PDA

View Full Version : Is this the best Private Flying forum on the net?

BRL
23rd Jul 2002, 12:25
Hi all. I was wondering, having just read this...Last, but not least ..........
Rotorheads is now widely recognised as the leading helicopter forum in the world. That success is entirely due to the consistently high quality of members' contributions.
Thank you.
And, if you have any ideas/suggestions for further improvement, please let us know.
if this forum was the best Private Flying forum on the net. What do you think? Do you think those 'Rotorheads' have got it all wrong or are they correct in thier statement? Whatever you think, share your thoughts here please. Is this the best or are there better sites out there?

What a Loop
23rd Jul 2002, 12:50
Best site I have found

Keep up all the good work.

Some of the discussions and topics are very informative and you always know that someone will know the answer to your question, however stupid it may seem.

:) :) :)

Evo7
23rd Jul 2002, 12:55
It's better than the Flyer/Pilot forums, but the Flyer mailing list is good too - if you can keep up with it (I can't get close - still trying to answer Question of the Week 270...). Haven't discovered any others, but I kind of stopped looking after I found this place... :)

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jul 2002, 12:56
Well moderated, I must say! Most civilised. Very nice site and certainly the best discussion forum I have seen. That there are so many US users also tells us of the quality.

One minor suggestion: change the strapline in the 'Non-airline forums' section. At the moment it says something about 'a place where private pilots can discuss about how they interact with commercial aviation'. That's a bit naff and makes it sound like discussion of private flying is allowed only on sufferance as long as there is always some reference to commercial aviation.

QDM

undertheweather
23rd Jul 2002, 12:56
I agree. Lots of knowledgeable, frequent contributors. Maybe too popular, in the sense that if you post a question, it can disappear off the front page (due to subsequent postings) very quickly.

However, the success of this forum is only a reflection of its users, and any abuse would quickly turn people off.

Keep up the good work.

sennadog
23rd Jul 2002, 15:57
It's very good, nothing to do with the Moderator of course.:p

I haven't bothered looking for another BB related to Private Flying because I don't need to. Amazingly, there is no condecension when people ask a daft question - only polite advice. There is rarely any bitching which is refreshing given the International flavour of the members and the best aspect is the willingness for posters to help out with answers to questions that are posed.

Hopefully, one day I'll have sufficient knowledge to help out newer pilots but in the meatime there are plenty of knowledgeable folks about not to require my input!

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2002, 17:00
As usual, I agree with QDM: lose the reference to our "interact(ion) with commercial aviation".

That aside, a great forum!:) :) :)

distaff_beancounter
23rd Jul 2002, 18:01
Well, there is some interaction with commercial flying surely?

With more commercial training going "Modular" there will be even more people doing a PPL & then going on to CPL. Then there are those who only ever wanted a licence for recreational flying, but after getting a PPL, get hooked & want to fly full time.

Then in the Wannabees forum, scroggs & WWW divert PPL type questions here, so there will always be new posters joining us.

And judgeing by recent threads, a lot of posters are involved in commerical aviation in many roles, but not necessarily as commercial pilots.

Anyhow, it is certainly a lively forum, & the fact that it lurks down the bottom of the main forum menu, does not seem to stop people finding it. :)

formationfoto
27th Jul 2002, 19:13
BRL

Whilst it pains me to admit that this Forum is the best private forum I think that there can be little doubt that it stands head and shoulders above the competition. Great structure, good contributions, mostly good humoured, and plenty of activity.

There is, of course, room for more than one forum and it is good to have a slightly different tone of contribution as you do on both the Flyer and Pilot sites. So keep this great forum going - all you need to do now is make it easy for me to post pictures to the forum and I will be extremely happy.

paulo
28th Jul 2002, 00:03
The only bitching is about the dodgy scouser that moderates it. :D

Hersham Boy
28th Jul 2002, 08:03
No doubt, mate :)

I discovered this from a recommendation when I was using the Flyer forum when I first started PPL training. Have never looked back (but I have a subscription to the mag if Irv or Ian Seager are looking!). This forum has answered many questions and has helped along the way.

JetBlast hasn't answered many questions, but it's worth a look every day as well! :D

Hersh

Holdposition
28th Jul 2002, 12:21
PAULO:

We should be grateful for small mercies, this froum could have been in oral form rather then written:).....perish the thought!!!!

Fujiflyer
28th Jul 2002, 14:35
Course it is, mate.

Being serious though, the aspects which I admire the most are -

1. Incredible wealth of practical information here,

2. Following on from point (1) the ability to be able to ask a question which requires an in depth knowledge to answer - and get a good reply, often within hours of posting, or less,

3. The feeling that most people who contribute here actually care about the quality of the site and as such make an effort to be courteous and helpful towards each other (which really shows, and distinguishes this site from many others),

4. The females ;) :p

Fujiflyer (looking forward to being back in the air soon, brl you'll be one of the first to find out when KT is fixed) :)

englishal
28th Jul 2002, 17:48
Yep its the best ! I must have too much time off, becasue I seem to spend part of most days here :)

(Its also probably responsible for the NHS wating list length, as I see QDM^3 also spends many an hour here :D )

Cheers for the good work, I buy you a beer if we ever meet.

EA:)