PDA

View Full Version : What should be in my bag on Day1?

skorpov
7th Apr 2018, 13:18
Hi everyone

I finally managed to get hired by a company and will start flying on the a320 right after doing the OCC.

I've been wondering what's necessary to bring at my first flight and checked out a few videos and posts on the internet.

so far i've listed a few

Tshirt and Underwear. may never know if get diverted.
high visibility vest..that i assume will be given by company?
noise reduction headphone for the walkaround
powerfull flashlight. maybe LED?
Good pens and maybe a clipboard?
headset...everyone is recommending the Bose A20 and so far i've understood it's a must have even at the beginning.
sunglasses. Non polarized - UV 100% - Comfortable with headset. Some said RayBan is not a great choise and to go for Serengeti or American Optics instead.
Trolley Bag itself. Thought to get a good with enough space and a strap on the back.
my main concern is about dimensions. What's the limit for it to fit next to the seat like the attached image? Any Suggestions on brand and model?

What do you guys think? Did i forget about something?
Thank you for everyone replying. Can't wait to start.

eckhard
7th Apr 2018, 15:11
E6B or CRP-5, ruler, protractor, dividers, .......sorry, couldn’t resist! Just kidding!

Seriously, well done on getting the job.

Your list sounds good but I would expect the airline to provide the headset? It should be wired in to the aircraft and include noise-cancelling.
Same goes for the ear protection and hi-viz for the walk-round.

I carry my spare glasses, ipad, charger and cable, battery booster pack, licence, second passport, vaccination certificates, diary (I know, old-fashioned) and liquids. Torch is a must and stapler comes in useful. Instead of batteries for the torch, I carry a spare torch.

As for size, the one in your picture looks good.

Johnny F@rt Pants
7th Apr 2018, 15:12
You forgot the most important thing.......

FOOD.

LICENCE.

Apart from that, carry what you need, and no more.

Sunglasses
Kneeboard (cheap clipboard from a supermarket is good enough)
High vis
Pens (just normal cheap biro’s are fine, no point in leaving a posh pen behind)
Torch

The rest are personal choice -

Small security sized bag with toiletries in case of night stop (I don’t bother with clothes, I can turn my pants inside out and back to front)

Your own headset, I would see what the company ones are first before spending a load of money.

Ear defenders should be provided by the company, so grab a couple of sets from the crew room.

A wallet with a few Euros (or whatever currency is used predominantly where you fly to)

Daysleeper
7th Apr 2018, 15:29
Passport...

Seconded the food thing and a water bottle for filling up in the terminal.

eckhard
7th Apr 2018, 15:41
I must be very spoiled because I never thought of food. If First-Class grub is not available, I would have to consider the crew menu......

But yes; a bag of peanuts and/or a cereal bar is always a good idea.

RAT 5
7th Apr 2018, 16:00
An insulated screw top drinks beaker. I know A320 has a large cockpit, but any slip by the CA and an open drink spilling on any of those panels/boxes etc will cause sparks you do not want.
I used to carry a sunscreen, similar to those you see on car windows to shield the kids. Having your cheeks burnt out by the sun lazering through the sides windows is uncomfortable in extreme. There will be those who frown that it impedes your lookout, but I'm talking of 90 degrees to the side.

A camera, unless you count your phone.

If you have T-shirt & underwear then also a toothbrush & comb.

Swiss penknife, if they let you, or better, a Letterman.

Tippex or some text corrector. Stapler, sellotape (scotch tape).

Pens. Always have a Black one & red one. A highlighter can sometimes be useful, when you need it.

Little black book to write down all the 'I never knew that' & 'good to know' things you will encounter; either about the a/c or the route, or airports etc. (and all the idiocyncrasies of the different captains. :ugh:)

Screen cleaner tissues for all the mucky finger marks left by colleagues.

Johnny F@rt Pants
7th Apr 2018, 16:24
a water bottle for filling up in the terminal.

Really?? You don’t get water?? That must be some really poor airline you work for.

chevvron
7th Apr 2018, 16:46
Skorpov, could you tell us which airline you will be working for because if you have to ask questions like that, I don't think I would want to fly with you.

skorpov
7th Apr 2018, 17:01
E6B or CRP-5, ruler, protractor, dividers, .......sorry, couldn’t resist! Just kidding!

Seriously, well done on getting the job.

Your list sounds good but I would expect the airline to provide the headset? It should be wired in to the aircraft and include noise-cancelling.
Same goes for the ear protection and hi-viz for the walk-round.

I carry my spare glasses, ipad, charger and cable, battery booster pack, licence, second passport, vaccination certificates, diary (I know, old-fashioned) and liquids. Torch is a must and stapler comes in useful. Instead of batteries for the torch, I carry a spare torch.

As for size, the one in your picture looks good.

thanks for the reply :D
put all into the list :)
unforunately the picture i posted was taken from the internet..so still no clue about the size :ugh:

skorpov
7th Apr 2018, 17:07
RAT 5

The a320 should have sunscreens on the sides too. will need to check them out but your idea seems nice.

Even the rest you mentioned. thank you for the reply :) adding everything into my list. thanks for helping to start in the best possible way.

flyboyike
7th Apr 2018, 17:20
Skorpov, could you tell us which airline you will be working for because if you have to ask questions like that, I don't think I would want to fly with you.

Oh relax, Chevvron, it's not like we don't get much weirder stuff than that around here...

fantom
7th Apr 2018, 18:03
Low cost?

KY jelly.

flyboyike
7th Apr 2018, 19:25
We should probably give him some advice on what he should have on day 2, 3, 4 etc...

Reverserbucket
9th Apr 2018, 13:02
There's one of those 'Instanarcissists' on You Tube who will tell you everything you need to know - have a look for 'My Flightbag | This Is What I Carry With Me On A Flight' and you will be told what you should pack for a day out as a blue and yellow loco F/O. She was a student of the NLS who liked to be noticed :rolleyes:.

Union Jack
9th Apr 2018, 15:22
Tippex or some text corrector. Stapler, sellotape (scotch tape).

Worth considering Durex too, even if you are not Australian...

Well done on getting hired!

Jack

PS Surely an intriguing choice of forum?

Uplinker
12th Apr 2018, 10:01
On the Airbus, the old standard pattern large rectangular pilot’s case will easily fit - But you don’t need that much space now that we don’t carry the old huge manuals.

Something about 2/3rds of that size is ample. Top access to the interior is almost essential, since you cannot get to the sides of a case very easily - you have the seat one side and the side panel the other. Wheels if you want, but they get in the way and add weight. If your bag is so heavy that you need wheels, then you are carrying too much stuff around in my opinion.

A small clear bag containing security legal amounts of tooth paste, deoderant, razor and a tooth brush and comb/brush. For unscheduled night stops and of course to enable you to freshen up during a long flight if you feel the need. I carry a small box with a couple of headache pills and immodium (for emergencies! - nothing worse on a flight!).

Clothing wise, I wouldn’t bother. Underwear, socks and shirt can be washed in the sink in your night-stop hotel room, using plain soap or a bit of shower gel the hotel provides. Rinse them then wring them out inside a rolled up towel, and stick them on the towel radiator overnight and use the hairdryer to finish them off in the morning if need be. Hang up the shirt, and iron it when still slightly damp using the iron and board provided in the room to press it and complete the drying.

Perhaps a t-shirt or a jumper if you are going to the restaurant/bar in the evening, but on an unscheduled stop, you will be on minimum rest, so no time to do that really.

I don’t bother with sunglasses - can’t see the screens properly with them on - but I do clip the checklist to the sunvisor if needed. I don’t bother with my own headset - much too expensive - but the ones provided in the cockpit so far have been reasonable ANR types.

Passport, Licence, wallet, torch, ear-defenders, (Peltor H5F fold up ones), hi-viz, book of self compiled useful information you might want to have quick reference to. Spare pens.

Some decent healthy food - salad/fruit etc., most crew food is highly processed sugary/salty crap and very bad for one’s long term health, but beware of security regulations

Carry a stapler !!

Pugilistic Animus
12th Apr 2018, 14:07
A CR3 because you never know...plus no batteries to ever fail

anchorhold
12th Apr 2018, 14:30
As Chevvron, you should not really need to be asking these questions as most are obvious, however there are some less obvious this, which might might make your day better.

(a) An atlas of europe, there used to be one with VORs, airports and airways overprinted. You might wonder why, because it a good way of familiarising yourself with the geography, unlike the newly qualified Easyjet pilot, who did not know where the Bay of Biscay was!!!! It helps you make more informative PAX announcements.
(b) A small packet of wet wipes, both for cleaning you hands after a meal and I have known pilots to clean the displays and wipe the controls.
(c) The RAF type leather flying gloves, both if its cold on the walkaround and you might need them one day in an emergency.
(d)In the long term I would get your own headsets, as it not that hygenic sharing headsets, in my opinion.
(e) Very small packet of dobi dust, it means you can handwash, socks, underwear, and shirt for an unexpected night stop.
(f) I credit card or debit card enable by your bank for use in the continets you will fly.
(g) Small sewing kit, you can get these free in hotels.
(h) Medication to include aspirin, imodian, contraception.
(i) The new LED toches are brilliant, so much better that the old Maglites.
(j) Join BALPA, because they with give you support as a union you if you are invloved in an incident abroad, such was the case with 'Sully'.
(k) A list of aircrew slang, in case you do not know what what dhobi dust is or the difference between a Julie Andrews or a Linford Christie.
(l) European medical card.
(m)Donate blood in the UK and carry your blood donation card, which will state your blood group. I say this is that if your become ill in certain if you need blood HIV might be a problem, and sourcing blood may be a problem for you or your crew.

Finally we are all different, but ask yourself what else you might personally need if you were grounded away from base for five days, if there was a 'lockdown' such as after 9/11 or volcanic activity.

RAT 5
12th Apr 2018, 17:05
The idea of the Atlas is good. I bought the 'Pilots Atlas' paperback version. It's educational to know where you are and over what you are flying. Looking out the window at the old eastern block countries, as you slide down to Greece or Turkey, is beautiful nature, a mixture of sea, mountains & lakes. Much more interesting than the ND MAP and it tells you were you are for your own education and can inform the pax of the same.
It adds a some meat to the bones of your answer when asked afterwards, "where have you been today?" Answering, simply, "Athens" is a bit lame. It taught me a lot and should add some 'lost glamour' to the job. "I had breakfast in Germany, lunch in Greece and dinner in Switzerland, and cups of tea in Bosnia & Italy."

In = Over

skorpov
14th Apr 2018, 00:51
thanks all for the new replies :)

@Reverserbucket
yea..i mean..she looks good and she got an uniform. a combo that easly leads to need of attentions.

@uplinker
thank you for the suggestions. expecially about the bag size.
i actually didn't really wanna bring much on clothes with me.. just underwear and maybe a tshirt if i got much space left.
but i didn't think about the stapler..that's probably usefull while carrying all that paper. thank you very much :)

@anchorhold
i'm waiting since a couple months now to start OCC. got not much left apart of reviewing old manuals and trying to plan ahead.
if you check all the replies you'll notice different suggestions and some people having either a complete different opinion or adding that one item that can save you in a specific situation.
as a stupid example we may take imodium. you'll never need it. but once you do and you don't have it..you're gonna be in deep sh*t. literally.
Sure, most of the things in the list are obvious, but many of them are something i didn't even have to think about while being at flight school.
not sure if trying to plan ahead makes me a bad pilot. i've personally always been tought that as a pilot i should try to have a clear view of what i'm going to face.
this job is full of unexpected situations. so why not learn from who got experience? even for stupid things?

thanks anyway for the suggestions.
as @rat5 i agree that the atlas is a good idea. unfortunately the new generations have a lack in knowledge compared to older ones and i'm sure i miss much on that side too. that one you've mentioned with VOR seems a really good pick.. if the name will come back in your mind please send me a pm :)

unfortunately i don't have a british license but let's see if i will still be able to join BALPA if they'll base me in the UK

aircraft slang is quite interesting. never heard about that acronyms. are those used like worldwide and i can google them or is that european/country/company slang?

thanks again all for the replies.
can't wait to start.

moswey4a
22nd Apr 2018, 08:04
I always carry post-it stickers, that I put on the hotel room door saying "Pilot sleeping!" in addition to the "do not disturb" sign. Cleaning personnel usually understand that and it helps against them knocking on the door or trying to come in on the day of your late check-out before a night flight, because on their list your room shows up as "check out" and they assume that the guest has left already and forgot to remove the do-not-disturb sign (happens all the time!) This way you can sleep instead of explaining to them that you have a late-checkout and were trying to sleep :-)