PDA

View Full Version : Social security question France

tomol123
2nd May 2018, 17:28
Hi,

first post on on here as I’ve just got my first professional flying job!

I have a question regarding which parts of my pay I pay social security contributions on as I work and live in Paris,

My contract will have x amount per year as my base salary, and after getting my first pay slip, I see I pay contributions on my base salary, however, I was wondering if I have to pay social security contributions on my overnight and sector pay, and is it at the same rate?

Any contribution from anyone that’s ever been or is in the same situation would be much appreciated!

anchorhold
3rd May 2018, 08:20
I suspect that this rather depends if you are deemed to live in France or the UK. The UK DWP must have a definition , especially in respect of transiting through the UK, you may want to opt into the UK National Insurance, if you plan to retire in the UK or europe for that matter.

wiggy
3rd May 2018, 21:31
I’m not really sure we know enough about the OP to provide meaningful comment...do we even know if there’s a U.K. connection?

I know relatively little about the French tax system (other than it’s tax return time again :ugh: ) but I do know that if the OP is permanently employed out of a French airport (i.e. based at one ) the fisc aren’t quietly going to allow him/her to avoid Social Charges by opting for another tax jurisdiction. There might also be other complications if he/she is actually employed by a non French company and is working in France as a posted worker.

(Edit this AM because this just occurred to me overnight)..The OP is referring to their first pay slip .. is he/she new to the French system? I only ask because as many know ATM the France fisc generally don’t do “pay as you go”, I.e. deducting tax etc at source....however personal social charges and tax contributions are assessed in retrospect (tax return) and then you get billed retrospectively (The French the system is about to change to something along the lines of the UK’s PAYE but only for some categories of workers.)

Given the above I’d advise the OP not to spend all the money, bank a fair proportion, and seek the advice of an accountant versed in French Tax law...or failing that if they are brave enough maybe visit the local tax office and talk to someone there to establish the basic principals. (the staff there can actually be v helpful but they will be snowed under at the moment due the aforementioned tax returns....and they were en greve today...at least locally)

tomol123
4th May 2018, 09:28
thank you for your replies,

however, this has nothing to do with the UK, I’m working and living in France,

i just want want to know if social security contributions are taken from overnight and sector pay as well as base pay, as I heard somewhere that most of the overnights and sector pay is tax free?

wiggy
5th May 2018, 06:00
TBH whilst I’m taxed in France my flying is done elsewhere so I can’t tell you how the fisc handle French airport based pilot’s sector pay, etc, but given the current system for assessing and charging tax/social charges often works retrospectively I do understand why you need an answer...but given how important this is I'd not rely just on this forum for the answer ..I'm not sure how well "but a guy on Pprune told me..." translates into French or how well it will go down at the tax office..

Have you tried asking this question on the French sub-forum? Have you got membership of one of the French pilot syndicats such as SNPL? They might be the places/people to ask initially.

Failing that I can only reiterate that your best bet might be either an accountant who understands aviation or seriously consider asking at your local tax office - and that really wasn’t a joke when I mentioned it earlier: there will be on office local to you ( you'll find it in the Pages Jaunes or no doubt with Google), unlike many other countries you can walk in off the street and ask at reception for advice, and I've always found the staff helpful though sometimes a bit formal...but the front desks and offices will be very busy over the next month handling tax return queries so you might find you are dealing with less stressed offcials and shorter queues if you give it a month before walking in..

However you do it, Good luck getting this sorted out....

flyboyike
5th May 2018, 11:48
thank you for your replies,

however, this has nothing to do with the UK, I’m working and living in France,

i just want want to know if social security contributions are taken from overnight and sector pay as well as base pay, as I heard somewhere that most of the overnights and sector pay is tax free?

That's actually a good question. For us in the US, per diem (overnight) pay is tax-free, because it's considered a "reimbursement" for your meal expenses. I'm assuming "sector pay" is anything you make above your mothly guarantee, which in our case is NOT tax-free.
:

wiggy
5th May 2018, 12:16
Even in Europe each country taxes crew allowances differently and companies structure their allowances differently- that’s why I think the OP really needs local advice...

tomol123
13th May 2018, 21:34
Many thanks for the replies!

I guess the answer will come with next months payslip!