The one linked here is L888 in China...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mathiasortmann/sets/72157630581990930/

What is your favourite?

foxcharliep2
10th Apr 2018, 13:17
Lima Triple 8 for sure.... beautiful !

Wizofoz
10th Apr 2018, 13:27
Don't remember the identifier, but DXB-PEK went straight past K2.

Shemya
10th Apr 2018, 14:31
Just flew this yesterday, MEA of FL250. Like being on another planet. A volcano with a crater lake at its base not a cloud in the sky. Noon time with the sun overhead. We were in awe of the beauty of the southern Andes.

WrldWide
10th Apr 2018, 22:37
approaching PURPA from the SW at FL350

schoonerunderwood
10th Apr 2018, 23:27
JFK-HKG via Greenland and the N/Pole

Ascend Charlie
11th Apr 2018, 04:14
Aren't the best high altitude routes in the crew rest area? Using the non-american pronunciation, that is...

West Coast
11th Apr 2018, 04:33
LAX-DEN

Zion park, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Comb Ridge, skirt south of Moab and finially over the Rockies.

westhawk
11th Apr 2018, 04:52
One memorable flight for scenic wonder was PANC-KBFI on a crystal-clear day. Where the mountains meet the sea for sure!

Capn Bloggs
11th Apr 2018, 05:09
YPPH-YNWN.

Beautiful GAFA the whole way. Unmissable!

innuendo
11th Apr 2018, 05:55
Scoresby Sund on a clear day later in the summer when the icebergs are in the fjiord.

JammedStab
11th Apr 2018, 06:33
I agree that the route northwest to PANC is awesome. I find Afghanistan to be quite incredible as well, morebso in the winter.

anyone else?

Oodnadatta
11th Apr 2018, 08:28
I'm with you Bloggs. (#10)
On a good clear day the GAFA goes for flamin' miles.:ok:

Oddnadatta.

EDLB
11th Apr 2018, 10:28
Not as high but scenic. USA south-west has incredible scenery.

https://www.pprune.org/members/118411-edlb-albums-edlb_1-picture1077-img-0055-1.jpg

ACMS
11th Apr 2018, 10:30
I’m with schoonerunderwood.

JFK HKG over the Pole is fantastic.

Nice photos...:ok:

White Knight
11th Apr 2018, 13:05
Crossing the Himalaya (Karakoram) through PURPA; even more impressive on a gin-clear full moon night!

hoss183
11th Apr 2018, 14:49
This thread reminds me of a old mystery - I was travelling back from Japan - LHR back in the 90s and at some point not long, perhaps 2/3 hours after take off was passing over uninhabited snow-covered terrain (Russia? China?). But the puzzling thing was i was seeing lots of parallel lines on the ground. My thoughts were fences, but too visible and too long. Power lines - too many in parallel. some kind of antenna or radar array?
I've since checked on google earth but find nothing similar.
Does that ring any bells with anyone who does this route?

West Coast
11th Apr 2018, 15:43
EDLB

Where in the Midwest is that? Looks like Monument valley.

EDLB
11th Apr 2018, 17:00
Monument valley. Sparsley inhabitated so you could legally go down there to 500 feet. Tried if the thermals there would lift that can up on idle, but you still go slowly down.

22/04
11th Apr 2018, 17:02
DEL-LHR over the Hindu Kush

Hussar 54
11th Apr 2018, 17:57
This thread reminds me of a old mystery - I was travelling back from Japan - LHR back in the 90s and at some point not long, perhaps 2/3 hours after take off was passing over uninhabited snow-covered terrain (Russia? China?). But the puzzling thing was i was seeing lots of parallel lines on the ground. My thoughts were fences, but too visible and too long. Power lines - too many in parallel. some kind of antenna or radar array?

Me too.

At the time, about 1997, I thought they were perhaps tracks or paths through an area used for logging, but interesting....

Wonder if these are the what we saw -

https://www.quora.com/What-is-this-grid-lined-pattern-in-the-landscape-over-Siberia

fantom
11th Apr 2018, 18:09
My best is Norfolk.

mustangsally
11th Apr 2018, 18:18
This happened years ago, very early eighties. Las Vegas to Kansas City, left Las Vegas asked if the canyon tour as available, departure approved, first at 11,000 feet and then up to 13,000 feet at 300 knots, with big sweeping turns back and forth all the way to Lake Powell. Then climbed up to flight level at about 5kts below barber pole and landed at KC on time. Don't think that can happen today.

Flying up and down the Andes, Panama to southern Chile, or the Himalaya's both east and west between Turkey and Hong Kong or SeaTac to Fairbanks at FL180. The coast of Norway is hard to beat. Socal to Vancouver, not bad, not to mention Paris to Budapest.

Third rock from the sun is hard to beat.

albatross
11th Apr 2018, 18:55
Had the joy of flying BA from LHR (London) to CYVR (Vancouver Canada) CAVU All the way over Iceland, Greenland, Arctic Canada and the Rocky Mountains. Not a cloud in the sky all the way. Great Views.
The Himalayas and Andes were nice but I will always will remember that flight. Fun to look down on a lot of places I had worked.

fleigle
11th Apr 2018, 19:57
EDLB
We call that the south-west.
The mid-west is the flat bits east of Colorado to Ohio.
But yes, Monument Valley is fantastic.
Cheers,
f

Callsign Kilo
11th Apr 2018, 20:10
From Level 4 of the staff car park, following the signs marked exit; after 5 consecutive earlies.

woodvale
11th Apr 2018, 21:46
Quite simple, Greenland, over 45 years of flying, nothing competes.

WingNut60
12th Apr 2018, 00:04
DEL-LHR over the Hindu Kush

BKK - Almaty - same deal.
Out to Tajikastan then along the north side of the Tien Shen mountains.

tdracer
12th Apr 2018, 01:01
Haven't had the pleasure to witness it from the flight deck, but as SLF going SEA - ICN. Southwestern Alaska and down towards the Aleutian islands on a clear day is phenomenal - snow covered mountains, ice flows, glaciers, the Pacific. Fantastic.

Best view from the flight deck was a rather ordinary flight test out of Boeing Field. Typical cloudy, rainy Seattle day but just as a I entered the flight deck we broke through the low clouds into a beautiful crystal clear day. The Cascade mountains and Mount Rainier poking through the bright white cloud layer. Absolutely stunning view. One of the regular flight test guys turned to me and said 'stuff like this makes it all worthwhile' :ok:

cooperplace
12th Apr 2018, 04:39
photos please!

Rwy in Sight
12th Apr 2018, 06:13
photos please!

Hear Hear.

Yamagata ken
12th Apr 2018, 11:04

A couple of pissibolities come to mind. The area you are decribing is mostly desert (defined as lack of available water rather than heat; Antarctica is a desert). Depending on wind strength, consistency and sediment availability, they may be seif dunes. Seif dunes are linear features aligned with the prevailing wind as opposed to barchans which are crescent shaped and aligned normal to the wind. There are many seif dunes in central Australia which were active during the last glacial. You can see these on a flight from Perth-Sydney.

An alternative is that they are long wavelength folds which have been excised by erosion and you are looking along strike.

Caveat. Wearing my geologist's hat (it's a fine hat, a magnificent Akubra), its better to do geology standing on the outcrop rather than from 35,000 feet. :)

hoss183
12th Apr 2018, 13:18
Me too.

At the time, about 1997, I thought they were perhaps tracks or paths through an area used for logging, but interesting....

Wonder if these are the what we saw -

https://www.quora.com/What-is-this-grid-lined-pattern-in-the-landscape-over-Siberia

Interesting, thank you

rog747
12th Apr 2018, 13:42
sharm to LGW on a BA 777 is memorable

up over sinai suez nile pyramids then the delta - over the Med crete and santorini - later on the red tiled roofs of old dubrovnik

clear blue skies

fleigle
12th Apr 2018, 13:45
Hoss183 and Yamagata-ken,
I saw somewhere online yesterday that they were seismic lines, must have been a big project, mine were only cleared about a meter wide.
f

pcpmitch
12th Apr 2018, 14:10
In northern siberia there are a significant number of long gas pipelines, they are usually in groups with a track alongside each pipeline, thus appearing as long sets of parallel lines.

costalpilot
12th Apr 2018, 17:04
tupelo to memphis...unmatched

Mr Mac
13th Apr 2018, 17:40
My own preference is up over the ice in mid summer with the multiple sun sets, be it Siberia or northern Canada or mid winter with northern lights. Also as other have said the Andes tracking north from Chile, or Himalayas on DXB China routes. I get a kick looking out of the window anyway, although have to say my own personnel best low level view is Stockport Railway viaduct on approach to Manchester as it means I am nearly home. Though this morning when I was going to take a photo for this thread we were still in the scud when passing over it !!

Have a good weekend
Regards
Mr Mac

VinRouge
13th Apr 2018, 18:12
Seattle to the Oxton RAF base direct. About 78 North during winter, felt like we were flying through the Northern lights.

Never believed you could see movement in it till I saw it myself... We could see the individual streams spiralling round the earth's magnetic field, all pointing towards Thule. Purples, blues, greens.

Not equalled but watching inbound mortars and rockets being taken out by 30mm 2000+ round a minute Gattling guns over Basrah, under the lead streams peak altitude was.... interesting.

Personally think the mountains to the north of Iran, and Tblisi way are pretty in winter. As are the glacier break-ups whilst over Greenland. Some of the icebergs are the size of towns.

Star gazing through Gen 4 NVG is pretty impressive, as you kind find parts of the planet that are completely devoid of light pollution and the sight is truly humbling.

Always giggle when we show pax the Pyramids. They always pretend to be impressed, when actually you know they are thinking "is that it"?