PDA

View Full Version : PPL training in France

knobbygb
23rd Jul 2002, 10:53
Right, the weather is seriously crap, so I'm off to Brittany for a few days with the family next week.:cool:

Thing is, although I'm still only part way through my PPL, I have serioulsy got the bug and can't stand the thought of going on holiday without at least some flying.

My question(s) are:

How easy will I find it to get a couple of hours training in the Nantes area? I assume language would be the main problem - I know as much French as Swahili, I'm afraid. Other threads here suggest English is widely spoken at controlled fields but how realistic am I being?

Anybody got any specific recommendations of schools/airfields to look at. I will do my own web searches, but I'd trust the opinion of you lot more than any 'advertising blurb' on their websites.

I know that just doing a couple of hours abroad won't particularly be of huge advantage in terms of getting the PPL quickly, but I don't really care as long as I gain somthing from it and I can log it towards the 45 hours. I'd just like to experience somthing a little different and FUN. I'd been thinking of doing a couple of hours in a Robin anyway so this might be the ideal opportunity to kill 2 birds... etc.

What do you think?

CBG
24th Jul 2002, 08:43
The fact that you did not get too many replies probably means not many people have done what you suggest.

I'd say the following:

Not sure if Nantes has a flying club but there are several airfields nearby (go look on the FNA web site)

You'd have to become a member of the club to take lessons (about 90 quid for a years membership).

I guess your best bet is to ask for an instructor to take you on a couple of "baptemes de l'air" (trial flights), and ask to sit in the right hand seat.

QDMQDMQDM
24th Jul 2002, 09:13
From good old google.fr:

http://www.chez.com/vannesaeroclub/ecole.htm

Or else send an email to these people who will probably help:

http://www.pilotlist.org/index.php

Bon vol!

QDM