PDA

View Full Version : New GA website

Coke611
23rd Jul 2002, 10:25
Hi guys. I am considering making a new webiste, with forums, a bit like PPrune, (obviously not the same) but instead of for commercial aviation, this new one would be for general aviation. It would be a resource for students, pilots, instructors, etc etc.

What I want to know is: do you guys think it would be worth it? Would it be used? Any ideas for a name for this new site? Any other comments?

Any replies appreciated,

Louis Coke

distaff_beancounter
23rd Jul 2002, 10:51
Coke611 ...... WHY?

I am perfectly happy here on PPRuNe:)

Many of the regular posters on this forum, are already commercial pilots, or wanabee commercial pilots, who also regularly dip into the other PPRuNe fora. There is a wealth of knowledge & info on technical, medical, CAA matters, that would be hard to replicate on another website.

(PS Is "fora" the correct plural of forum .... before Keef complains ... but then I can't spell in English, let alone Latin :D )

MikeSamuel
23rd Jul 2002, 11:02
Gave it a go a while back...Here (http://www.stickymicky.co.uk)

Just doesn't get the traffic cause everything you need is here! I really did it just to practise my web design skills...

As my instructor always says...If it ain't broke don't try to fix it...

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jul 2002, 11:11
Louis,

I started and ran a finance website called the Motley Fool UK which has a thriving online community. Many, many people tried to imitate what we had done, particularly the community part, but were unsuccessful because of the head of steam we had built up. It takes a very long time to build up an online community and I'm afraid the competition which pprune provides -- even though it is mainly focused on professional aviation -- makes it a very uphill task, especially if you have no way to drive traffic. By all means try, but be prepared for disappointment.

QDM

Evo7
23rd Jul 2002, 11:25
I'm not worthy, QDM.....

Foolishly yours :)

BRL
23rd Jul 2002, 11:39
QDM Excellent site of yours. Anychance of sending us a Baseball cap.?? :)

Whirlybird
23rd Jul 2002, 11:45
The trouble is, there's a limit to the amount of time most of us have to talk about aviation.:( I used to read the Flyer forums, but rarely go there now. On PPRuNe I used to read loads of forums; now I limit myself to this one and Rotorheads. Another site? Nice idea, but I just don't have time. And I suspect I'm fairly typical.

Coke611
23rd Jul 2002, 12:05
Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe it wasnt such a good idea then!

Cheers,

Louis Coke

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jul 2002, 12:21
Thanks, fellas. :)

Part of our original business model was based around baseball caps, T-shirts and Fool gear. Didn't really work out. Wonder why? ;)

QDM

foxmoth
23rd Jul 2002, 19:10
Another one that seemed well set up for GA was Gapilot, again, did not seem to get the hits because of others already there.

suction
23rd Jul 2002, 20:03
Like MikeS ............ Been there done that for exactly the same reasons. Here's a link to the site stats ............ the Feb peak was when I posted the URL here. Since then, B@gger all.

Stats (http://www.shortfinals.flyer.co.uk/sitestats.jpg)