PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Flight Sim for instrument practice

Pudnucker
15th Apr 2018, 10:29
Hi guys,

probably been done to death but cannot see anything that recent. Need to do some at home practice for my upcoming IRR rating. Just need to practice NDB approaches and ILS etc - not looking for stunning graphics - just need it to work. Preferably has a GNS430 on the panel...

That and a basic joystick.. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

tmmorris
15th Apr 2018, 15:31
MS Flight Sim does all that and was how I finally cracked NDB approaches. It will help with mental mapping and 'what do the needles show' though not of course with the flying - indeed you can do the former using the autopilot.

BoeingBoy
15th Apr 2018, 17:54
I use Carenado's Archer on FSX with Flight One's GNS add on to provide a G430 display. That most closely matches my aircraft.

As tmmorris say's above. A flight sim is great for home practise to enable situational awareness and procedure development but it is no substitute for the real thing.

Sadly not many 'force feedback' sticks are made now but if you can find one then go for it as you get to trim the force in your hand rather than a tendency for the picture to change if you let go. It's closer to the real thing.

Also remember that sadly Microsoft's air becomes thinner than real air whenever a bank is applied. The nose up attitudes needed to maintain level flight in all aircraft are a lot higher in the sim than they are in real life. That's especially the case when you start flying the airliner modlels.

Good Luck.