PDA

View Full Version : Self Fly Hire out of Johannesburg

Juliet Nine
26th Mar 2018, 22:11
Hi Guys, looking to hire a C172 for 3 or 4 days in November 18. Anyone got any tips or recommendations?

Ta. J9

The Ancient Geek
27th Mar 2018, 00:19
There should be plenty available,Try Lanseria Flying School, confusingly now located at Grand Central FAGC halfway between Joburg and Pretoria,
As always, weekdays are easier than weekends.

Dan Winterland
27th Mar 2018, 10:48
Lanseria best place for sure. Check the requirements though. It's quite a while since I last flew in SA, but they did require you to get a SA PPL - assuming you are a foreign PPL holder. I had to do an air law exam at the SA CAA HQ in Pretoria and a flight test. Also consider that as Jo'berg is 5000ft up, you may want something more powerful than a C172, especially if travelling out to the Kruger.

The Ancient Geek
27th Mar 2018, 19:25
The 172 will be fine, there are a lot of them there but dont expect it to be as spritely as in the UK. There are also a lot of 182s around which are a lot better.
Just be warned that Hot and High means that any runway can be short but November is not likely to be very hot. Just read the book and apply the appropriate factors.

Sultan Ismail
27th Mar 2018, 21:43
To bring you up to date, there are 3 flight schools at Grand Central Airport, namely Superior Air, FTS and Lanseria Flight School. The latter was despatched from the actual Lanseria when it went seriously schedule airlines.
Today 27th March the temperature was 23.8°C and at a field elevation of 5327 feet the Density Altitude was 7201 feet.
A C172 has been beating the circuit all day and into the night.
There is a large selection of aircraft, C172, C182, PA28 and even a Twin Comanche.
For short stay pilots you will probably just have to write Air Law, for longer stays it becomes more onerous.
All the above schools can be contacted on the Web.
For those who don't know Grand Central Airport is midway between Johannesburg and Pretoria and very accessible from the main highways.
I'm here for a couple more days then back to Subang, Malaysia.

Juliet Nine
30th Mar 2018, 19:06
Thanks All. Really useful info. I believe it is possible to do some of the licence validation in the UK before arrival in SA which will save some time.
J9