PDA

View Full Version : ----- FAA vs JAA -----

darrylpeters
22nd Jul 2002, 15:07
I am a wannabe Airline pilot and have only just had my first trial lesson. On a recent trip an English flight school I asked my flight instructor about doing a JAA PPL in USA. He claimed that it was not worth doing a JAA PPL if I wanted to go all the way. Basically he said don't follow the JAA route if you plan on going all the way (for a CPL then ATPL). Rather he suggested that I take the FAA route.

He claimed that I would be able to fly with an FAA PPL in the UK with some clubs so I should go for that first. He also claimed that The JAA route cost a lot of money for nothing. He claimed the FAA route was cheaper and a little quicker too. I have spoken to a few flight instructors and one thing I will say is he was honest.

He also claimed British airways aside, most airlines would welcome an FAA license.

What I want to know from you guys is:

Which route do you recommend. Please try an use some logic in your response. Don't tell me JAA cos your European, or FAA cos your not!!

Has anyone out there had any experiences that would be beneficial for me to know.

By the way I am a British resident if that matters.

P.P.S. Mr. moderator please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Evo7
22nd Jul 2002, 15:21
You can fly a G-reg aircraft in the UK on a FAA PPL (with some restrictions, of course).

If you're an ab-initio Wannabe, then to fly for a UK airline you have to have, as a minimum, a JAR-FCL CPL/multi-IR with ATPL 'knowledge' (i.e. the frozen ATPL). I'm sure he is wrong about you being welcomed with a FAA licence.

However, there are some small signs that it may not always be a case of JAA or FAA - I think that it has just become easier to convert a FAA IR to a JAA IR, for example. Other changes might follow. Or they might not.

If you can live and work in the USA you could, of course, go down the FAA route and fly there.

(several edits to try and give that ramble a semblence of clarity :) )

englishal
22nd Jul 2002, 16:13
Tricky one....

In the past, and especially for older gits, I would recomment the FAA route. This is mainly for financial reasons - it IS a hell of a lot cheaper to get the FAA ATP, if you get employed for a couple of years as an instructor in the US. Its is fairly 'easy' to convert FAA ATP to JAA ATPL, but to get an FAA ATP you NEED 1500 hrs, which is fine if you can work for a couple of years in the US. Working in the US on a 'student' visa for a couple of years is quite possible, or used to be anyway. I think that with recent events, the US is tending to scrutinise foreigners a bit more closely, and so you may run into problems on this front.

Licence.....You can fly on an FAA licence in the UK (day / VFR), but theres no chance you'll be able to fly a G reg (UK) aircraft on one (by this I mean big jet), unless you convert to JAA - so all big airlines, BA, Virgin, etc etc are out. You may find employment around the world flying US registered (N reg) aircraft, but remember to continue being employed as a pilot in the US you just have the legal right to work there, which means green card or US passport. Otherwise, no one will even bother looking at you unless you're fortunate enough to hook up with someone like Ozzy Osborne and fly his Gulfstream for him ;)

Also depends on how quick you want to get into the right seat of a Boeing. In the UK its possible to go from zero to Frozen ATPL in around a year I think, which puts you in good stead to be employed by the airlines. In the US it will take probably 2 years, but remember you'll come out with 1500+ hours and an ATP ( nothing frozen either).

Cost....US, for zero to CPL / ME / IR, about $20,000. So technically for around $30,000 or so you could have an ATP (if you get employed as an instructor to get your hours). UK.......zero to fATPL, will probably cost £50,000:rolleyes:

Swings and roundabouts really....I myself would opt for the FAA route (I would, my wife is American;)), as you get to spend a couple of years in the sun if you go to Cali or Florida. The US system is very good, you get to see loads of interesting places, all sorts of environments, and you come home an experienced pilot. However if you are itching to earn £18k a year, operating the gear and flaps on a Boeing, then do your training in the UK;)

Cheers
EA:D

BRL
22nd Jul 2002, 22:20
DarrylPeters P.P.S. Mr. moderator please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong forum.
Not a problem. I have sent a copy of this to the Wannabees forum too so keep an eye on it there. :)
OOPS, I have just looked and its already on the forum, Oh well, the thought was there. :)