PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick SVFR to Redhill

MarkBriggs
15th Apr 2018, 05:45
If Norwich can give SVFR clearance to a fixed wing aircraft inbound to land at an aerodrome within their class D, with conditions below the SERA minima of 5k vis BKN 1500' but, above 1500m vis (800m for Helicopters) & BKN 600' or better travelling less than 140 kt.
Can Gatwick do the same for aircraft returning to Redhill?
As far as I can understand, from the CAA, SERA Rules of the air, Implementation key UK changes state.
SVFR
If the vis and cloud are at or above 1500m & BKN 600'. You can remain clear of cloud in sight of the ground, obviously obeying the old rule 5. You can obtain SVFR clearance from the controlling agency and be able to land at an aerodrome within class D below the SERA minima for VFR.
Can anyone clarify this for me?

chevvron
15th Apr 2018, 10:33
Find out from Redhill whether they are allowed to accept you for a visual join; there has been some discussion recently about pilots not being allowed to do visual circuits there when the cloud ceiling is 1500ft or lower but this may not apply if it's cloud base rather than ceiling.

horizon flyer
15th Apr 2018, 17:04
I thought SVFR has higher minimums than normal VFR and was only to allow you in to class D and nothing to due with weather conditions?