PDA

View Full Version : Scottish flight schools

Stuart828
5th May 2018, 19:43
Hello all

Mindful that this may be a well-trodden question so apologies up front. I'm 45, frustrated pilot , actually looked at changing my career early 30s but costs, cashflow and kids drew a line under that. I'm now in a position to commit to my ppl. I'm looking for good flying school in central Scotland . Recommendations are are welcome but I would like to understand what questions I should be asking the schools to get a feel for whom best I should run with. Cost is a consideration but I've been looking forward to this for 40 years so I want to enjoy the learning experience. Thanks for any input. Stuart

Forfoxake
6th May 2018, 10:47
Suggest you have a look at the thread just started by stevensanph. I suspect it will cover most if what you want to know.

However, rule number one IMHO is never, and I mean never, pay for anything in aviation in advance.

Your quest to enjoy the learning experience is great., and my second top tip is that you will learn lots of things about flying for free by simply talking and listening to other pilots (for example on the inevitable days at the clubhouse when you cannot fly).

HighlandPilot97
6th May 2018, 11:37
Stuart,

I did my PPL last summer at Perth Airport. It was great as it's all uncontrolled airspace to the north of the field, and also very scenic when flying as you're only 10 minutes from the likes of Dunked and Pitlochry. The wait time on the ground is also short as the airfield is not controlled, but have very professional A/G operators on the other end of the radio, making life easy when flying into the likes of Dundee for your XC legs.

Aircraft wise they carry out PPL training on either C152 or PA28-161. All are very nice, I've flown them all and still do on a weekly basis. Most of them are fully refurbished and have new engines. The instructors are brilliant, I flew with Andrew MacMillen, an older guy who has instructed all over the world. He owns a C172 which you'll regularly end up flying after hours with Andrew after lessons! The availability is great.

The Scottish Aero Club is also based at Perth and membership is compulsory when training with ACS. This means you have full access to their clubhouse where you meet a lot of people with invaluable knowledge to help you through your flight training. You're also welcome to all their talks and events. Sometimes you even get offered a flight!

All in I was around £8500, this included 49 hours of training (4 over the minimum), all ground school, books, medical etc. Give them a call and they'll happily show you around. That's what I did.

Other central schools include Tayside at Dundee which I know little about and Cumbernauld which is now also run by ACS.

Happy Flying and good luck!

NorthSouth
7th May 2018, 07:07
Tayside also operates at Fife (Glenrothes)

RomeoTango89
8th May 2018, 20:01
Stuart,

In central Scotland, your choices are pretty much twofold - ACS or Tayside. ACS operating out of Perth & Cumbernauld, Tayside at Dundee and Glenrothes as NorthSouth as mentioned. I have had flight training at both and ultimately chose ACS (where I'm currently doing my PPL). I don't regret my decision in the slightest. I don't wish to cast any aspersions so if you would like to hear my reasoning why I went with ACS please feel free to email me privately.

As Highland Pilot has already alluded to however, ACS at Perth are fantastic. All the instructors are brilliant, I currently fly with Andrew Mac and wouldn't really want to fly with anyone else. All the fleet are well maintained and recently refurbed, ACS run the engineering on the airfield as well so if there are any issues with aircraft they are always resolved really quickly.

The Aeroclub is a superb place to go and soak up info. Its full of pilots who have a genuine passion for aviation and everyone is very welcoming. I sat in the clubhouse today with my books for my upcoming exams and several members sauntered over and ask how you're getting on with the revision etc and if they can help. The hanger next door is also full of interesting flying machines which I find fascinating. There was a 3/4 size Spitfire sitting on the apron today and the hanger is also home to a Tiger Moth which is incredible.

Another big draw to Perth for me was the site itself - Perth airport has 6 active runways. Dundee has 2. The main advantage of this being that the wind rarely prevents flying. If there is a stiff crosswind at Dundee, the chances of flying are nil. Not once have I had to cancel or re-schedule a lesson at Perth due to the wind or weather. This was a big factor for me as I used to have to commute over an hour to get to the airport.

Ultimately, I'd ring each school and arrange for a tour of each. You'll very, very quickly get a feel for which one is going to suit you better. Next stage is a trial lesson. As I mentioned of you want a bit more a detailed explanation please feel free to drop me an email. Meanwhile the very best of luck with your PPL!

dont overfil
9th May 2018, 08:35
Just a small correction to the above.

Strictly speaking ACS don't operate from Cumbernauld. Border Air Training operate from Cumbernauld, Carlisle and Oban and are owned by the same company as ACS.

The the most important thing has been missed. All home landing fees at Perth are included. That will save £1000s!

Forfoxake
9th May 2018, 09:41
The original poster has not said what type of licence he is interested in.

At one of the several microlight schools in Central Scotland, there are no landing fees either, as far as I know, less minimum hours are required for a licence and the hourly training rates will be a bit lower.