PDA

View Full Version : Ordinary headset for cockpit use

dcoded
8th Apr 2018, 20:00
Hey,

I have a question about "ordinary" phone headsets, and if there is some way to convert them for aviation use.

In my job we are provided with Bose A20, a great headset, but I get tension headaches even after 1hr of flight because of their tight fit.

I have been looking around the net for some In Ear aviation headset, but before I go ahead and purchase one I would like to pose this question.

I have a spare Bose QC 20 (In ear ANR) headset lying around the house, and I was wondering if it is possible to convert them some how for aviation use?
If there is no commercial product available for this, I would probably try to build a solution to try.

To be able to do that, I need to know what specifications the standard "GA Plug-type" has. What Impedance for the Headphone / MIC etc, if some one have it on hand.

Thank you very much.

flyboyike
8th Apr 2018, 20:22
Google is your friend. There is all manner of adapters/converters etc out there. Some are even TSO'd.

Gordon3333
27th Apr 2018, 15:56
Hi...you can probably find the adaptor you need at Mendelssohns or Flightstore they will give you an idea of what is available...worth it if you already have good headset

Hope this helps

Denti
28th Apr 2018, 03:18
And then there is Boses version of the QC-20 for aviation users, the Bose ProFlight. Same in-ear tips, but still an over-the head band, supposedly with much less clamp force than the A20. Gonna get mine hopefully in a month.