PDA

View Full Version : Careful with Ryanair Car Insurance

Sober Lark
27th Mar 2018, 18:50
Careful with Ryanair Hire Car Insurance.

What you are quoted on their web site IS NOT what you end up paying. There are lots of hidden extras in their terms and conditions..In my case the amount quoted was almost doubled when I went to collect the car. I didn't take and walked away. You are much better dealing with Car Hire firms directly.

Dealing with their complains centre gets you the two fingers but in their always getting better its a polite two fingers.

Once bitten twice shy. No point keeping a bad experience like this to yourself.

J J Geraghty

farci
28th Mar 2018, 07:33
Careful with Ryanair Hire Car Insurance.

What you are quoted on their web site IS NOT what you end up paying. There are lots of hidden extras in their terms and conditions..In my case the amount quoted was almost doubled when I went to collect the car. I didn't take and walked away. You are much better dealing with Car Hire firms directly.

I'm not defending Ryanair Car Hire but the hidden extras you mention seems to apply to many car hire reservations whether direct or through a consolidator.

Ryanair uses Car Trawler as a source of cars as does Holiday Autos. Always worth comparing the two. IMHO insurance is the biggest car rental scam which is why I buy my own insurance (£40/year) and decline theirs.

ExXB
28th Mar 2018, 07:37
You should complain to your consumer organisation and your Teachta Dála and your MEP. It seems that in most countries it is only the airlines that are required to do all-inclusive pricing.

I too deal only with the rental companies direct. Too many times in the past. I’ve queued up to find that “that insurance isn’t valid in this province” or similar. Dealing directly makes the process a little less painful.

Hipennine
28th Mar 2018, 08:33
And watch out for the roof, underside and glass exclusions. I've looked through a lot of hire co's insurance t&c's, and other re-sold policies, and in most cases the above are excluded.

Like farci, I also now have an annual world-wide policy from an independent, and although I have never damaged a hire car, on two occasions the insurance co has dealt with attempts by hire co's to claim damage occurred.

wowzz
28th Mar 2018, 15:37
The message here is never to book through a consolidator unless you know which car hire company will be used. If a consolidator wants me to pay in advance, without telling me the name of the car hire company, I look elsewhere. Life is to short to get lumbered with a car from Goldcar. (Other terrible car hire companies are available!)

Basil
28th Mar 2018, 15:53
Like others above, I use separate car hire excess insurance and always decline the rental company offer.