PDA

View Full Version : Checklists

Scandal
23rd Jul 2002, 20:43
I am about to convert onto a Diamond Katana DA20. Does anyone know where I can get hold of relevant checklists for this aircraft, maybe even a download ??

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2002, 20:56
Don't know where you can get a checklist on-line; perhaps Diamond's tech support people might oblige: e-mail [email protected]

I suppose you could always order one from Sure Check [www.surecheckaviation.com]; if you do, get the pocket version.

MLS-12D:)

P.S. As you probably know, there is a recent thread on this forum wherein many people suggest that a written checklist is unnecessary for a simple single-engine airplane like the DA20. It is a matter of opinion, but arguably you will not need a checklist if you familiarize yourself with the POH and receive a thorough checkout from someone experienced with the aircraft.

mattpilot
23rd Jul 2002, 21:17
every POH (well at least every cessna poh - i assume other manufactures too), has a "operating procedures" section. Look at it and you will find the checklist.

ModernDinosaur
23rd Jul 2002, 21:26
Hi!

I fly the Katana quite a lot a Redhill, and the club there (Cubair) produces its own checklist for their aircraft based on the information in the POH.

A generic version of the Katana POH (for both the -A1 and the -C1) is available in book form written by Ed Helmick - a quick search for "Diamond Katana" in your favourite online bookstore should be successful. This book includes checklists which are pretty good, although not quite the same as the ones Cubair produces (and sells).

Surecheck also have a checklist for the Katana in a handy flip-over binding, although I never really got on with this one as it is a little biased towards the American system (AROW documents, etc).

One thing to watch for on the Katana (DA20-A1 only) is that as the mixture control is automatic, there is no Idle-Cutoff during engine shutdown - you do turn the key just like in a car. However there is a BIG gotcha in this - you MUST let the exhaust cool by running the engine at idle for at least 30 seconds before killing the "mags" otherwise the unburnt fuel expelled while the engine slows and stops can ignite in the exhaust stack and has been known to blow the exhaust muffler. This is not easily spotted during the pre-flight due to the restricted visibility - the Katana has a very tightly cowled engine and only a small inspection opening to check the oil and coolant levels. I have once found a Katana where this had happened and the only way I spotted it was that the coolant bottle had actually melted. I dread to thing what could have happened had the muffler cracked on the other side, away from the inspection port, but right next to the battery...

Safe flying - I hope you like the Katana as much as I do.

Cheers,

MD.

MLS-12D
24th Jul 2002, 14:11
Thanks for the tip MD.

I only flew the Katana once, a couple of years ago. I had to land before completing my checkout, as I found the seats extremely uncomfortable and my lower back was in considerable pain. Other people have told me that they find the seats to be quite comfortable, so it all depends on one's physique I guess.

Too bad for me, as it otherwise seemed like a nice little airplane.

sennadog
24th Jul 2002, 14:51
Just get yourself a POH for the Katana. The check lists are on pages 4-9 to 4-13 for all phases of flight.:)