PDA

View Full Version : Why is it called "The jet"

doubleu-anker
24th Jul 2002, 11:25
Often hear A/C referred to as "the jet", especially when in the company of military types. Is there any reason for this?

Never heard anyone one refer to a PA 28 as "the piston"

BAW463
24th Jul 2002, 11:30
Well, I don't think that anyone with any knowledge of aircraft types would call a PA-28 a jet. Maybe they're just being ironic (or just stupid):D

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Jul 2002, 14:23
I'm not sure I understand - where have you heard this terminology? I know the RAF used to be very touchy about naming types of a/c and would refer to "twin jets", or similar. It used to get right up their noses when I'd go back and ask if they meant XXX (type)!!!

cargosales
24th Jul 2002, 15:49
HD: I'm sure D-A means the term being used face to face, not on the radio.

D-A: Heard it many times myself, although almost always in a military context. It's used simply instead of saying 'aircraft' It may have it's origins among (fast) jet aircrew trying to sound flash around their 'lesser' colleagues flying props. Not really sure though but it has been in use in the military for at least 25 years. Can anyone older than me add to that?

Maybe try posing the question on the military forum?

McD
24th Jul 2002, 15:53
Names, nicknames, and terminology evolve for a variety of reasons. Here's a simple (although not necessarily completely definitive) explanation for the use of "jets" among military folks:

Most military pilots do their initial training in jet-engine-powered aircraft. The training itself lasts at least a year, and they may spend much longer, possibly their entire careers on these aircraft.

The simple fact is that the word "jet" is shorter than "aeroplane" or "aircraft", and it describes the particular aircraft that these pilots fly, so it's evolved as a suitable replacement. In fact, one might argue that "jet" is more descriptive, because it brings to mind a more-specific type of aircraft.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Jul 2002, 16:37
Got it... thanks. It's just like when I used to drive a Reliant Robin I always used to refer to it as "The Limousine" to be really poncy and pull the birds. Same difference really, isn't it?

Flap 5
25th Jul 2002, 11:30
HD I reckon the only 'birds' you would pull in a Reliant Robin were the feathered kind who would make a right mess all over it - not that you would notice with a Reliant! (Just a thought - maybe that is why they were called Robin's?)

Basil
25th Jul 2002, 23:26
It's just fighter jocks sounding flash.
Trust me - I'm an ex Argosy pilot! :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Jul 2002, 06:54
Flap 5 - nice one mate! LOL