexit), and I do want to fly for a living, but I also want to do it in the most cost effective manner possible.

Can anyone add any constructive advice?

Bravo73
16th May 2018, 13:03
My advice would be to do your training in whatever country/aviation authority that you think that you will end up working in.

If you’ve got a right to work in the USA (and intend living there), get an FAA licence. If you’ve got a European passport but only speak English, I would do your training in the UK. If you speak a European language, consider training in France/Italy/Germany etc* (*delete where applicable).

It might cost you slightly more initially but it will be worth it in the medium to long term. A commercial licence is more than just a piece of paper. Not only will you be more familiar with your future working environment, but your network for future jobs will also be much more developed.

paco
16th May 2018, 13:21
Yeah, if you don't need EASA, don't do it....

Sir Korsky
16th May 2018, 13:42
Join the Navy

JackJones
16th May 2018, 13:43
Yeah, if you don't need EASA, don't do it....

Sorry to say that I live here in the UK, so EASA is unavoidable Phil! Unless you can educate me otherwise?

JackJones
16th May 2018, 13:45
Join the Navy

Already left the military back in the naughties as a non flying trade, old Lizzie didn't want me as one of her two wing master race at the time as my face didn't fit!

Agile
17th May 2018, 00:24
Nobody mentioned the different training standard yet? getting you FAA CPL(H) is really a "license to learn" and figure out the rest on your own. EASA teach you much more proficiency. things like, down wind quick stop, 360 autos, all tail rotor failure scenarios, much greater confidence will come you out of EASA training, In the end nothing replace flying hours to get you better, Cost wise, USA is the place that will allow you to maximize that, weather wise Florida is the place that will allow you to maximize that,

r22butters
17th May 2018, 17:29
Nobody mentioned the different training standard yet? getting you FAA CPL(H) is really a "license to learn" and figure out the rest on your own. EASA teach you much more proficiency. things like, down wind quick stop, 360 autos, all tail rotor failure scenarios, much greater confidence will come you out of EASA training, In the end nothing replace flying hours to get you better, Cost wise, USA is the place that will allow you to maximize that, weather wise Florida is the place that will allow you to maximize that,

Huh, I did down wind quick stops during my FAA private training, and 360 autos I got to do at the Robinson course (along with pedal turns and autoing sideways/backwards, etc.) also had a cfi show me stuck pedal recovery when I was still under 100 hours,...big deal!

Anyway, you got it wrong, here in the States its the cfi rating that is the "license to learn", our cpl?

...all that'll get you is a cup of coffee at Starbucks,...well after you pay them six bucks! :8

whoknows idont
17th May 2018, 18:44
Butters, I read post #8 during my first coffee this morning and I absolutely knew in my heart you where going to be #9 and jump at that post. You are getting far to predictable, buddy... ;)

r22butters
17th May 2018, 21:46
Yeah,

,...I really need a hobby. :(