PDA

View Full Version : getting ahead of myself?

neilamackie
23rd Jul 2002, 22:22
Hi all,
I am due to start at CATC in October (was originally supposed to start in July, but was postponed after 9/11), and am wondering what I am expected to know/do to prepare myself.

I have no aviation background as such, and know only what I learned for the application interview/tests. How much am I expected to know for Bournemouth??
I know the whole point of the actual training course is to teach me the role etc of an atco, but I would really like to 'get ahead of the game' and make sure that I am properly prepared for CATC.

Any suggestions??

Ta!

fourthreethree
24th Jul 2002, 10:45
There really isn't a lot you can do in preparation, you have obviously displayed all the qualities they are looking for, or you wouldn't be down to start training. Maybe if you haven't already done so, you could visit an ATC centre to see what goes on there, otherwise just go with the flow, my friend.

Like you, I started out with zero aviation knowledge, and oddly enough I found it to be as much of an advantage as anything, because, unlike others on my course who had spent time in Mil centres, held thier PPL's, whatever, I had no pre-concieved ideas of what would be required of me, others had to "redefine" their knowledge, so to speak, but for me I could learn from scratch.

Just be prepared to put in all the work needed for your career path, and I wish you all the best with it.