PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed instructor

simmple
6th May 2018, 09:32
I am now in a position where I can give up this airline rat race within the next few months and would like to get back into instructing.
Before I try and get any sense out of the U.K. CAA I hope someone on these forums can point me in the right direction.
I used to teach and examine on single and multi but that was roughly 20 years ago.
what would I need to do to revalidate everything?
Thanks in advance.

BizJetJock
6th May 2018, 10:36
I did the same last year. Pretty straightforward, really.

For the SEP & MEP it's training as required then pass an LPC. In my case the school assessed me as requiring zero training for SEP so I just did the test. I did one training flight for MEP, largely because I hadn't flown a DA42 before and I also combined it with a practice for the single pilot IR renewal.

For the FI you need to attend a standard refresher seminar and pass an Assessment of Competence. Again, I just leapt straight in and managed to scrape through. A couple of comments about how some things have changed, but no issues.

For the examiner authority they will want you to do the standardisation course and then pass the AoC as if for initial issue. I held just about every examiner authority it was possible to without being a staff examiner under the old system, and am a current multi-pilot TRE but still got zero credit.

It is nice to be back to pottering around on a nice day enjoying the view!

KeepCalm
6th May 2018, 23:28
Hi
For the SEP & MEP it's training as required then pass an LPC.
Don't mean to critize the UK CAA but as per EASA a SEP or MEP rating lapsed more than 3 years requires training as per initial issue (6h dual + checkride).
Wanted to mention as a heads up to anyone with a licence issued in another country. When sending the paperwork to the respective CAA it may be rejected. I was in a similar situation with my MEP and IR and I ended up doing it at "home".

By the way, I'm pleased some seasoned aviators find their way back into "basic" flight instruction. You are certainly needed, not just by the student pilots, but also by the often overlooked junior FIs.

Duchess_Driver
7th May 2018, 06:26
Being pedantic, you are correct with that is what is recommended but the HT making the assessments may NOT must use those guidelines. Once the assessment is made I have also done less than the assessment and attached a note to the Course completion to say the required standard has been met.

MrAverage
7th May 2018, 06:37
Whereabouts in the UK are you located Simmple?

Whopity
7th May 2018, 08:36
but as per EASA a SEP or MEP rating lapsed more than 3 years requires training as per initial issue (6h dual + checkride). But that is NOT a definitative requirement and needs to be read in conjunction with the preceeding text.
AMC1 FCL.740(b)(1) The objective of the training is to reach
the level of proficiency necessary to safely operate the relevant type or class of aircraft.
The amount of refresher training needed should be determined on a case-by-case basis
by the ATO, taking into account the following factors:

S-Works
7th May 2018, 09:49
You have to be very careful with the training as required bit. Only the U.K. are pragmatic enough to actually allow the HoT to assess and define a training requirement. I deal with a large number of non U.K. NAA and get no end of problems with the. Rejecting applications. Spain are the worst of the lot and will often insist on the rating being repeated. Even for SEP I have had them try and define minimum training.

KeepCalm
7th May 2018, 20:27
Whopity, thanks for your answer. It was some time since I last read it and didn't remember the "previous paragraph" you quoted.
Nevertheless some authorities won't accept it anyway, unfortunately, as bose-x says.
I wanted to give a heads up, as I said I was in that situation and had I done "training as required" I would have had to repeat it.

Whopity
7th May 2018, 20:53
Another example of EASA failing to meet its fundamental objectives of providing a level playing field!

simmple
7th May 2018, 21:15
Thanks for all posts.
i am in the midlands and enjoyed my previous life as an instructor and only gave it up as needed to earn some cash and eat.
i did it for about 10 years and had about all the qualifications apart from instructors instructor
my life in the airlines was great until the bean counters etc took over and I really can’t wait to get out now.
if the cost and time isn’t too onerous I will get back into proper flying, it’s not a wages thing, I know it’s a bit cliche but the love of flying and giving something back plus the fun.
i really hope the authorities and cost make my transition simple.

KeepCalm
9th May 2018, 00:19
Another example of EASA failing to meet its fundamental objectives of providing a level playing field!
Couldn't agree more.