PDA

View Full Version : Airfields in Holland.

Archard
24th Jul 2002, 05:08
I don't doubt that this question has been asked many times already, but two of us are planning a two night trip to Holland in mid August in a C172 and we are looking for suggestions as to good airfields to visit and the proximity of any good hotels, etc..

We have acquired the appropriate maps and presume flying proceedures wil be similar to those encountered here in the UK.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated with thanks in advance for any replies which might materialise!:)

Hairyplane
24th Jul 2002, 05:45
Midden Zeeland is a must!

Great restaurant on the field - cracking/ cheap hotel within sight of the airfield. The hotel is on the edge of a lake.

Jude
24th Jul 2002, 09:02
You must visit Texel an island off the coast, 1100m of bowling green smooth grass. Erik the FISO is really welcoming and helpful, just watch out for parachutists. :p

Maarten
24th Jul 2002, 16:57
Jude, when flying to Texel, do you follow the coast and stay below 1500ft in order to stay out of Class A airspace, do you ask for SVFR or do you take the anti clockwise route?

Maarten

Archard
28th Jul 2002, 08:42
Hairyplane and Jude, I thank you for your suggestions which sound excellent and we will try to include these in our itinery.

However, I would have thought there must be more than two airfields worth visiting, so appeal to all other aviators who might have been to Holland to come up with a few more suggestions! :)

Also, if anyone has the answer to Maarten's question, we would be interested in that, as well.

Thanking everyone for all contributions to date.

WeatherJinx
29th Jul 2002, 12:52
Archard

Lelystad (http://www.lelystad-airport.nl/home.htm) is another excellent field - sadly, it puts most GA facilities in the UK to shame.

The surrounding area isn't much to write home about (a bit too 'Milton Keynes' for my liking, as it is in a newly-'reclaimed' region of Holland), but there are fast, cheap and reliable train services to AMS and other destinations from the town (a GBP 6.00 taxi ride away). Good Luck!

WxJx:cool: